2017 SI stock with 61,000 mi Engine Failure!

Should I simply accept their offer to cover cost at 90% with 30K warrenty?

• Total voters

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
If the OP is happy, we're happy. :cool:

Sponsored

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I dare you to go to a Chrysler or Chevy dealer with a blown engine out of warrenty! They wouldnt give you the time of day buddy!

Enough said guys, really I am happy. This is a closed case of another overall good Honda experience.
All right. I knew a girl in college, a guy she went out with once let's just say forced himself on her. After going through a slightly depressed period she started to tell everyone it was her fault and the guy was nice to her when he did it so wasn't that bad. I think he paid for her cab or something. Before Uber.

Anyway glad this issue is resolved for you and your moving on. Good luck to you, let us know when the car is fixed.

Last edited:

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
They got my number. I am just one guy, a dude with an issue. No other dealer would even hear me out.

You know what, I have had a change of heart guys. Honda and its dealers are really the best in industry. Nowhere else would I even be heard out. The blown engine after an oil change, who do we think we are to speculate that they caused it! Man really about anything could have caused it. And I am out of warranty! They are willing to cover 90%, who could ask for anything more.

I think this experience has made me a Honda owner for life. I see now it was just my own arrogance, fear, and selfishness to expect perfection, when really they are treating me just grand.

I love my Honda!
Wow bro, what did they put in that kool aid? o_O

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They got my number. I am just one guy, a dude with an issue. No other dealer would even hear me out.

You know what, I have had a change of heart guys. Honda and its dealers are really the best in industry. Nowhere else would I even be heard out. The blown engine after an oil change, who do we think we are to speculate that they caused it! Man really about anything could have caused it. And I am out of warranty! They are willing to cover 90%, who could ask for anything more.

I think this experience has made me a Honda owner for life. I see now it was just my own arrogance, fear, and selfishness to expect perfection, when really they are treating me just grand.

I love my Honda!
I have a really good sense of sniffing out sarcasm over the Internet, but honestly, I am having trouble figuring out if this is sarcasm or if Honda actually did something.

The way it’s written, especially the passive aggressive tone makes me think he’s being sarcastic...

black18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I read through this whole thread while bored at work today. What an adventure. Glad it's getting fixed at least!

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
For the original poster.

Did you talk with a lawyer?

Just do a consultation. Ask what are your options. He/she probably will say: "pay for it and forget it".

Who knows. Maybe there is a local law that protects you.

I'm still confident that the root cause is that last service.

Last edited:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have a really good sense of sniffing out sarcasm over the Internet, but honestly, I am having trouble figuring out if this is sarcasm or if Honda actually did something.

The way it’s written, especially the passive aggressive tone makes me think he’s being sarcastic...
Probably. Has to be. Yes, it is (hopefully)

Dan9908

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Accord Sport 2.0/A10, 05 Civic LX
Country flag
If this is (likely) related to the oil change/dealer, there will be physical evidence of the oil having leaked out- meaning there will be oil splash all over the undercarriage, slung rearward.

Unless the block was ventilated or they can produce a failed mechanical component, there will be evidence somewhere.

I highly doubt a dealer would be able to clean up a mess so thoroughly (and if they did, the cleaning would also be evident), that it would be masked.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My guess is the OP either signed or verbally agreed to not discuss this matter further online. Or, that was the most amazing batch of Honda Kool-Aid ever. :cool:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My guess is the OP either signed or verbally agreed to not discuss this matter further online. Or, that was the most amazing batch of Honda Kool-Aid ever. :cool:
...or he is just happy he is getting his car back and is able to get back on to life. It sucks being without your car, stressing out when it will be back to normal and having to pay for a rental etc. I have always been a fighter in my younger days, but came to a realization of the limits. Anyway it worked out without him having to shell $5 to $8 k

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Their counter counter offer:

1. $900
2. 12,000 MILE WARRANTY
3. If I want to know what happened to tye engine it would cost me $1000.0

I have 30 days to make a decision. This is from Honda America. Final offer.

I am about to cut my losses guys.
If it's a brand new motor I'd take it, no questions asked. The 12K ensures you have no other peripheral issues associated with engine removal/installation.

I'm also in the camp that this was probably due to the recent oil change. We have almost a million 1.5Ts out on the road showing no trends of random failures. So I'd say your chances of getting a problem-free replacement are pretty good. :)

Edd

First Name
Edd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
Hmm.....
I'm not sure about buying into this story.

Just my .02 cents

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm.....
I'm not sure about buying into this story.

Just my .02 cents
Always keep these words of wisdom in mind...

"It was on the internet, so it must be true". :coffee:

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Sarcasm detector test :

"I love my Dealer, and they love me, and will do anything in my best interest to keep my car correctly services at minimal cost. "

Sarcasm, or Truth ?? :hmm:

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20

I love my Honda!

I smell troll
Sponsored