2018 Civic Type R Could Debut in April (U.S.) with 335 BHP

ronmcdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FiestaST, 19 Si, Camaro Z1LE, EvoX, 98 240sx
Country flag
Seriously, consider other factors other than 0-60. That 7.50-ish lap time at the ring from the previous 9th gen ctr is pretty phenomenal. For reference the focus rs did like 8:05 or 8:15. You dont just accomplish that with good acceleration.

And if you are chasing the best acceleration times from a standstill, that is fantastic, but consider that the objective of the current ctr isnt optimized towards that. Consider what you want in a car and the options best suited towards that end.

For around the same 36k range, you cannot beat the camaro ss and mustang gt who get mid to low 4s in 0-60. For some, their money may be better spent towards that. No offense intended either, as i have a mustang myself

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I refuse to believe that the Si will be ~$30k. I'm thinking $28k, tops, or so help my wallet. In the past, the Si has been priced below the top trim. I don't see it the Si increasing by over $7k.
Well, the Sport Touring is listed at around $28.3. If you are correct, then the Si is even more of a bargain even if the CTR lands at $35k flat.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I refuse to believe that the Si will be ~$30k. I'm thinking $28k, tops, or so help my wallet. In the past, the Si has been priced below the top trim. I don't see it the Si increasing by over $7k.
I honestly doubt it will start over $25k. Then again I could be surprised. It will definitely be less than a Touring. Very close to EX-L if history is any indicator.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Gah. Just got off the phone with my Honda guy. Their Rep just left the dealership and they're saying it will be July or August before we will see the CTR on the ground and wasn't very confident in that date.
I talked to my dude who talked to his guy who is NA VP in Marketing(?) PR(?) (He's the guy that calls my dude when he wants to do a Honda sponsored build for SEMA and the like) and he stated the TypeR would be on dealer lots 3 months before SEMA. Additionally, Honda will not be doing any SEMA builds using the TypeR as a starting point. They believe the car is perfect as it is and won't be messing with it.
Of course, other companies and tuners will do builds, and Honda will do Si builds...
No info on arrival of Si.

*edit*
One thing I forgot to add - my dude says the Type R would be coming in at $32,000!

So I guess we're all just going to have to settle in and wait. If it's August, that's a full 7 months from now... I mean I've waited about 4 years already so what's a little more?

Last edited:

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
$32k... That would change the performance automobile world.
Absolutely. Holy crap if this comes as a true race car for the road and an MSRP of $32... game over. Honda will be the undisputed bang-for-the-buck winner in the compact range.

(Now if we can get the S2000 successor available in soft and Hardtop, a Fit Si, and an S660 Si, Honda would be back to 'pwning' all)

Aero2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Country flag
All of the hot hatches are fairly similar on paper with regards to performance specs, so reliability becomes the most important aspect to me. Reliability is why I have owned Hondas since I bought my very first car, many years ago.
That's largely my view. When all else is equal, go with Honda, and this approach has certainly paid off with my rock-solid 2010 TSX. But in this segment, other factors come into play for me, so it isn't as simple.

First, I prioritize steering feel, and with electric assist decent steering feel/feedback is difficult to find. Honda/Acura aren't the worst for this, but they haven't been great either. The Focus ST, on the other hand, has excellent steering that I'm not sure the Civic Si or Type-R will match. Second, I live in the city so a brutally stiff suspension is out of the question. The Si and Type-R, with their adjustable dampers, definitely have my attention. In fact, it's very likely my next car will be an Si sedan, but if the Type-R has enough compliance I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Absolutely. Holy crap if this comes as a true race car for the road and an MSRP of $32... game over. Honda will be the undisputed bang-for-the-buck winner in the compact range.

(Now if we can get the S2000 successor available in soft and Hardtop, a Fit Si, and an S660 Si, Honda would be back to 'pwning' all)
theres talk of a S2000 debut at Honda's 70th anniversary event, just don't know when the hell theyre going to do that event :hmm:

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
32k sounds about right. It'll have to be less than the RS and STI given that the CTR isn't AWD.

If it ends up being 35-36, why would the average buyer want the CTR over the RS? On paper, the RS appears superior. Honda would be shooting themselves in the foot.

BABear70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017' Honda Civic Type R in Ralley Red R-04344, 2016' Honda Civic Touring Sedan in Ralley Red, 1997' Honda Civic CX Hatchback in Electron Blue Pearl
Country flag
32k sounds about right. It'll have to be less than the RS and STI given that the CTR isn't AWD.

If it ends up being 35-36, why would the average buyer want the CTR over the RS? On paper, the RS appears superior. Honda would be shooting themselves in the foot.
I would still NOT buy the RS... Not a Ford fan at all so Honda would still be my choice...

BA...

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

I guess if it works out that Honda is selling at MSRP but RS is selling with the crazy markup that is rumored...

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
Does anyone know if the UK edition Type R came with any of the safety features available with the standard editions of the Civic? I'm meaning lane assist warning, Collision Mitigation Braking System, etc.? I'm wondering if the newest Type R would have these features.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I will still be buying the CTR at $35-$36 over the RS because it is a Honda, foremost, with superior reliability. I also prefer FWD as it is lighter with better turn-in.

dawsonj87

First Name
Dawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Civic EX Coupe, 2001 Honda CB250
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does anyone know if the UK edition Type R came with any of the safety features available with the standard editions of the Civic? I'm meaning lane assist warning, Collision Mitigation Braking System, etc.? I'm wondering if the newest Type R would have these features.
In all of the pictures I've seen of the mule and prototype I can't quite make out the camera on the right mirror, so I'm assuming the CTR is a bit watered down in the area of safety features like that.
Sponsored