jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
So I have officially owned my Civic for a year now and I thought I would make a quick post about my experience with the car so far. I got the car on March 22nd 2018 from Honda of Tysons for around 19.5K out the door and had a pretty great down payment on the lease because I traded in a 2013 Ford Focus for $6500 and used that as the down payment. My experience over the year has been pretty great and I thought i'd share it just for fun with some pros and cons of my time with the car. In 1 year, I have only managed to put around 6900 miles on it, but that was expected because the car is mainly used for my work commutes. All the long distance driving miles fall onto my other vehicles.

Pros:
  • Steering weight and handling are pretty much perfect, I bought this as an appliance commuter car and I never expected the car to be this fun to drive but it is.
  • The 2.0L engine: even though it is a base engine and doesn't make the power/torque of the 1.5, it has truly satisfied with how smooth and responsive it is especially with my tune. It is pretty fun to rev out and sounds pretty good as well, the engine is matched perfectly with the Civic IMO.
  • Looks: Even though it is just a Civic, I love the way the car is stands out a little and doesn't look boring. Especially with the exterior mods I did like the black performance grill, the tinted turn signals and the wheels, the car looks absolutely killer.
  • Features: stuff like CarPlay and LaneWatch really enhance the driving experience, along with the digital instrument cluster, don't really care much for the sensing package because I barely use it on my BMW and Mercedes which both have it (I actually Prefer Honda's LaneWatch to the Blind spot monitor in my other cars).
  • Interior room: The backseat does not feel cramped at all and the driver seating position is just right for me, loads of headroom. My baby daughter's car seat also fits great in the back.
  • The car inspires confidence too, I never feel like i'm out of control in the car and I have gotten extremely comfortable with driving this thing.
Cons:
  • The interior fabric quality is pretty awful, the armrest is getting those white wear marks even though it doesn't have much mileage on it, seats are comfortable but it could be better.
  • Disappointed that LED headlights are not standard, the OEM halogens offered on the non-touring Civics are awful and look bad because they don't match the DRL.
  • Too many panel gaps in the car for my liking, expected better.
  • The OEM tires were atrocious, driving in the rain was like a slip n' slide but surprisingly it was decent in the snow.
  • Infotainment UI could be improved as well, it looks like a cheap android headunit you can get from WalMart, Honda could have made it so much better. Spotify still doesn't show all of my songs on my playlist too on carplay which is pretty sad.
Overall, i'd say my experience has been pretty great and once the lease runs out in 2 years i'm definitely either buying the car out or upgrading to the 11th gen Civic, but i'm definitely going to have some sort of Civic in my driveway lol. I did nitpick on my cons list and I honestly really had to think about it for some of them which says a lot. Car has given me no issues besides it dumping oil because the dumb dealership doesn't know how to tighten an oil pan :rolleyes:.

Some pictures of it now after the mods:

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 Civic EX Sedan One Year Update! civic picture 1

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 Civic EX Sedan One Year Update! IMG-4045.JPG

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Thanks for the review. The grill looks great. I'm totally aligned with your lease plans -- I've had my Si 6 months now and am already quite set on making a post-lease purchase, if I don't go for an 11th gen (which I feel probably won't be out by then).

As for the cons, the panel gaps are ludicrous. I'm in full agreement on that.

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Thanks for the review. The grill looks great. I'm totally aligned with your lease plans -- I've had my Si 6 months now and am already quite set on making a post-lease purchase, if I don't go for an 11th gen (which I feel probably won't be out by then).

As for the cons, the panel gaps are ludicrous. I'm in full agreement on that.
Yeah, i'm hoping by 2021 that the 11th gen Civic will at least be in the pipeline, the 8th gen lasted from 2006-2011 which is 5 years and the 10th gen Civic started in 2016 so it makes sense that by 2021 the new generation Civic would be coming out. But who knows, Honda may decide that the 10th gen is selling well enough and that they don't need to release a new generation until later.
Sponsored