2018 Civic begin arriving on dealerships on OCT 3rd

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
There might be a slight misunderstanding on how Costco Auto works.
You plug the make and model into the site and enter your membership ID.
It lists your local dealer and the dealership gets passed along the information.
Dealership calls you.

Costco Auto won't do anything else for you. Not sure what you mean by "going through Costco Auto".

In-fact, the place I purchased the vehicle from wasn't even listed via the Costco Auto site.
I received an OTD from the first dealership and thought I can do better.

Went to the 2nd dealership and told them what the first dealership wanted and if they can do better.
I told them that it was with my Costco discount too.
This 2nd dealership didn't even ask me for my membershipID and just beat their price right off the bat without any proof on my end.

If you already have a low price from haggling, being a Costco member won't do much.
I think the discount is just a type of "price range bracket" you get put in that the dealership will agree to let the car go for. And of course they will still try to put you in the upper portion of range to get the most money out of you.

If you are in the military, I would never mention Costco. Negotiate your ass off for a super sweet deal. And right before you shake hands, ask them if they do military discounts. They will do better than Costco at this point.
Sponsored

Last edited:

dastanli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry, Tacoma
Country flag
I don't know. I tested it with the 2016 touring sedan the begin of this year. They wanted $27,000ish OTD when I went to the dealership. And when I did the whole costco auto thing and had the dealers call me they quoted me in the low $25,000 OTD. But then again they don't even have the one I wanted in a hundred mile radius so there's no "can you do better." Don't think you can haggle on a car they don't have and have to order. If anyone has any experience with this please enlighten me.

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
I don't know. I tested it with the 2016 touring sedan the begin of this year. They wanted $27,000ish OTD when I went to the dealership. And when I did the whole costco auto thing and had the dealers call me they quoted me in the low $25,000 OTD. But then again they don't even have the one I wanted in a hundred mile radius so there's no "can you do better." Don't think you can haggle on a car they don't have and have to order. If anyone has any experience with this please enlighten me.
I'd love to help, but not sure what you are asking exactly. The OTD price you received fell within the "price range" reserved for Costco members. At that point, it isn't worth it to them to have the car driven/trucked over and dropped off to your location (if 100 miles away) because they would be losing money.

If they don't have the car color you want and suggest another color, you can surely haggle on the new offer very well. Go at the end of the month. Complain that you are stuck in a predicament because it is the car you want, but wrong color. They will cut you a better deal because they want to move inventory.

What is your question?

ClemsonPatriot

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hopefully the infotainment system from the 2018 Accord complete with radio knobs!
2018-Honda-Accord-2.0T-Touring-centre-console.jpg
No thanks! Those knobs look entirely out of place and I don't like how the screen goes above the dash. It's as if they ran out of room, realized there was no screen, and slapped it on there. However, that's my opinion.

dastanli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry, Tacoma
Country flag
@tehSteve so my question is how do I get the best price for an 2018 since it doesn't look like there's any 2017 left that I want. Seems like costco autos cuts out all the haggling. And that quote I got for the sedan earlier this year for a low $25,000ish OTD was under invoice which I think is a pretty great deal. Is there a chance to go even lower than that? Has anyone gotten a car below invoice OTD?

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
Invoice is $22,202 or close.
MSRP = $23,900.

I think anywhere in the $25,000-$25,500 range OTD is very acceptable if you utilize your discount and you go toward the end of the month when they are about to close their books.
This number also depends on the state tax where some have 0% car tax. Others have 4-5%. Some have 6.5-7%
Depending on what state you live, it is possible to have to pay at least $500 more in taxes than other states .

I personally don't think you will see much negotiation room as soon as 2018s drop. Too early.
We still need to take October 3rd with a grain of salt.
I spoke to my sales person (good friend) and the lead tech. Both of them were completely unaware of the 2018s coming out.
Also they didn't have anything in their systems about deliveries for 2018.

I think you received a very good price for your OTD without knowing the state you live in.
I'd consider another color.
I really wanted Agean Blue, but I did some personal reflection and ended up with MSM.

At your point, I would be haggling for some free accessories.
Ask them about the $500 wheel/tire 7year coverage.
Tell them you will purchase the warranty if they throw in all the accessories you want. (choose $800 bucks worth)
They will make more money off the warranty than their cost of the accessories. (price they paid).

So for $500 bucks more you, got yourself a killer warranty & 800$ worth of options.

If you are still at $26k or lower. Take the deal and run with it.

dastanli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry, Tacoma
Country flag
Touring sedan invoice is $22,200ish?!?!?! Where is this at? I am in oregon and invoice for the touring sedan is $25,500ish, plus no tax over here.

Thank you for all the info!

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
Sorry I keep forgetting that you don't have n Si.

I see your invoice as $24,701.
$26,600 is your MSRP

The destination is a charge the dealer pays additional to the actual invoice.
So $24,701 + $875 = $25,576

So you are lower than $25,576 for OTD?
Congrats you just payed lower than what the dealer did.

At this point man, I don't think the dealership will be interested in haggling the price of the car lower.
Mention you are willing to buy a warranty, but you'd like them to throw in a few accessories first.
Or even pay the $500 warranty and meet them half way on the accessory price if you want more accessories lol.

They will listen since warranties bring in more money than the super low cost they get their accessories for & charge us an arm and a leg lol.

All accessorized up w/ a warranty.
And you are paying MSRP of a bone stock car OTD?

I think you can make out pretty well.

Last edited:

Zavage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6, FC1, Accord CU1
Country flag
So Temple of VTEC claims the 1.5T that the Accord is getting has Exhaust VTEC, and its the same engine code that is going in the AWD CR-V. So one can assume the CR-V also will have VTEC(if ToV is correct) I wouldn't be amazed if they took the new VTEC 1.5T engine and added the SI parts and put it in the Si. It would mostly be just a parts swap.

Or ToV is just talking out their asses.
i don't think Honda put's an Exhaust VTEC in it's engine(you need a complete new engine block for the oil lines for vtec) , when it does have 10hp less power than a Si. Then why the Si doesn't have "real" VTEC?

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
i don't think Honda put's an Exhaust VTEC in it's engine(you need a complete new engine block for the oil lines for vtec) , when it does have 10hp less power than a Si. Then why the Si doesn't have "real" VTEC?
When the Turbo line up was first shown there were 2 versions of the 1.5T one with and one without VTEC. I just don't think the VTEC version ever made it to the US. Also you can use VTEC for emissions and not gain power from it. It could also just have a less aggressive cam, ect. VTEC does not HAVE to make mower power than non-VTEC.

ChrisSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan, 2009 Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just don't think the VTEC version ever made it to the US.
Sure it did. It's the 1.5L engine variant in the new Accord 1.5T. Just to spite the Civic Si fans.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I still don't believe they are adding VTEC to the 1.5L in the Accords. They love to call VTC, VTEC for some reason.
Does the 2017 CRV have vtec or is it just vtc?

According to temple of vtec, the new accord's 1.5L is a L15BE engine.
Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 Civic begin arriving on dealerships on OCT 3rd CbAqvme

If you look at the 2017 CRV window sticker, it lists the engine as L15BE
Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 Civic begin arriving on dealerships on OCT 3rd qPm0isq

ChrisSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan, 2009 Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I still don't believe they are adding VTEC to the 1.5L in the Accords. They love to call VTC, VTEC for some reason.
Does the 2017 CRV have vtec or is it just vtc?
It's probably just a VTC typo like it is on the 2018 Civic Si press release.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
It's probably just a VTC typo like it is on the 2018 Civic Si press release.
yeah just posting it out there because so many people are like "omg new 1.5L has ZE VTEC TURBO" but some research indicates that it's the same as the '17 CRV engine code which leads me to believe that it doesn't have vtec and it's just VTC.

the 2.0T is a K20, that much we do know.
yeah supposedly a K20C4, while the Type R is a K20C1.
Sponsored