First Name
sharmelan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EXT
Country flag
Hello All,

I am now in possession of my first ever Civic. I am coming from a BMW 335xi with Harman Kardon based system; which wasn't magical itself, but perfectly palatable any given day. My Civic's audio is piss poor in comparison. I can live with the general sonic quality of the system, but the lack of bass is concerning me. I am not looking for bass that rattles other cars at stop light or disturb the neighborhood, but rather interested in a system to restore the missing bass frequencies to help music sound fuller.

I am not a techie, so I am going to use a shop for the install process. A local technician suggested a chip to restore the bass and a subwoofer to go along with it.

Dilemma.

The subwoofer either has to go into the Trunk or I have to settle for a small enclosed ones that fit under the seat. Both rob valuable space in their respective region.

Question.

Has anyone succeeded installing the woofer on the back between the 2 speakers that already exist there??? is this even a possibility? I could not find a thread anywhere that can refer me to an install of such nature where I can reference whats done and point that to the installation guy. If there is a thread somewhere and I happen to miss it, I apologize in advance for the oversight.

Please share your valuable knowledge and guide me on the process.

Thank You
Sponsored

Manstink1

First Name
cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic ex-t Aegean Blue Metalic 2006 civic lx shoreline mist metallic
Country flag
Hello All,

I am now in possession of my first ever Civic. I am coming from a BMW 335xi with Harman Kardon based system; which wasn't magical itself, but perfectly palatable any given day. My Civic's audio is piss poor in comparison. I can live with the general sonic quality of the system, but the lack of bass is concerning me. I am not looking for bass that rattles other cars at stop light or disturb the neighborhood, but rather interested in a system to restore the missing bass frequencies to help music sound fuller.

I am not a techie, so I am going to use a shop for the install process. A local technician suggested a chip to restore the bass and a subwoofer to go along with it.

Dilemma.

The subwoofer either has to go into the Trunk or I have to settle for a small enclosed ones that fit under the seat. Both rob valuable space in their respective region.

Question.

Has anyone succeeded installing the woofer on the back between the 2 speakers that already exist there??? is this even a possibility? I could not find a thread anywhere that can refer me to an install of such nature where I can reference whats done and point that to the installation guy. If there is a thread somewhere and I happen to miss it, I apologize in advance for the oversight.

Please share your valuable knowledge and guide me on the process.

Thank You
Im sure it is possible to mount a subwoofer in the area in the rear deck, but it would be quite a bit of work. there isnt a hole cut in the metal to allow for a subwoofer, so you would have to cut it yourself. also the plastic trim piece that covers the rear deck doesnt have the holes to allow the sound to pass through, so the bass might be muffled. the plastic piece could be bought or you could drill your own holes if you are on a budget.
ive been thinking of doing this myself for a while

OP
OP

sharmelan

First Name
sharmelan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EXT
Country flag
Im sure it is possible to mount a subwoofer in the area in the rear deck, but it would be quite a bit of work. there isnt a hole cut in the metal to allow for a subwoofer, so you would have to cut it yourself. also the plastic trim piece that covers the rear deck doesnt have the holes to allow the sound to pass through, so the bass might be muffled. the plastic piece could be bought or you could drill your own holes if you are on a budget.
ive been thinking of doing this myself for a while
Pardon my silly question.

How does a normal subwoofer work when its put in the Trunk without any holes (the enclosure ones that folks usually do)?? If that works, wouldn't this work without a hole too??? I am an non-technical noob; hence I ask.

I even talked to the Car installation guy and asked him whether he can simply mount the Kicker Hideaway modules between the two speakers in the ceiling of the trunk. I am not sure if all cars are the same, my speakers and cables are all exposed at all times. So that install should be a piece of cake; I hope. But like you said, I am still concerned if the bass notes aren't going to make it through to the cabin as much as I would like. I am not going for thumping bass at all and I am open to play with EQ once a woofer is in. So long the lower end makes it through to cabin and the music sounds fuller, I am golden.

Do you think that I am missing something?

The Subwoofer that I am thinking about is (Based on reviews and size advantage)
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kicker...-150w-amplifier-black/3526208.p?skuId=3526208

Manstink1

First Name
cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Pardon my silly question.

How does a normal subwoofer work when its put in the Trunk without any holes (the enclosure ones that folks usually do)?? If that works, wouldn't this work without a hole too??? I am an non-technical noob; hence I ask.

I even talked to the Car installation guy and asked him whether he can simply mount the Kicker Hideaway modules between the two speakers in the ceiling of the trunk. I am not sure if all cars are the same, my speakers and cables are all exposed at all times. So that install should be a piece of cake; I hope. But like you said, I am still concerned if the bass notes aren't going to make it through to the cabin as much as I would like. I am not going for thumping bass at all and I am open to play with EQ once a woofer is in. So long the lower end makes it through to cabin and the music sounds fuller, I am golden.

Do you think that I am missing something?

The Subwoofer that I am thinking about is (Based on reviews and size advantage)
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kicker...-150w-amplifier-black/3526208.p?skuId=3526208
That floor mounted subwoofer doesn't look like it has any way to mount up between the two speakers, so you might have to find a way to hold it up there.
The trunk mounted subwoofers with the enclosures are usually the ones that just make the car vibrate until your teeth fall out.
The way honda does it is they position the speaker in a hole facing up into the cabin and use the trunk as an enclosure. if you went with a seperate sub and amp that weren't all in one unit then you could do that, you would have to cut the circular hole and drill holes for screws to mount the sub and amp. but it would work and wouldn't be seen.

OP
OP

sharmelan

First Name
sharmelan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EXT
Country flag
That floor mounted subwoofer doesn't look like it has any way to mount up between the two speakers, so you might have to find a way to hold it up there.
The trunk mounted subwoofers with the enclosures are usually the ones that just make the car vibrate until your teeth fall out.
The way honda does it is they position the speaker in a hole facing up into the cabin and use the trunk as an enclosure. if you went with a seperate sub and amp that weren't all in one unit then you could do that, you would have to cut the circular hole and drill holes for screws to mount the sub and amp. but it would work and wouldn't be seen.

Definitely sounds like a plan.

I am on a Leased car. hence the worry to cut a whole and leave a permanent impact. Do you think it matters????

When you get a moment, please link me to that plastic piece you've mentioned on a prior post that has holes for the subwoofer.

Space Lord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I think the biggest limiter is your budget. Having someone cut a hole in the Touring sub spot is custom work and that can get expensive, plus most subs aren't designed to work without a box and you might not get the sound you are looking for. I used to have a Rockford Fosgate P300-10 ( about $170) and it gave me some really good bass without taking up much trunk space and it can be removed easily if you need the space or sell the car. Those hideaway subs aren't designed to be in the trunk so you may not get the bass you are looking for and the best sound for those happen when they are secured firmly to the floor so the back sound waves come up.

Just my thoughts, I do car audio as a hobby and have some friends that do it professionally

Manstink1

First Name
cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Definitely sounds like a plan.

I am on a Leased car. hence the worry to cut a whole and leave a permanent impact. Do you think it matters????

When you get a moment, please link me to that plastic piece you've mentioned on a prior post that has holes for the subwoofer.
I don't think they'll notice anything unless you draw attention to it. be sure to remove all your things before returning it though.
Here's the link to the part: https://goo.gl/UW74YG

XLR8TOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T coupe, '00 Trans Am 'vert, '98 Dakota R/T
Country flag
Trade it for an ex-t coupe. Problem solved. ;)
Sponsored