Anthony FK8

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 hatch, 12 civic base, 14 Si, 17 CTR
Country flag
Hey so creating this thread because many of us new FK8 owners would like to track our car and seek out quality parts for the track. Good news.

Team Honda Research West (the officially sanctioned employee road racing team of Honda R&D Los Angeles) seems to be developing the FK8 platform.

As a Honda Racing Line Member I will do my best to provide more information on which parts would be available

(The HPD Honda racing line is an exclusive members only access to OEM Honda/Acura parts, as well as race parts for World Challenge and Touring Car series. They also provide lots of aid to their members in terms of advice and set up for track!)

This is fresh off their Facebook page!

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Honda Civic Type R Racecar being developed by Team Honda Research IMG_6973.PNG
Sponsored

OP
OP

Anthony FK8

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm curious what it weighs
It will likely have to meet a IMSA or PWC required minimum weight, but I would guess somewhere in the 2500lbs range with ballast weight somewhere near 2700 permitting the sanctioned rules

Joescivic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 K20 swapped coupe and 2013 Si coupe
Country flag
I'd like to lose 100lbs or so on mine sometime, which is why I asked. Also curious what some parts weighed to get an idea of what to remove without going crazy with it.

uncleben

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 CW CTR, 06 GPW S2000, 00 FPB Integra Type R, 10 BMW 535i M-sport
This is awesome. Only a matter of time before we start seeing the CTR in Pirelli World Challenge, IMSA Sportscar Challenge, etc.

Hopefully with great success aka the Realtime ITR domination of the late 90's early 00's.

OP
OP

Anthony FK8

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'd like to lose 100lbs or so on mine sometime, which is why I asked. Also curious what some parts weighed to get an idea of what to remove without going crazy with it.
As of currently the best way to shed weight is rotating mass from the tire. I'm hearing rumors of a Rays Racing wheel in a CTR spec coming out in a few months, you'll likely see StopTech (or similar) do a two piece rotor and hat, so aluminum hat will shave weight, obviously removing a seat will shed 50 lbs ish, but you'll have an airbag code that will be a nightmare so remove the back seats, likely air conditioning will be removed, custom fabrication on an exhaust will shed at least 10-30 lbs depending on what material is used (stainless vs. titanium) if you're willing to spend the money and okay with a loud exhaust a titanium cat back will likely shave 20lbs over oem. I've seen Evo 8-10 ti exhaust weigh 8-10lbs

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
Hey so creating this thread because many of us new FK8 owners would like to track our car and seek out quality parts for the track. Good news

Team Honda research seems to be developing the FK8 platform
IMG_6973.PNG
This is fresh off their Facebook page!

As a Honda Racing Line Member I will do my best to provide more information on which parts would be available

(The HPD Honda racing line is an exclusive members only access to OEM Honda/Acura parts, as well as race parts for World Challenge and Touring Car series. They also provide lots of aid to their members in terms of advice and set up for track!)
How similar you guys are to the BTCC? 'cause if you guys are similar,I think you guy already have a huge winning percentage, specially with a newer car.

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As of currently the best way to shed weight is rotating mass from the tire. I'm hearing rumors of a Rays Racing wheel in a CTR spec coming out in a few months, you'll likely see StopTech (or similar) do a two piece rotor and hat, so aluminum hat will shave weight, obviously removing a seat will shed 50 lbs ish, but you'll have an airbag code that will be a nightmare so remove the back seats, likely air conditioning will be removed, custom fabrication on an exhaust will shed at least 10-30 lbs depending on what material is used (stainless vs. titanium) if you're willing to spend the money and okay with a loud exhaust a titanium cat back will likely shave 20lbs over oem. I've seen Evo 8-10 ti exhaust weigh 8-10lbs
I am working on a CTR Rays Wheel :)

chi town brat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90 CRX Si. 91 STD Hatch. 17 CTR. 18 CTR.
Country flag
@THE! CrazyKiwi told me that this was happening so thank you for this thread. Camber kit please!

How do I get into this exclusive members only access to the OEM Honda/Acura parts because that is a huge deal when it comes to autocrossing with the SCCA.

Back seat removal not so much for me, that puts me back into Street Modified Front wheel drive. But the other things mentioned, wheels and brakes, may be legal. :)

THE! CrazyKiwi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like trucks coz I'm a truck guy.
Country flag
@THE! CrazyKiwi told me that this was happening so thank you for this thread. Camber kit please!

How do I get into this exclusive members only access to the OEM Honda/Acura parts because that is a huge deal when it comes to autocrossing with the SCCA.
:) @chi town brat, on 10/16/2016 I had a conversation with you about this and mentioned that "I know a guy who can hook you up"....:hmm:

The Team Honda Research West people mentioned above are a group from R&D that have a race club, much the same as HPD does, it is partly supported by the company and consists of associates who do this for fun and mostly after hours. You have met at least one individual who has driven for them. There are several "race clubs" within the Honda organization, part of that Pikes Peak experience a couple of weeks ago was an example. ;)

Edited to add: The thing that I was talking about was a little different, that was more about possibly producing parts for the new platform.

ETA again: For anyone who meets the requirements this is the link to the info to sign up.

https://hpd.honda.com/racing-line/become-a-member/default.aspx

Last edited:

chi town brat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90 CRX Si. 91 STD Hatch. 17 CTR. 18 CTR.
Country flag
Thanks for the link
Sponsored