2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe First Sighting!

nathanzachary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2004 Integra Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Official confirmation!!

15032220_1143176519071106_3072416922665390637_n.jpg
"Global reveal of the all-new Civic Si Prototype"

Prototype?! Really? So that makes me wonder 2 things: 1) will they even release the specs, and 2) when will this be available for purchase? Dang, Honda, dragging your feet.

TechSIguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R CW
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
"Global reveal of the all-new Civic Si Prototype"

Prototype?! Really? So that makes me wonder 2 things: 1) will they even release the specs, and 2) when will this be available for purchase? Dang, Honda, dragging your feet.
The event is 2 hours long. They better release some information and not just show the car.

nathanzachary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2004 Integra Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The event is 2 hours long. They better release some information and not just show the car.
Ah, good point. It would be pretty tough to just show the car. I would imagine that the attendees would become a little unsettled if they were expected to just stand there and look at it without being given any info. ;)

Ukraineleo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Accord Coupe
I'm really hoping they reveal the sedan also. Worried they might reveal only the coupe prototype. Also hatchback if they have one.

hollis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL 3rd Gen
Country flag
The announcement doesnt mention which body style(s) will be shown, hopefully coupe and sedan.
Very much disappointment this will be a prototype!? which means another 3 months? before hitting dealers. That means it might have the 2018 MY badge.
Therefore I am expecting the same spec info they released like they did with the Type R prototype showing....... ummmm none...

Honestly, this better be hell of a car because the VW GTI Sport are selling around here for 23K and thats awful tempting.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
The announcement doesnt mention which body style(s) will be shown, hopefully coupe and sedan.
Very much disappointment this will be a prototype!? which means another 3 months? before hitting dealers. That means it might have the 2018 MY badge.
Therefore I am expecting the same spec info they released like they did with the Type R prototype showing....... ummmm none...

Honestly, this better be hell of a car because the VW GTI Sport are selling around here for 23K and thats awful tempting.

On the bright side, I think Sage said we would be able to open up the TypeR to have a look inside...with any luck they'll let guys into the Si.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Really hope honda knocks it out of the park... the 2018 GTI (euro spec) got a power bump up to 226hp and 242hp for the sport package model. Assume the NA GTI will get the same power bumps. Even if the Si doesn't match those numbers, they can make it lighter with marginally less power and still get the same numbers from it. Given also that the 1.5T coupes are capable of numbers in the 6.6 second range to 60, the Si needs to make an equally dramatic improvement over the 9th gens.

hollis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL 3rd Gen
Country flag

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/10/...uropean-refresh-official-73635/#slide-4266457

There is significant flow down from Audi to the next refreshed 2018 GOLF.
-that center console 12.3" screen that can display road navigation is jaw dropping
-sensing like features on the manual standard
-info system with gestures options. etc etc
-emergency control system - stops the car for the driver on side of the road

I dont have much brand loyalty anymore. With every newer Honda we had more and more issues.

Competition is good for consumers :)

Last edited:

optikalillusi0n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Either Honda suffered a setback, in regards to engine choice for the SI or perhaps some other area of the car, or they are seriously dragging their feet. Either way, the way it's panning out, with this timetable, it seems like the SI won't be coming until after the R. I hope to God this is not the case. But it's getting harder and harder to keep waiting for a car that may or may not be worth it. Plus other brands are coming out with enticing options every day. Ugh.

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord Sedan 6-6, 2008 Honda Pilot
Country flag
Either Honda suffered a setback, in regards to engine choice for the SI or perhaps some other area of the car, or they are seriously dragging their feet. Either way, the way it's panning out, with this timetable, it seems like the SI won't be coming until after the R. I hope to God this is not the case. But it's getting harder and harder to keep waiting for a car that may or may not be worth it. Plus other brands are coming out with enticing options every day. Ugh.
CTR will be on lots at the end of May, Si will available January-March.

We saw a virtually production-ready Si months ago - I think, if anything, the hatch was behind schedule, and the Si was ahead of schedule - but their marketing plan required the hatch to drop first.

If you considered the previous Si to be worth it, this one will only be more so.

optikalillusi0n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
CTR will be on lots at the end of May, Si will available January-March.

We saw a virtually production-ready Si months ago - I think, if anything, the hatch was behind schedule, and the Si was ahead of schedule - but their marketing plan required the hatch to drop first.

If you considered the previous Si to be worth it, this one will only be more so.
But that was just the coupe, I'm looking to buy the sedan/hatch version and who knows how long it will take for the sedan to follow or the hatch if there is one. I'd love it if they surprised us with more than just the coupe variant at the show, but I've learned to tame my expectations with these things.

How long has it taken for Honda after they introduce one variant of an SI, for the other to follow in the previous generations?

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I think the Si's powertrain has been the long pole in the tent.

By contrast, I think the CTR has been ready; but they are likely fine tuning the suspension/chassis as evident by their recurring visits to Nurburgring.

staylurkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI Coupe, 14' Accord Coupe v6 (RIP)
Country flag

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/10/...uropean-refresh-official-73635/#slide-4266457

There is significant flow down from Audi to the next refreshed 2018 GOLF.
-that center console 12.3" screen that can display road navigation is jaw dropping
-sensing like features on the manual standard
-info system with gestures options. etc etc
-emergency control system - stops the car for the driver on side of the road

I dont have much brand loyalty anymore. With every newer Honda we had more and more issues.

Competition is good for consumers :)
Yea, it flows up at Honda *looks at Acura* I'm a Honda fanboy and even I can't ignore how good the MK7 seems to be anymore. A 7" screen with PS2 graphics and PS2 glitches are not gonna cut it in the Civic for long. In the past at least, you could say you were getting a more sophisticated suspension (Double Wishbone), more exciting engine (Vtec), and superior build quality (self-explanatory) with a Civic. Now, not so much... Both cars have front struts + multilink rears, turbos, and reliability is closer then ever. The devil is now in the details, and the Golf is just the more polished car at the moment. 10th gens a step in the right direction, but i'm already thinking about what a facelift 10.5 would bring. Hope its more than just a volume knob.

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord Sedan 6-6, 2008 Honda Pilot
Country flag
But that was just the coupe, I'm looking to buy the sedan/hatch version and who knows how long it will take for the sedan to follow or the hatch if there is one. I'd love it if they surprised us with more than just the coupe variant at the show, but I've learned to tame my expectations with these things.

How long has it taken for Honda after they introduce one variant of an SI, for the other to follow in the previous generations?
I would consider it likely that we'll only see one variant - probably the coupe. The release of all variants will come fairly close together, as they have in the past. I predict they will all be on lots by March.

As for the engine - I feel confident that the mule we saw months ago was complete, from wheels to moonroof - including (especially) the engine.
Sponsored