First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si 4dr
Country flag
Hello all,

My Si is my first brand new car purchase, and with today's technology I know everything goes through the console. I don't believe I will be seeking an upgrade to the head-unit as I don't want to lose any functionality (no matter how annoying the touchscreen can be). However, the Si comes with a 450 watt 10 speaker "premium sound" system. As a guy who left nearly $2000 in audio upgrades in his last car, I am curious as to what other's may have done to upgrade their systems. I am thinking about aftermarket speakers for all 10, possible additional amplification to those speakers, and a definite upgrade to the sub woofer. Speaking of which, would it make sense to simply put an aftermarket sub where the stock one is?
Sponsored

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Your system is the same as the 10 speaker system in the regular sedans and coupes. Look through the Audio/Nav/Electronics forum to see what upgrades people have done with those.

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I think the "subwoofer" in our cars is a joke. They would have been better just upgrading the mids. But those are also junk. Like you said it is going to be tough to upgrade. Personally I think I am going to remove the stock sub and add a powered subwoofer in an enclosure. There are plenty of options around 3 inches in height. If I can I am going to bolt it to the rear deck with the sub firing through the stock hole in the rear deck. Straight replacing the stock subwoofer would be a waste. I tried it in the 8th gen and it was awful.

9civic10

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
I think the sub is the only good speaker in there. Some music sounds good. I hope you aren't a fan of hip hop tho ....as most hip hop songs only sound good at lower volume .

I think replacing the speakers with high quality speakers would make a big difference . I'm probably gonna do that .

Does the sedan have more speakers ? I 9nly counted 8 8n my coupe

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I agree upgrading the stock speakers could help But unfortunately the stock amp is very limited. In the Si it is 9x22 +45 watts (sub) rms. The 450 watt quoted by Honda is peak power. Look for very high efficiency speakers if you go for an upgrade.

OP
OP
woodysrounup

woodysrounup

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si 4dr
Country flag
I think the "subwoofer" in our cars is a joke. They would have been better just upgrading the mids. But those are also junk. Like you said it is going to be tough to upgrade. Personally I think I am going to remove the stock sub and add a powered subwoofer in an enclosure. There are plenty of options around 3 inches in height. If I can I am going to bolt it to the rear deck with the sub firing through the stock hole in the rear deck. Straight replacing the stock subwoofer would be a waste. I tried it in the 8th gen and it was awful.
I am not sure how the sound system was configured on the 8th gen's, but did you replace the stock sub, while simultaneously running a second amp to it? And if so, do you think it was the difference between an open sub, and one in an enclosure? I spent a couple hours earlier today and it seems very difficult to make an aftermarket system functional while still being affordable and not killing half the features of the car. Coming from a system where I had a headunit, 6 speakers, 2 10" audiobahn's, with one amp running the speakers and the other for the subs I feel like I regressed in sound quality on the Civic.

OP
OP
woodysrounup

woodysrounup

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si 4dr
Country flag
I think the sub is the only good speaker in there. Some music sounds good. I hope you aren't a fan of hip hop tho ....as most hip hop songs only sound good at lower volume .

I think replacing the speakers with high quality speakers would make a big difference . I'm probably gonna do that .

Does the sedan have more speakers ? I 9nly counted 8 8n my coupe
Both the sedan and coupe should have 10 speakers. The mid speaker on the dash directly below the rear view mirror, 2 tweeters, 2 in the front doors, 2 in the backseat doors (sedan), 2 in the back deck, and the sub should come to 10. I am not sure where they put the 2 back seat door ones on the coupe.
I think I too will simply replace all 10 speakers with aftermarket ones simply because the range should improve. 450 watts isn't bad but I wonder how much that stock amplifier affects them.

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I did have an amp in my 8th Civic powering a custom subwoofer in the stock location. I was very limited to what would fit though. I did not want to cut any of the metal or plastic so just finding a sub that fit was a extreme hassle. The bolt hole circle for the stock sub did not match anything on the market.

So then I went through the process of designing a adapter plate. Ultimately was very disappointed with the sound when I finally did succeed on fitting a sub back there.

Nowadays there a so many enclosed + powered sub options I would never personally never go through that effort again.

OP
OP
woodysrounup

woodysrounup

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si 4dr
Country flag
I did have an amp in my 8th Civic powering a custom subwoofer in the stock location. I was very limited to what would fit though. I did not want to cut any of the metal or plastic so just finding a sub that fit was a extreme hassle. The bolt hole circle for the stock sub did not match anything on the market.

So then I went through the process of designing a adapter plate. Ultimately was very disappointed with the sound when I finally did succeed on fitting a sub back there.

Nowadays there a so many enclosed + powered sub options I would never personally never go through that effort again.
The 2017's are just a simple 8" are they not? I haven't personally looked or even delved that deep into it. Was hoping it wouldn't be too difficult but sounds more and more like it will be :(

9civic10

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
It is a big step over my 9th gen tho . The 9th gen had a sub that literally didn't make any noise lol

9civic10

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
I haven't really looked but if the last 2 tweeters aren't in the trunk idk where they are .

OP
OP
woodysrounup

woodysrounup

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si 4dr
Country flag
I haven't really looked but if the last 2 tweeters aren't in the trunk idk where they are .
Have you looked at the windshield bars in the front of your car? Essentially directly inside of the mirrors?

OP
OP
woodysrounup

woodysrounup

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si 4dr
Country flag
I just had these components installed and it already sounds much better. To get the punch I want, I'm gonna need to run an aftermarket subwoofer, because the stock sub barely moves.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Si Sedan Sound System Upgrade? IMG_0849.JPG
Sponsored