2018 Civic Type R Could Debut in April (U.S.) with 335 BHP

phillyphan09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
So does this mean the Si will be available before April or do you think they will release the Type-R first to try and draw in would-be Si buyers?
Sponsored

BABear70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017' Honda Civic Type R in Ralley Red R-04344, 2016' Honda Civic Touring Sedan in Ralley Red, 1997' Honda Civic CX Hatchback in Electron Blue Pearl
Country flag
So does this mean the Si will be available before April or do you think they will release the Type-R first to try and draw in would-be Si buyers?
That's the thing... Haven't heard a darn thing about a release date or availability on the Si...

I woulda expected it to come out BEFORE the Type R but Honda might want to use it as a second choice to the R... Not sure what their thinking is...

BA

phillyphan09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
That's the thing... Haven't heard a darn thing about a release date or availability on the Si...

I woulda expected it to come out BEFORE the Type R but Honda might want to use it as a second choice to the R... Not sure what their thinking is...

BA
I'm disappointed there hasn't been much news on the Si, especially the sedan (for my own selfish reasons).

I also expected it to release well before the Type-R. I guess I'll have to keep on waiting :(

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
RolledaNsx over at VTEC.net whose a credible source there seems to agree with you regarding Geneva.

Quoted "
Production CTR will debut at Geneva Motor Show in March.

Talk from HondaUK is that production for CTR will not start until Summer 17."
I wonder if Honda is going to make 1000 units for the first lucky people in America, then build whatever the market demands for the MY2018s....

I actually don't mind waiting for the MY2018

ronmcdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FiestaST, 19 Si, Camaro Z1LE, EvoX, 98 240sx
Country flag
Awesome if the release date is so close. Can't wait to see the pricing and how the ctr compares to the focus RS. Great info

ronmcdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FiestaST, 19 Si, Camaro Z1LE, EvoX, 98 240sx
Country flag
I doubt they Nerf the car for NA. They are selling it as a Ring-champion legend, something less than that would defeat the point.

It won't be an STi challenger with less power that's for sure.
I don't know for sure, but I have a feeling the Sti won't even be able to compete. Which is not a bad thing because Subaru needs to get their act together with the Sti, and maybe the ctr and focus RS will be incentive for them to wake up. It's barely that different a car since the usdm version in the early 00s

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
What I'm more interested in than anything is the curb weight. This new chassis seems to be 2739-2900 pounds for the standard models. Euro spec Type R old chassis was 3,028 lbs. interesting to see what it comes out as!

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
This video confirms the Japanese reps summer 2017 release time for the Type R at 2:55. Being that we know the states will get it first, it seems very likely that there will be a spring/late spring launch for the US.

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
I lurk most the times over at Vtec.net, there's a member there name Jeffx, I'm guessing he's a moderator or admin for that site, and this is what he posted:

"I hope Tyrone Biggums isn't disappointed when he hears that the CTR won't be on sale this spring. It'll be later than that"

"I should add that I was talking about in the USA. The Si may land in the Spring timeframe, but the CTR will be later."

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
As I mentioned to Jeff, I don't think it's that far off. May 2017 completes the 18 month release cycle that Honda has mentioned repeatedly in their press releases involving the Civic. The only reason they'd delay is if a trim in their lineup is running behind. Which, based on the lack of info surrounding the Si's anticipated release, would suggest that's quite possibly the case here.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't know for sure, but I have a feeling the Sti won't even be able to compete. Which is not a bad thing because Subaru needs to get their act together with the Sti, and maybe the ctr and focus RS will be incentive for them to wake up. It's barely that different a car since the usdm version in the early 00s
I agree, but I was using STi as a generalization for all of that general class of sub-5.0 hot cars. If the CTR isn't sub-5, it's going to have a hard time finding a market.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
I think a lot of people will be surprised how good the type r will be. It's definitely upper class. It's gonna shock a lot of people, and I know there will be a lot of people butt hurt over it. Lol at the people that say it's just a civic at the end of the day. I can't wait to see the hatred. The aftermarket world for this car will explode. It will be crazy.
Sponsored