2017 Si Factory Sub - How does yours sound?

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
The woofer and tweeter in the two-ways in the rear deck are counted separately for a total of 10 speakers.

There are 6 channels of amplification - front left, center, front right, rear left, rear right, and subwoofer.
10, actually. All speakers have dedicated channels from the amp.
Sponsored

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
10, actually. All speakers have dedicated channels from the amp.
Actually, there are no more than 8 channels of amplification - possibly 6 if the tweeter outputs on the amplifier are internally connected through a capacitor to the same outputs that drive the front door speakers. Each of the two-way speakers (counted as two speakers since it contains a woofer and tweeter) in the rear deck uses one output.

There are indeed 10 channels of amplification and each driver is connected to a dedicated output on the amplifier.

Last edited:

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Actually, there are no more than 8 channels of amplification - possibly 6 if the tweeter outputs on the amplifier are internally connected through a capacitor to the same outputs that drive the front door speakers. Each of the two-way speakers (counted as two speakers since it contains a woofer and tweeter) in the rear deck uses one output.
The rear tweeters are on a separate connector:

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Si Factory Sub - How does yours sound? connector-2

The tweeters aren't driven off the same channel as the mids because the mids don't get treble. Unless you think there's a full passive crossover inside the amp for each channel, but given how small it is - and the fact that we know for sure there's a DSP inside it regardless - that seems unlikely.

None of the 10 channels get a full-range signal.

9civic10

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
While better than my 15 , overall , the sound system in general is mediocre at best

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The rear tweeters are on a separate connector...
Mmm. This crow tastes good - just need a little salt and pepper! :p

I'm off to correct some posts... :oops:

This is a pretty sophisticated system even if it doesn't necessarily sound like it. :)

I can confirm 10 discreet channels of amplification via the speaker test function that plays a tone from each of the 10 channels individually or altogether.

Last edited:

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
So it's it normal for the sound to be distorted when faded all the way to the rear?

Sounds like real player from the 90s

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
So it's it normal for the sound to be distorted when faded all the way to the rear?
Do you have the DTS Neural setting enabled by chance? Because if you do, I'm pretty sure that algorithm steers only some sounds to the rear speakers for rear fill, which would sound weird if you were only hearing the rears. Try toggling DTS Neural on and off while listening to just the rears and see if that improves what you're hearing. Just a hunch.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I can confirm 10 discreet channels of amplification via the speaker test function that plays a tone from each of the 10 channels individually or altogether.
The old throw-a-cap-on-the-tweeter thing has been typical of Honda for so long that I was quite surprised to see true discrete tweeter outputs!

Here are line-level measurements (at four different volume settings) of the sub, front mids, and front tweeters I took, if you're curious about the crossover characteristics:

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Si Factory Sub - How does yours sound? response-1-

And here is the center channel (in purple, ignore the green line):
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Si Factory Sub - How does yours sound? center-

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I actually think the speakers themselves are pretty good. The sub is just very weak. I might just change the rear deck speakers to something with bass emphasis to sort of balance it out.

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
Do you have the DTS Neural setting enabled by chance? Because if you do, I'm pretty sure that algorithm steers only some sounds to the rear speakers for rear fill, which would sound weird if you were only hearing the rears. Try toggling DTS Neural on and off while listening to just the rears and see if that improves what you're hearing. Just a hunch.
That was it. Thanks!

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The old throw-a-cap-on-the-tweeter thing has been typical of Honda for so long that I was quite surprised to see true discrete tweeter outputs!

Here are line-level measurements (at four different volume settings) of the sub, front mids, and front tweeters I took, if you're curious about the crossover characteristics:

Do you recall the volume level of each color for each output on each graph? I don't see any loudness equalization going on, but maybe it isn't effective at the volume levels you tested. My Ridgeline (and many other vehicles I've owned) boosts the bass and treble at low volumes to compensate for the humans ear's lower sensitivity to those frequencies at lower volumes. I noticed my Civic doesn't (seem to) do that.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Do you recall the volume level of each color for each output on each graph? I don't see any loudness equalization going on, but maybe it isn't effective at the volume levels you tested. My Ridgeline (and many other vehicles I've owned) boosts the bass and treble at low volumes to compensate for the humans ear's lower sensitivity to those frequencies at lower volumes. I noticed my Civic doesn't (seem to) do that.
It was 15, 20, 25 and 30. I concluded the same thing as you - no loudness equalization going on. But, I later made more careful measurements on the mid's signal and found that there is actually a change in bass level occurring. No changes on the treble end, although I did not make the same measurements on the sub or tweeter outputs. But I think such changes to the curve would be applied before the crossover and therefore would have a somewhat visible effect on the mid's signal too, if they were being done.

Here's the post: http://www.civicx.com/threads/audio...e-doesnt-change-with-volume.6814/#post-136910

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag

So, if one was going to add a powered sub woofer and was going to use High Level inputs on it (No place to get RCA signal from Display Audio), which speaker signal would you choose? I tried it with both the sub input and rear 6 inch speaker. It sounded worst on the sub signal.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
So, if one was going to add a powered sub woofer and was going to use High Level inputs on it (No place to get RCA signal from Display Audio), which speaker signal would you choose? I tried it with both the sub input and rear 6 inch speaker. It sounded worst on the sub signal.
I would choose the sub signal. But, trust your ears of course - if the other sounded better, do that. If you use the sub signal, make sure the crossover on the powered sub is turned off if possible, or set to the highest frequency possible if not. You don't want it applying any filtering to the signal it's getting since the factory sub signal already has a steep crossover slope on it.
Sponsored