Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
40k+ plus dealer markup of at least 5k.... boook it
:lol:Won't sell to anyone outside of a few super-fans and Jay Leno at that price.:doh:

Especially if the Si comes in under 30k, the after market will make it possible to build a CTR clone from an Si and still save 10k.
Sponsored

Last edited:

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
It will be very close to this guys. Come back to reality. Dealers will make you pay for that sentiment of owning a
We know the CTR won't be AWD and will have less HP than the RS. To the average buyer, the RS is superior. Ring times are marketing. Most buyers aren't going to be taking their cars to the track. The RS is more practical in terms of day to day usage.

Back to my original point. If the CTR is priced the same or higher than the RS, why would the average buyer choose the CTR? Better Ring time and supposedly better reliability?
Depends on what really matters to you. The Golf R, RS and STI are AWD they have an amazing acceleration from a standstill compared to the Type R. They allow you to have fun in many road conditions a thing that the CTR cant.

The CTR had many pros too. Easier to maintain no need to deal with changing oil on rear differentials or transfer cases. Less worries of breaking expensive parts (AWD system). Less power is lost moving the drivetrain for that reason the CTR easily wins against the AWD competition in roll races. Plus no matter what hatters like me say about the FWD setup, this car should be a lot more reliable compared to the competition.

It will be very close to this guys. Come back to reality. Dealers will make you pay for that sentiment of owning a Type R the first few months.

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
If it did come out to 40k+5k dealer burn the car itself would flop. That's M2 territory.

Much less that market up and price out puts it almost $10,000 over what the current Type R sells for around the world.

Thinking that is a reality isn't a possibility. Honda will actually want to sell their product ;P

jpmelfi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR #706, 07 S2k
Country flag
So what do we think the average age will be of Type R buyers? Do we think the the price point is out of reach for the younger generation?

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
So what do we think the average age will be of Type R buyers? Do we think the the price point is out of reach for the younger generation?
That's a pretty good question. I'm guessing average age will be 32. People coming out of college that get good jobs and have manageable debt will be the younger buyers and I'm guessing 65 will be the upper range due to the harshness of this type of vehicle. Younger people who aren't thinking about car seats in the back just yet maybe also... I'll have booster seats in mine but there seems to be ample space.

Highschoolers will have to have their parents pay, and I really wouldn't think it's a sensible car for a youthful or immature driver.

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
Issue with an expensive Type R is this IMO. Once you start to get into the 45k+ range you are now in a price point that makes no sense as a reliable weekend warrior HPDE vehicle. People will buy something else that's RWD or AWD with a lot more power. You can't market this car as a track/streetable car at that price as a FWD vehicle. It just doesn't make sense. When you put it at the 32k-38k (OTD) pricing you then compete against an entirely different range of vehicles.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Truth... at least for the first 6-12 months.

Cars with less fanfare like the Golf R and Focus RS followed a similar pattern. Eventually a few dealers will be willing to start selling at or near MSRP once more units reach the lots.

I don't think Honda is doing an inventory incentive on this car like Chrysler did with the Hellcat. If they do, we could see quite a few CTRs being pushed through the lots with relatively small markup.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
The CTR will be the most driver engaging car out there. The golf r, gti, sti, wrx, genesis coupe cant compare. Maybe from a stand still but that's pretty much it. And honestly I don't care for digs. It's boring. 0-60 is irrelevant now. There's a lot more to a car then it's 0-60 time people.

Last edited:

thaseint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
If it did come out to 40k+5k dealer burn the car itself would flop. That's M2 territory.

Much less that market up and price out puts it almost $10,000 over what the current Type R sells for around the world.

Thinking that is a reality isn't a possibility. Honda will actually want to sell their product ;P
Thing is though there are people willing to fork over that kind of money. Whether it's someone with a bunch of money and no sense buying their 16 year old their first car or just someone with too much money and no sense buying it for themselves. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if someone out there was willing to spend $50k on a CTR.

Honda is not going to saturate the market up front. Swindon is a big plant but they are also putting out high volume cars that are sent to countries all over the world. Historically, halo cars like the CTR are low volume and in many instances manufacturers lose money selling those cars. It's much easier and more profitable to sell 4 regular Civic hatchbacks or CR-Vs than it would be to sell 1 CTR. Meeting the market demand up front would be very taxing on the plant and would ultimately cost Honda too much money.

This will be the most likely reality for at least the first year or so.

Personally, I say if you are in need of a replacement car buy/lease a car you can live with, that's inexpensive, pre-owned and wait it out. Find a car that'll last you at least 2 years without any problems then in 2019 if you want a CTR at MRSP you'll likely be able to snag one. Let the fools take the hit on ADMs and save yourself some money.

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
Some people have more money than patientence. It's the gotta have now mentality. YOLO

I'm gonna get one as soon as I can. If I had to pay 5k extra it wouldn't impact my life that much.

That's how capitalism works

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
That's a pretty good question. I'm guessing average age will be 32. People coming out of college that get good jobs and have manageable debt will be the younger buyers and I'm guessing 65 will be the upper range due to the harshness of this type of vehicle. Younger people who aren't thinking about car seats in the back just yet maybe also... I'll have booster seats in mine but there seems to be ample space.

Highschoolers will have to have their parents pay, and I really wouldn't think it's a sensible car for a youthful or immature driver.
Agreed.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Issue with an expensive Type R is this IMO. Once you start to get into the 45k+ range you are now in a price point that makes no sense as a reliable weekend warrior HPDE vehicle. People will buy something else that's RWD or AWD with a lot more power. You can't market this car as a track/streetable car at that price as a FWD vehicle. It just doesn't make sense. When you put it at the 32k-38k (OTD) pricing you then compete against an entirely different range of vehicles.
Bingo.:respect:

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Before I scrolled down, 32 was the exact age in my head, haha. I don't know if I see anyone above like 45 owning this, though...the "mature" (read: not me) crowd might think its too boy-racerish. But if I'm wrong, hats off to the 45 and up crew :headbang:

The CTR will be the most driver engaging car out there. The golf r, frs, sti cant compare. Maybe from a stand still but that's pretty much it. And honestly I don't care for digs. It's boring. 0-60 is irrelevant now. There's a lot more to a car then it's 0-60 time people.
Agreed. Look at the Miata, prime example. Sure isn't a bat out of hell, but definitely highly revered. A complete package >>>> driving in a straight line.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Before I scrolled down, 32 was the exact age in my head, haha. I don't know if I see anyone above like 45 owning this, though...the "mature" (read: not me) crowd might think its too boy-racerish. But if I'm wrong, hats off to the 45 and up crew :headbang:
When I get out to the AutoX, it seems like I'm the young one there at 30ish. Lots of guys approaching or in retirement, and they know what goes fast.
Sponsored