2017 Hatch smoke when accelerating briskly - coolant or just a turbo thing?

CrazyALee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX hatchback
Country flag
Been driving the past week, and I tried hard to replicate the smoke, but there was none?! Also, coolant levels have not changed......*I'm baffled, will continue to monitor......

If it makes any difference, I took babied the car during breaking in period with just a few occasional spirited accelerations. It was only recently I decided to drive it harder. Maybe some factory stuff is being spit out still
Sponsored

Last edited:

Callou2131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 HRV EX, 2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Glad I found this on a search. Im at 2100 miles hatchback ex and have the same thing. Haven't checked my coolant, but I will tomorrow.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
I call normal too, was going to work yesterday and had a loser come up and tailgate me, luckily I was fully warmed up and shoved some 20psi out both pipes (-20) he literally disappeared with all the steam and crap coming out my exhaust. I felt like I was rolling white coal on his ass :p:drive:

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I call normal too, was going to work yesterday and had a loser come up and tailgate me, luckily I was fully warmed up and shoved some 20psi out both pipes (-20) he literally disappeared with all the steam and crap coming out my exhaust. I felt like I was rolling white coal on his ass :p:drive:
He probably wanted to race.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine smokes black when i floor it, It is "normal" on turbo cars, try to look under an Audi and how the exhaust looks like.....
I think they keep the mixture rich during transitory loads to be safe

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatch smoke when accelerating briskly - coolant or just a turbo thing? IMG_20170126_133809

Blueciv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex
Country flag
I have the 2.0 2016 civic sedan
I had to add coolant. Not a big deal but I will be keeping an eye on it

jcraig3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport MT
2017 Hatch Sport Manual here, about 800 miles. I found this thread on a google search for the same issue I was having. I noticed some white smoke coming out of my tailpipe while sitting idle after a short drive. Before I took that drive I had opened the air filter case to inspect the filter after driving through some heavy construction. Wasn't sure if I knocked something loose or what. It seems to be ok now, but I'm keeping an eye on it.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
22k miles and never saw smoke on my 1.5t sedan including two winters (2015 purchase)

However after turning off the car and going to rear I sometimes see some residual smoke coming out of tailpipes.

CrazyALee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX hatchback
Country flag
Another update, car has roughly 17k miles now. It is winter time again maybe in the 40-50's here (southern california), and today I noticed some white smoke in my rear view mirror when I stomped on the accerlator for a brisk pull (off a roll going about 20mph to 50mph). Happened twice. I tried replicating again after those 2 times and nothing after those. Cheked coolant reservior when got home and it used to be on the "Max" mark but now its bewteen the Min and Max mark. Maybe its a seasonal thing or mixture of the temperature and other conditions? I dont know. Car runs fine otherwise and oil on dipstick does not seem creamy. will keep monitoring.

Last edited:

FK718

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EX Hatch w/ Honda Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My '18 EX Hatch w/ around 9k miles does this as well (puff of white smoke when the CVT decides to "shift"). There's one particular road I love to do a pull on every couple of weeks, and it will always do this if I haven't driven it hard in a while. I've always chalked it up to deposits or something similar because it won't do it again after that first pull. It did scare me a little the first time I noticed it though haha. I do run 93 octane premium all the time if that helps anyone.

CrazyALee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX hatchback
Country flag
My '18 EX Hatch w/ around 9k miles does this as well (puff of white smoke when the CVT decides to "shift"). There's one particular road I love to do a pull on every couple of weeks, and it will always do this if I haven't driven it hard in a while. I've always chalked it up to deposits or something similar because it won't do it again after that first pull. It did scare me a little the first time I noticed it though haha. I do run 93 octane premium all the time if that helps anyone.

how's your coolant level in the reservoir tank?

FK718

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EX Hatch w/ Honda Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
how's your coolant level in the reservoir tank?
Apologies for the late reply. I checked the coolant level today and it was right where it should be. The temp gauge has stayed rock steady the year that I've owned it.

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
My 17' Civic is at 60k and some change and I am also getting that whiteish smoke. I was trying to get up to speed after a doofus going 50mph was in the fast lane and when I looked back at the MDX behind me, I saw a bellow of smoke. This doesn't seem like the first thing and it seems to only occur when I'm close to WOT and above high RPM.

tomc

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic ex hatch
Dude, thank God you posted this. I thought I was the only one. I have about 2500 miles on my 2017 civic hatch, EX CVT now. And I do drive it normal but once in a while, I floor it, and I also noticed a whiteish smoke cloud from my rear view mirror! This does not happen every time I accerlate briskly, so its quite hard to replicate....I'd say maybe 30% of the time it happens. I think its easier to replicate if I havent done any heavy acceleration for a while, driving the car relatively easy then decided to step on it to do brisk acceleration....

Also, please check your coolant level! I had to add some to my reservoir/overflow tank. It was below the minimum mark. I'm keeping a close eye on mine. The engine runs strong and feels fine otherwise. I'm not car tech/mechanic savvy, and I dont know if these 2 issues are related, but I tried googling general info on coolant loss and smoke from exhaust on turbo cars.....I found most common answers to be possible head gasket or crack in the block?
Sponsored