First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex Sedan
Country flag
Hey Everyone,

Is anyone else smelling gas coming through the air vents into the cabin? I've been having this issue for a couple of weeks now and it seems to only happen on a cold start. I've had the car since June 2018 and put on roughly 6k miles. I took it to International Honda and Russ Darrow Honda and they both claim this is a normal smell for the car but yet they were unable to replicate what I am smelling. Does anyone know if this is normal or something I need to go back to the dealer for?
Sponsored

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
If you are smelling gasoline then there is gasoline in the air and the environment is potentially combustible. What happens if you discharge static electricity? Or use your cell phone? Or smoke? That service department sounds crappy, maybe try somewhere else.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Hey Everyone,

Is anyone else smelling gas coming through the air vents into the cabin? I've been having this issue for a couple of weeks now and it seems to only happen on a cold start. I've had the car since June 2018 and put on roughly 6k miles. I took it to International Honda and Russ Darrow Honda and they both claim this is a normal smell for the car but yet they were unable to replicate what I am smelling. Does anyone know if this is normal or something I need to go back to the dealer for?

Even if it is "a normal smell for the car" .. then "Normal" is not right, and the majority of the models need to have this "Normal" issue addressed.

Gas is Carcinogenic -- if gas fumes are leaking into the passenger compartment, then over time, you stand a higher risk of Cancer etc etc...
In any case, the fumes are not doing you any good, even in the short term.

So the question is -- where is the Gas coming from.
One assumes it is leaking in the engine compartment, and then being drawn into the passenger area by the ventilation system being set to bring in outside air.

I sometimes have had a similar issue with my old 30 year old Maxima.
In cold weather, when I start the engine, I sometimes get the smell of gas.
At other times, I have always got a strong smell of gas.
In all cases, it was a Gas leak in the fuel injection hoses, where the old hose was clamped to the the metal fuel rail pipes.
Replacing the hoses, and new better clamps, fixed the problem.

I am not suggesting that your new car Hoses are at fault... but the gas must be leaking out somewhere... finding out from where may not be that easy.

That's why you pay the Dealer the BIG BUCKS :rofl:

Getting something like this, may be an option if the Dealer cannot find where the gas is coming from. They should have a similar (better - more expensive gas detector) -- but who knows .. If you have read many of my posts, you will have realized that I little or no respect from most Dealers and their Shop Mechanics.

https://www.tequipment.net/BacharachGasLeakator19-7075.html

Cost : about 1.5 hours @ Dealer Shop rate ... and you will always have it as a useful tool.

Another thought ... with all this Oil Dilution .. maybe the gas smell is coming from the oil ?
Easy enough to verify .. do an oil change !!!

Leaking Oil Cap seal ??
https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/What-Causes-The-Smell-Of-Gas-Inside-A-Car

Luckily, so far, I have not had any "smell" issues... 6 month old 2018 SI
The only think I find that "stinks" is the way some others around here in Maryland Drive !!!

Last edited:

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
I remember reading either on here or on Facebook about someone who had a faulty injector seal and it was causing the smell. Take it to another dealer and make sure to contact Honda America and open a case. Smelling gas, especially if raw, is not good nor safe and needs to be addressed ASAP.

OP
OP

Ryan_P

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm going to take it to another dealer next week and hopefully they can figure it out. I forgot to mention the first dealer said it was normal and they want me to wait until my first oil change because I still have the factory oil in it and they think that's what I'm smelling. Also, when I opened the hood before starting the car you smell a very strong scent of gas kinda was smelling around and it seems to be coming from the back of the engine where the gas line connects.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
I'm going to take it to another dealer next week and hopefully they can figure it out. I forgot to mention the first dealer said it was normal and they want me to wait until my first oil change because I still have the factory oil in it and they think that's what I'm smelling. Also, when I opened the hood before starting the car you smell a very strong scent of gas kinda was smelling around and it seems to be coming from the back of the engine where the gas line connects.
Yeah that's not normal. Any other dealers in the area? Get a second opinion, I'm sure they'd love to earn your business anyways.

OP
OP

Ryan_P

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just talked to a tech from a different dealer about the issue and he is also claiming that its normal. I'm not really sure where to go from here. I'm probably either just going to leave it as is since its still under warranty and its a lease vehicle or I might get something else.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Not normal at all and anyone telling you this is just lazy or dumb. Ive had my EX 2.0L since march of this year (im still on factory oil) and I have never once smelled gas in the cabin period. If you open the hood and the smell gets stronger, that only further comfirms that there is something wrong. Its their job to ensure that you are satisfied as a customer so I would make them find a solution or maybe sit in the car so they can experience the smell and go from there.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Even if it is "a normal smell for the car" .. then "Normal" is not right, and the majority of the models need to have this "Normal" issue addressed.

Gas is Carcinogenic -- if gas fumes are leaking into the passenger compartment, then over time, you stand a higher risk of Cancer etc etc...
In any case, the fumes are not doing you any good, even in the short term.

So the question is -- where is the Gas coming from.
One assumes it is leaking in the engine compartment, and then being drawn into the passenger area by the ventilation system being set to bring in outside air.

I sometimes have had a similar issue with my old 30 year old Maxima.
In cold weather, when I start the engine, I sometimes get the smell of gas.
At other times, I have always got a strong smell of gas.
In all cases, it was a Gas leak in the fuel injection hoses, where the old hose was clamped to the the metal fuel rail pipes.
Replacing the hoses, and new better clamps, fixed the problem.

I am not suggesting that your new car Hoses are at fault... but the gas must be leaking out somewhere... finding out from where may not be that easy.

That's why you pay the Dealer the BIG BUCKS :rofl:

Getting something like this, may be an option if the Dealer cannot find where the gas is coming from. They should have a similar (better - more expensive gas detector) -- but who knows .. If you have read many of my posts, you will have realized that I little or no respect from most Dealers and their Shop Mechanics.

https://www.tequipment.net/BacharachGasLeakator19-7075.html

Cost : about 1.5 hours @ Dealer Shop rate ... and you will always have it as a useful tool.

Another thought ... with all this Oil Dilution .. maybe the gas smell is coming from the oil ?
Easy enough to verify .. do an oil change !!!

Leaking Oil Cap seal ??
https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/What-Causes-The-Smell-Of-Gas-Inside-A-Car

Luckily, so far, I have not had any "smell" issues... 6 month old 2018 SI
The only think I find that "stinks" is the way some others around here in Maryland Drive !!!
He has the 2.0L so it is unlikely that oil dilution is the issue.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Hey Everyone,

Is anyone else smelling gas coming through the air vents into the cabin?
Yes, each time I'm too close at rear of a truck or a bus at a stop. Alone on the road , never.

Hondacivic2018exl

First Name
Honda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-L 2018
Hey Everyone,

Hondacivic2018exl

First Name
Honda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-L 2018
Hey what's up!

I have a 2018 Honda Civic EX-L. I as well get the gas smell in the cabin. But only after I park on a incline or decline. I get in the car and right after I start it I can smell gas or gas and oil smell just for about 45sec to a minute. Have you had any resolve ???

Thank you in advance !!!

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Also ktuner said it us normal
SORRY .. smell GAS inside the Car cannot be accepted as being "Normal".

Gas is carcinogenic ....

What you should be smelling is a large law suite against Honda, when Honda Owners start developing Cancer, and their Lawyers start blaming Honda and their claim that it is "NORMAL" for Gas leaks into the Car's cabin.

If the Gas is coming form the engine compartment, and you can smell it in the cabin, the the gas concentration under the hood must be quite high .. One spark, and

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 Civic EX 2.0L Gas Smell in Cabin latest?cb=20120708222942

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag