2017 Hatchback - This & That - Odds & Ends

zrwizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport,2016 CRV SE, 2014 Mustang, 2011 Mustang, 2010 Civic LX-
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) came on so I checked all four tires and found that they all had exactly 51 PSI...
WDF?
I guess I should have checked the tire pressure when I bought the car 3 weeks ago but it's been cold and I was busy and lazy at the same time...
I lowered all four to 40 PSI since the tire itself says MAX - 51 PSI and the door jam says 32 PSI so I went in between...
I reset the TPMS...
After 2 days the TPMS came on again!
I checked all the tires again and they were all exactly the same 40 PSI as I left them...
Strangeeee...
Still to high
Sponsored

midengine driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport , 2019 Buick Encore AWD, Sold 3800SC Fiero had a few Fieros
Country flag
Installed Philips Xtreme Vision H11 bulbs in my low beams tonight. I installed one and backed the car out of the garage. I then called my wife to come out and sit in the car. I put the garage door down so that the lights were shining on the garage door and asked her which headlight was brighter. She picked the Philips over the bulb Honda installed from the factory. So a non automotive person was able to tell the difference. Why would Honda put cheap low light headlights in a Sport model? Ya know Sport buyers are not going to be driving like a little ole lady!

Install #2 took the short tire value caps off from Honda-- real short on the 18" wheels and installed some old GM take off valve caps that are longer. Looks a lot better. Come on Honda stop being so darned cheap!!

midengine driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport , 2019 Buick Encore AWD, Sold 3800SC Fiero had a few Fieros
Country flag
My Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) came on so I checked all four tires and found that they all had exactly 51 PSI...
WDF?
I guess I should have checked the tire pressure when I bought the car 3 weeks ago but it's been cold and I was busy and lazy at the same time...
I lowered all four to 40 PSI since the tire itself says MAX - 51 PSI and the door jam says 32 PSI so I went in between...
I reset the TPMS...
After 2 days the TPMS came on again!
I checked all the tires again and they were all exactly the same 40 PSI as I left them...
Strangeeee...
This is interesting. I checked my tire pressure after owning the car 2 weeks and found the tires set at 49#. The sticker on the door jam says 35# front and 33# rear. Why are the dealers setting the tires so high? I have the 18" tires.

JermLloyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is interesting. I checked my tire pressure after owning the car 2 weeks and found the tires set at 49#. The sticker on the door jam says 35# front and 33# rear. Why are the dealers setting the tires so high? I have the 18" tires.
Mine came at 34#

MikeRS1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatch
Country flag
Mine were, no lie, in the 60's. Lowered them down to 34. Light came on again. I was close to the dealer and had them redo it, and had it noted that it was so high just in case something was damaged. Never felt so helpless going to a dealer over tire pressure

midengine driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Mine were, no lie, in the 60's. Lowered them down to 34. Light came on again. I was close to the dealer and had them redo it, and had it noted that it was so high just in case something was damaged. Never felt so helpless going to a dealer over tire pressure
Very interesting that this has happened more than once. I wonder if they leave the UK with the pressure high and the dealers prep department doesn't check them? It seems it doesn't matter what model or tire size!

Chance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda civic
Did this to my hatch, still looking at doing the doors but need some double sided tape gap was alittle big on doors. Interior looks good with the red gauges/radio and red interior glow light at night.

IMG_6859.JPG

IMG_6860.JPG
The glow lights come in other colors? Do they run off of a battery or are they connected to the car battery?

OP
OP
chard31

chard31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback EX
I noticed that the wheel locks that the dealer provided as an 'add on' are already starting to rust...
Less than one month...

::: shakes head :::

17Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 CRV EXL AWD; 18 CRV EX AWD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There is someone in my town with a modern steel hatch.. Ive also seen a sonic grey.. Damn i love that color.. But it had new york plates
Finally saw a hatch in the wild yesterday! First one. An Aegean blue like mine.

civicSguy

Feel free to close this account.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport SOLD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Edit: Please delete.

Last edited:

ulieq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Coupe 2019
Country flag
Toyota moved to LED lights. Hyundai moved to standard blind spot monitoring with available honda sensing type collision software. Toyota offers hybrid engines on their best models. Honda is in an interesting position here, they bet a lot on their turbo engine and reputation, but are clearly beginning to lag the industry on these standard equipment, especially since we are paying more than the competition.

tychay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2000
Country flag
Hyundai has always offered more standard. First it was things like heated and powered seats, now that the others have it on mid level trims it is sensing packages. They still offer the best warranty at this price point (often needed because their subpar reliability). People are always going to buy a Hyundai on value, and even if the Elantra Sport 1.6 turbo outperforms the Civic ON PAPER, it gives up almost 10mpg to do so (not to mention a less then stellar real world performance). Hyundai is going to sell to that sort of consumer whether it is the Sonata vis a vis the Camry or the Elantra vis a vis the Civic. Since we are talking about Hatchbacks, IMO, the small wheelbase and trunk of the current model Touring and GT should be compared against the a VW and GTi, not a Civic hatch, at least not until it gets refreshed next year. (I find it a little ironic that one of the big selling points about the Elantra used to be its styling and basically nobody talks about the 2017 elantra body other than to say it is bigger than the previous, but people love/hate the Civics esp. the Civic hatch).

As for Toyota, the largest auto manufacturer and makers of the top selling Camry, their best Corolla is not even in the same performance category as the base Civic, so they've been adding more stuff to lower trims to not get totally blown out right now in comparison drives it loses out because ... has no power, sluggish handling, outdated rear suspension, boring interior, infotainment is awful, cabin noise, etc. etc. To know that this is just a layover until they can do a refresh because sales are lagging, just look at how the Lexus models come with nearly nothing standard. Most people still buying the Corolla now are people who find the newer styles too far out there for them or they are buying the base model which hits a lower price point after dealer incentives. This year, Toyota added more safety features so they can claim IIHS top safety pick (a window opened up ONLY because the Civic LEDs got an unchararistically low rating in "glare"). Most importantly in this the thread is the fact that the the Corolla iM, their only hatchback, is just a rebranded Psion designed to compete with the Fit, not the Civic hatch. Toyotas only offering in this size hatch is the Prius V. People buying that have a unique set of reasons totally different from the Civic hatch.

Every manufacturer has a niche where they are going to be more attractive than their competitor. Whether that is the Mazda3 on options and handling, the Impreza on AWD and reliability, the Golf on the Honda Fit sizing/stealth styling performance GTi/illegally polluting TDI, etc. But I bet every one of them wishes their car could switch places with the Civic right now (top selling car in its category in nearly every region worldwide with two more models this year... and that's not including a hybrid/ev/fuel cell model in later years). The only bad thing I see about Hondas strategy in the Civic is they've completely squeezed out the Acura ILX. I'm not really honestly sure they'll keep it or it will go the way of the one beloved Integra. Normally I'd think they'd just put a detuned type R engine in a plainer body and call it a day, but with Honda going global, maybe we've reached the point where Acura will be synonymous with SUV, instead of luxury. :-( But I suppose it's fine for them, they don't have a Lexus CT they have to worry about (this is a HATCH thread right?)

Last edited: