2018 Civic Type R Could Debut in April (U.S.) with 335 BHP

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Agreed... Like the article above notes, the trick is to get the center of mass (and thus angular momentum) as far forward as possible. For the CTR I have some guesses for the model differnces:

• some excellent alloys for the rear suspension subframe (I wonder if that's why they made an entirely separate rear suspension subframe for the stock models in the first place...)
I personally think they did this so they can make an Acura version with AWD... :)
Time will tell. Obviously we have seen NOTHING in spy shots or anything else to indicate this is even a possibility, but there is the RallyCross Honda Civic out there making 600hp on AWD... of course they have professional fabricators but it looks fairly bolt-in.
Sponsored

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Agreed... Like the article above notes, the trick is to get the center of mass (and thus angular momentum) as far forward as possible. For the CTR I have some guesses for the model differnces:

• some excellent alloys for the rear suspension subframe (I wonder if that's why they made an entirely separate rear suspension subframe for the stock models in the first place...)
The independent rear suspension was the result of the new global chassis platform. Many Hondas will share this platform, e.g., Accord, CRV, etc.

Honda needed to make the rear independent to take into account the various drivetrains.

Many car makers are moving towards this global platform, e.g., Toyota and Subaru.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The independent rear suspension was the result of the new global chassis platform. Many Hondas will share this platform, e.g., Accord, CRV, etc.

Honda needed to make the rear independent to take into account the various drivetrains.

Many car makers are moving towards this global platform, e.g., Toyota and Subaru.
I didn't mean the IRS specifically... I think it is assembled as a sub-frame assembly and the whole rear suspension can come off as one unit. Someone with access to exploded drawings can help us with this I bet...

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
"“Body and rigidity is very important for the suspension to work properly. This can be achieved by spot-welding and applying some additional steel structures but that would make the body very heavy. Instead of doing that, we have applied adhesives and have saved 1.5kgs but also increased rigidity. "

Great... Both cars in my garage then would have a chassis that are super glued together like some Hot Wheels toy BAHAHA!

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
I dabbled in the body industry 20 years ago. They were using adhesives then, and much like other things, I expect that there have been advancements in adhesives as well.

I'm not fearful of a superglued car. I actually welcome it, much like cloth thats been fused together with epoxies. ;)

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I dabbled in the body industry 20 years ago. They were using adhesives then, and much like other things, I expect that there have been advancements in adhesives as well.

I'm not fearful of a superglued car. I actually welcome it, much like cloth thats been fused together with epoxies. ;)
Yah I think the NSX uses a lot of adheasives.
Sponsored