2018 Civic Si Ktuner vs. 2014 Q50 Sport Stock

From 60-120mph - who do you have your money on?

• Total voters

therealcode

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
As my first thread - I hate to sound like I'm 16 (kinda feels like it after driving a '11 Mazda3 Auto the last 8 years) but this topic came up recently in a group of friends. Trying to figure out which car is faster and most of my car buddies involved in this debate/argument (anti-Honda folks) keep saying "no replacement for displacement"...

My buddy just bought a '14 Q50 sport package (not Red Sport - still the 3.7L NA) and keeps running his mouth he'll destory my car from a roll. We we're just supposed to have a quick friendly run from 60-120 but I guess his pride got the best of him and after him throwing a bunch of low-blow personal attacks it's turning into a more serious matter.

Now - my initial thoughts were, he's got 328hp @ the crank and 269 ft/lb of torque on a car that weighs 1,000lbs more. After considering drivetrain loss for his AWD - I figured it would be a pretty close race. If anything I wouldn't bet money but think my Si would pull on him @ 60mph especially with the tune (19.5/23 Starter).

I haven't been able to find any comparable races (except older Si vs. G37) on YouTube or the forums and would love to hear what you guys think. From the hole I'd obviously get destroyed (comparing 1/4 times, 6spd vs auto, traction...).

We're going to end up settling this on the track once they open up around here - but now he's wanting to wager a decent amount of chedda'. Rules are: His car will remain stock (excl tires) and I can do any mods I want (let's assume I only have ktuner and nothing else). Yes, he's a super cocky mf...

I found this dyno chart from a stock Q50 and the numbers are WAY lower than I expected... thoughts?
https://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/69-7083_dyno.pdf

PS: I WOULD just go for a quick highway run - but even though he was the one challenging me - after telling him it's tuned he suddenly thinks "racing a Honda isn't worth my time". Sounds like he's wimping out, but the sh*t talk doesn't stop unless I concede (which I won't unless I lose). Mentioning the extra 1K lbs, 17-25% drivetrain loss, and AWD racing from a roll disadvantage doesn't seem to phase him. He's a "more horsepower is more fast" and that's that.

PPS: I used to hate these kinda of posts when I was younger... But being out the game for a while want to know where I stand. I had a 12.1' sec '98 Eclipse GSX, tuned E36 M3, 240SX w/ turbo, MR2 gen2 turbo, 2011 Yamaha R6, then the '11 Mazda3 for 8 years... So coming back to scene trying to get an idea of where I stand nowadays.
Sponsored

OP
OP

therealcode

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
@Zooropa82 Yeah - I definitely won't beat a Red Sport... I had a little fun with my friend's '17 Q60 Red Sport and I got pulled on pretty hard... not as hard as the modded C6 Z06 - but still got myself a spanking.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2014 Q50 0-60=5.1 sec.

OP
OP

therealcode

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Thanks for the responses guys - I've compared 0-60 times and 1/4 mile each stock side-by-side of course... But from the limited data on gen 10 1/4 and 0-60 times with Ktuner 19.5/23 - it's hard to tell. I've seen low 14's on some anecdotes which would put that extremely close to the Q50. AWD would give the Q50 the advantage if we're talking 1/4 mile times though..

tapakidney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ABM Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Thanks for the responses guys - I've compared 0-60 times and 1/4 mile each stock side-by-side of course... But from the limited data on gen 10 1/4 and 0-60 times with Ktuner 19.5/23 - it's hard to tell. I've seen low 14's on some anecdotes which would put that extremely close to the Q50. AWD would give the Q50 the advantage if we're talking 1/4 mile times though..
How much is he talking about betting? Might be worth modding your car more, if he’s wagering enough.

Also - that is one boring-ass looking car. No manual either? Your friend is pretty lame.

Last edited:
OP
OP

therealcode

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Lol - he's defnitelty a lame. Only got the car because his other besties all drive Red Sports. He's talking about wagering $1000. It wouldn't kill me but would hurt losing (more emotionally than anything since he's NOT a car guy at all).

He's been avoiding me ever since calling me out then bailing because "its not worth his time" lmfao. I wanna race - but if I lost I'd never hear the end of it.

Considering more mods... but don't want to just for the heck of beating him. Once I get bored I'm sure I'll start with clutch/e85.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Strange friendship right there.
Friends don’t let friends buy middle age crisis cars or wager $1000 on a street race. Friends get greasy with you changing out springs.

Speeder92

Blue Dream
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can weigh in this pretty well.. I work at Infiniti my co worker has a 3.7 q50 and he we raced, he got a lead on me pretty good, but it was close.. with a tune and maybe an intake/ headers, I think I might of been able to beat him, the new 3.0t q50 I don't think you'd stand a chance, but the 3.7 is the exact same as what's in the g37

OP
OP

therealcode

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I can weigh in this pretty well.. I work at Infiniti my co worker has a 3.7 q50 and he we raced, he got a lead on me pretty good, but it was close.. with a tune and maybe an intake/ headers, I think I might of been able to beat him, the new 3.0t q50 I don't think you'd stand a chance, but the 3.7 is the exact same as what's in the g37
This is super useful to know - thanks! I figured stock vs. stock the Si would get walked but not terribly. Since I haven't hit the track or dyno I can't give specific numbers on my tune - but it definitely feels night and day. I'm hoping the stock turbo has enough high-end to pull on the stock Q50 3.7. Yeah - the 3.0t is no joke. My buddies Q60 Red 400 (with tune) is stupid quick.

Speeder92

Blue Dream
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is super useful to know - thanks! I figured stock vs. stock the Si would get walked but not terribly. Since I haven't hit the track or dyno I can't give specific numbers on my tune - but it definitely feels night and day. I'm hoping the stock turbo has enough high-end to pull on the stock Q50 3.7. Yeah - the 3.0t is no joke. My buddies Q60 Red 400 (with tune) is stupid quick.
lol yea i love driving those red sports, even with no tune, they are crazy fun, even just the 300 hp 3.0T is crazy fun to drive

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
Lol - he's defnitelty a lame. Only got the car because his other besties all drive Red Sports. He's talking about wagering $1000. It wouldn't kill me but would hurt losing (more emotionally than anything since he's NOT a car guy at all).

He's been avoiding me ever since calling me out then bailing because "its not worth his time" lmfao. I wanna race - but if I lost I'd never hear the end of it.

Considering more mods... but don't want to just for the heck of beating him. Once I get bored I'm sure I'll start with clutch/e85.
FX350 clutch, E30 blend custom tuned via Vit, 3inch catless downpipe, Prl Cobra intake, set of pilot super sports. :thumbsup:

StillCrawlin

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
76 280z,83 Toyota 4x4, 87 4runner,and a 2018 si coupe
Country flag
How did this turnout????