2017 SI stock with 61,000 mi Engine Failure!

Should I simply accept their offer to cover cost at 90% with 30K warrenty?

• Total voters

Kytann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, 2013 Mustang GT, 2012 F150
Country flag
AI IS JUST FANCY BRUTE FORCE, CHANGE MY MIND.

So i have a 2012 F150 that I bought new. At around 30k miles it started making a loud ticking noise, when I brought it into the dealer they replaced the entire long block, at no charge to me. Still under warranty and all.

I was pretty tempted to sell it at that time, because having a dealership tear it apart and put it back together I feel like there is a large risk of something being put back together wrong.

Now I am at 70k miles, and it gets driven mostly just in the winter.

Most likely the engine replacement they are doing for you will be done by more knowledgeable techs than the oil change guys, and it will be done correctly. Best of luck though.
Sponsored

Cartman417

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes C43
Country flag
Cartman...

I don't think anyone was really telling the guy to get a lawyer and try to fight Honda versus having to pay $900. I was just making the point that there is a good possibility/probability the dealer knew they f'ed up because dealers don't install new engines for $900 out of the goodness of their heart.

It sucks about the $900 but in the scheme of things, yes, it could have been much worse.

Still though, it would have been nice to know (for sure) what happened to the engine.
Yea them telling him to pay to find out what went wrong is complete bullshit. I would be like look I paid the $900 agreed to everything so obviously not coming after you but I want to know what happened
Maybe anyone at the dealer can look into it and tell him on the side lol

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Here's where I am with this whole thing and feel free to tell me if I'm wrong...

I'm glad the OP is getting the engine installed for $900, let me get that out of the way.

But, as an owner of the 1.5 engine, the fact we will never know what happened bugs me. Sure we can surmise it was a dealer screw up with the oil change but what if it wasn't? By not being up front and telling the guy what happened, it opens up more questions.

I get it. Shit happens and a well maintained engine potentially could go belly up at 61,000 miles. But realistically how often does that happen? And if it wasn't the oil change and if the engine failed due to a defective/failed engine component, doesn't it sort put Honda in the position of doing a cover up?

Maybe we all need to Paypal the OP a buck or two so he can pay the ransom and have them diagnose the cause and tell us what actually happened?

Andre80

First Name
white civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.5 sport +
Country flag
in Italy they often do it, they cover the spare part but they ask for the contribution for the manodopere

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
in Italy they often do it, they cover the spare part but they ask for the contribution for the manodopere
My knowledge of Italy and Italians in general is pretty much limited to the Godfather Part 1... Part 2 and... well... Part 3.

So... that sounds about right. :fear:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
manodopera

Italian
Noun
manodopera (plural: manodopere)

1. manpower
2. labor

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wikipedia and Google has made me a genius. :google::coffee::nixon:

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
My knowledge of Italy and Italians in general is pretty much limited to the Godfather Part 1... Part 2 and... well... Part 3.

So... that sounds about right. :fear:
Relevant to this thread - the horse is dead.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 SI stock with 61,000 mi Engine Failure! horse-head-godfather

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
From what I gather after reading OP's original post and responses, this car really sounds like it was oil starved. There is already people over 60k on these motors and some who have really put abuse to them for a majority of those miles without a problem. The number one thing that kills a turbo motor is lack of oil though. The dipstick on this car doesn't do us any favors, anyone that has changed their oil and goes to check it immediately after knows how difficult it is to see your oil level. If you run the recommended 0w-20 that Honda suggests, it is so thin and clear like water that I will check it 2-3 times just to be 100% certain the level is right. If you get your car serviced by a dealer or other shop, make sure you check the work especially with a dealership. A lot of dealers have "lube techs" and their actual main technicians who do the serious work, the guys doing the oil changes are usually less trained and really put to work in my area because there are so many Hondas running around coming in for maintenance. I kid you not that there is a lube tech that had trouble changing an air filter on a car. My guess is the cheaper labor of having the lesser paid guys doing the work outweighs the once in a while they mess something up.

john21031

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Fit Sport 5MT
Country flag
OP, please use the spell checker at least. The word is WARRANTY from the word warrant. It's not warrEnty... or veronti or anything else like that.
Sponsored