tye13

First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda civic EX-T 2018
Hi Guys,

I've decided to buy a new 2018 civic EX-T, and I was initially set on not getting any extended warranty, but after search the forum a bit, I see that a decent number of people bought the extended warranty. I was wondering if there are people who didn't buy it and regret it, and what the general consensus is on whether or not it's actually worth it.

Also if you do get it doesn't it mean you have get your car serviced at the dealership under a strict schedule to keep your warranty?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Partinrn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6mt
Hi Guys,

I've decided to buy a new 2018 civic EX-T, and I was initially set on not getting any extended warranty, but after search the forum a bit, I see that a decent number of people bought the extended warranty. I was wondering if there are people who didn't buy it and regret it, and what the general consensus is on whether or not it's actually worth it.

Also if you do get it doesn't it mean you have get your car serviced at the dealership under a strict schedule to keep your warranty?

Thanks!
I have the extended warranty. I’d rather have the peace of mind (also, having had a BMW under warranty that I heavily modified, I understand the legalities of them having to prove what I did to the car caused the issue at hand). I also spoke to the service manager about certain upgrades and there should be no issue (intake, exhaust, springs, light tune).

There is no strict schedule but at my dealership if they do all of the service work, they will guarantee the engine and components for life.

With that being said, it’s your $$.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
Hi Guys,

Thanks!
Extended Warranties.....

They don't exist in this country. Rather an item you purchase must last a reasonable amount of time.

Honda's come with 7 years of warranty here.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Hi Guys,

Thanks!
I never take those warranty on any of my cars.
With the money I save, I can pay easily for any repair....if needed.

If you must go to the dealer for service ( I don't know ) to keep warranty, this will cost you more ( lots of ) money.

Six7One

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
It really depends on how long you'll keep the vehicle. We bought a certified pre-owned. Even though it came with a superb powertrain warranty, we bought the extended warranty. Electronics in these vehicles are expensive. With the LKAS, GPS and Satellite radio, it made sense as we're planning on keeping the vehicle well beyond 100k miles.

I never take those warranty on any of my cars.
With the money I save, I can pay easily for any repair....if needed.

If you must go to the dealer for service ( I don't know ) to keep warranty, this will cost you more ( lots of ) money.

frankgrimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatch Sport, 08' Pilot EX
Country flag
This may be a pinch biased due to what I've run into with my Sport Hatch...

With my shiny new 17' sport hatchback I didn't opt for an extended warranty (it's a Honda isn't it?). After 4 months I took it into Toronto for a show and when leaving turned it on only to have it sputter out and the dash light up with errors about the hill-assist and a rash of other warnings. I opted to turn it over again and it started this time but ran rough however it was able to make its way home and to the dealership the next morning.

The speculation from the mechanic/dealership was 'something' in front of the turbo was loose or broke free, chewed up the intake fan, banged around in cylinder 4 and took a streak out of the liner, chattered back out the exhaust fan and ended up in the cat. A replacement turbo, head, block, cat, piston were all covered under the stock warranty. With such a catastrophic failure under my belt and the few operational anomalies with the touchscreen I thought those were enough of a sign to get the extended warranty. The dealership helped with the cost of the extended given the lack of confidence we have the vehicle.

Little blue has been back in my hands for a year now but the warranty has been made use of more than once since, albeit for nothing nearly as big as a blown engine. Little things like the rear seat belts not fully retracting on their own and replacing loose outside plastic covers beside the windshield have been the latest to be addressed but there are still quirks with the controls and entertainment system that are still 'fixed' by resetting the computer.

I expect (hope) to get 15+ years our of this car but it's already been in the shop longer than the sum of time my 02' Accord has spent in there, which was replaced by the Civic. As I've never heard of something so catastrophic elsewhere with the 17' sport hatch it may have very well been a fluke too.

markc72

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L w/NAVI
Country flag
Opted for the 7 year 100000 mile warranty when I purchased mine a few weeks back. Normal price was $1800, but got it down to $1000. More for piece of mind and the basic 3yr 36ooo really is just limited with not full coverage.

hashsi99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Hi Guys,

Thanks!
I purchased a 8yr 120k 0 deductible from Hyannis for $1050.

To me it’s a no brainer. 2 “minor” repairs and it pays for itself

OP
OP

tye13

First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda civic EX-T 2018
This may be a pinch biased due to what I've run into with my Sport Hatch...

With my shiny new 17' sport hatchback I didn't opt for an extended warranty (it's a Honda isn't it?). After 4 months I took it into Toronto for a show and when leaving turned it on only to have it sputter out and the dash light up with errors about the hill-assist and a rash of other warnings. I opted to turn it over again and it started this time but ran rough however it was able to make its way home and to the dealership the next morning.

The speculation from the mechanic/dealership was 'something' in front of the turbo was loose or broke free, chewed up the intake fan, banged around in cylinder 4 and took a streak out of the liner, chattered back out the exhaust fan and ended up in the cat. A replacement turbo, head, block, cat, piston were all covered under the stock warranty. With such a catastrophic failure under my belt and the few operational anomalies with the touchscreen I thought those were enough of a sign to get the extended warranty. The dealership helped with the cost of the extended given the lack of confidence we have the vehicle.

Little blue has been back in my hands for a year now but the warranty has been made use of more than once since, albeit for nothing nearly as big as a blown engine. Little things like the rear seat belts not fully retracting on their own and replacing loose outside plastic covers beside the windshield have been the latest to be addressed but there are still quirks with the controls and entertainment system that are still 'fixed' by resetting the computer.

I expect (hope) to get 15+ years our of this car but it's already been in the shop longer than the sum of time my 02' Accord has spent in there, which was replaced by the Civic. As I've never heard of something so catastrophic elsewhere with the 17' sport hatch it may have very well been a fluke too.
damn that's crazy, good thing you were still in the factory warranty. I've done a bunch of research and I'm currently going to turn down the extended warranty. Ill see how things go with the first year or two of the car and maybe ill buy it near the end of the factory warranty

Asmith

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic lx cvt, 2009 hummer H3
Country flag
One of the reasons I went after a used model with low miles. One I saved on the lost value when it left the lot and two I got a certified CPO warranty with it and got a very good deal. 16200 out the door (including taxes,tags, and all fees. car had 12k miles

Almostfast

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Sport Touring
Country flag
I got a 10 year 120k warranty with my sport touring. It's not the Honda care, but it's no deductible if I have the service at my dealer, and it includes road hazard, interior and and paint protection for 1100$

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
In Canada, there is no extended warranty from 3rd party.
I did buy 7 years/100k miles from the dealership when I purchased my Civic back in Oct-2017. I paid $1,700CAN. The way I figured, I am sure there will be a few major repairs within 7 years of ownership.

Last edited:

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
Honda care 96mo/120k $0
Deductible .
CTR 's 3 mode shocks is $400 each and I drive in +R everyday .
Funny it only cost me $1100. No brainer

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
how much are typically extended warranties and what do they cover ? Just powertrain or bumper to bumper like the 3yr/36k ?

I've never bought one because I'd just use the money for the repair. Also, I feel like if something did actually come up, they would say that it wasn't covered under a certain clause in the warranty that you'd need a law degree to actually understand.

n2da2nd

It's Senor Bane to ya
First Name
Nam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just bought mine today as well since i got the 0% interest promotion for 2yrs on my credit card. 8yrs/120k extended warranty with 6yrs/80k on oil change. My last car was a Honda CPO and I drove it close to 70k within 6yrs. Now that I've got a brand new car, I plan to keep it beyond 10yrs.
OP. if you plan to see how things pan out after 2 yrs, keep in mind that some of the fine prints on my quote/contract say that "plans apply for new vehicle under 6k miles", so prices and plans might change. Some other dealerships also willing to certified your vehicle with a fee, so that can be another option for you.
Sponsored

Last edited: