jepoi03

First Name
Rolando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport
Country flag
I used a hole saw to cut the panel in the spot where the other models have them. Was super simple and less scary than I thought. As others had suggested, I ran the drill in reverse and it worked perfectly. I did look up the price of the entire door panel in case I messes one up, and they were pretty reasonable.

6rPrGKxKzOkRdH_1HfFAztPPJSlrySejg_pvWQ_axD0vBH_uQYwlArCZkKEAHxsbn0JPIAAaPtZm3yN6pI=w1156-h867-no.jpg

BmRScLlZ5XLusLaPdlRzjb5Kuhwb5bPZYrPnV08ZIwJobmbN4R210ns8rJpOyducvchHUa1Edk2SzNyB08=w1156-h867-no.jpg
That looks really nice... Thanks a
lot.
Sponsored

jepoi03

First Name
Rolando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I also put my tweeters in the rear door. I traced the cutout and used a dremel with a routing bit to cut very slowly. There’s an impression in the plastic for the factory tweeters, I just used that to center my cutout template for the JL tweeters.

7A399E72-4B24-4A52-A1F9-C19967143AF8.jpeg
Thank you!!!

jepoi03

First Name
Rolando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That looks really nice... Thanks a
lot.
I used a hole saw to cut the panel in the spot where the other models have them. Was super simple and less scary than I thought. As others had suggested, I ran the drill in reverse and it worked perfectly. I did look up the price of the entire door panel in case I messes one up, and they were pretty reasonable.

6rPrGKxKzOkRdH_1HfFAztPPJSlrySejg_pvWQ_axD0vBH_uQYwlArCZkKEAHxsbn0JPIAAaPtZm3yN6pI=w1156-h867-no.jpg

BmRScLlZ5XLusLaPdlRzjb5Kuhwb5bPZYrPnV08ZIwJobmbN4R210ns8rJpOyducvchHUa1Edk2SzNyB08=w1156-h867-no.jpg
what components did you install? how's the SQ? can i use those with just the stock HU?

Do you have pictures of the amp and sub? I'm thinking of adding sub and mono amp after I change the front and rear speakers. Thank you so much.

Last edited:

rjm161

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
I have since installed the box a bit more permanently but here are some pics. I did MB Quart ZLine components, but after I got them I found out they were sold to Maxxsonics years ago. I am SUPER happy with how they sound for the price, thankfully.

I have a Skar 75x4 amp driving the components and a 600x1 driving the sub.

I built boards and carpeted them....the Skar Amps fit just fine but I had to trim the foam under the board (This is a Sport...other models have a different hatch setup due to not having the center exhaust).

I originally used my factory head unit with an AudioControl LCQ-1, but had some issues and gave up and put a Kenwood head unit in and ran RCAs. Super happy with it now.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatch 8" subwoofer install UXjJYlf0eiYSY5JSUtuvU-z8SfqQu9j4baN2mGCaIsR3VC9ACemYp-8ayCYSjKpKXzQI6RZkhYBXbc59c=w1577-h1182-no

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatch 8" subwoofer install MRj_3HlmYMzoPgJ9qhsXjw01MOiThtkvM7qv-A0wPCodEh66wQiNWIucio3UtAxAMiffZd--GB6yW7ZVo=w1577-h1182-no

jepoi03

First Name
Rolando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have since installed the box a bit more permanently but here are some pics. I did MB Quart ZLine components, but after I got them I found out they were sold to Maxxsonics years ago. I am SUPER happy with how they sound for the price, thankfully.

I built boards and carpeted them....the Skar Amps fit just fine but I had to trim the foam under the board (This is a Sport...other models have a different hatch setup due to not having the center exhaust).

I originally used my factory head unit with an AudioControl LCQ-1, but had some issues and gave up and put a Kenwood head unit in and ran RCAs. Super happy with it now.

UXjJYlf0eiYSY5JSUtuvU-z8SfqQu9j4baN2mGCaIsR3VC9ACemYp-8ayCYSjKpKXzQI6RZkhYBXbc59c=w1577-h1182-no.jpg

MRj_3HlmYMzoPgJ9qhsXjw01MOiThtkvM7qv-A0wPCodEh66wQiNWIucio3UtAxAMiffZd--GB6yW7ZVo=w1577-h1182-no.jpg
That looks really clean... thank you so much.

jepoi03

First Name
Rolando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

UXjJYlf0eiYSY5JSUtuvU-z8SfqQu9j4baN2mGCaIsR3VC9ACemYp-8ayCYSjKpKXzQI6RZkhYBXbc59c=w1577-h1182-no.jpg

MRj_3HlmYMzoPgJ9qhsXjw01MOiThtkvM7qv-A0wPCodEh66wQiNWIucio3UtAxAMiffZd--GB6yW7ZVo=w1577-h1182-no.jpg
What is your tweeter/crossover setting?

How did you install the front tweeter? Did you buy the sail panel with the tweeter? Why did you install the crossover in the trunk and not inside the doors? Is the enough clearance inside the door to mount the tweeter? Im sold with the mb quart z line

rjm161

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What is your tweeter/crossover setting?

How did you install the front tweeter? Did you buy the sail panel with the tweeter? Why did you install the crossover in the trunk and not inside the doors? Is the enough clearance inside the door to mount the tweeter? Im sold with the mb quart z line
I bought the sail panels from the EX and they required very little modification. I was torn on where to put the crossovers...I don't like putting them in the doors for two reasons: first, you have to pull the panel off if you need to get to them for any reason, and also because of the concern of moisture. I asked a couple friends about distance...they both said that an extra 10 feet won't make a difference, and since I had 4 of them to hide, I figured this way was cleaner. I did run all new wire to the doors...and that wasn't a lot of fun getting through the rubber wire path between the frame and door.

Clearance was no issue...in fact, the said panels were on backorder and I drilled out the original ones and had them mounted flush in there before I was able to get the sail panels. No clearance issue either way, I just liked the look of the EX sail panels and like that they are angled a bit toward you.

I do love the Z-lines...I have the tweeter set at -6 db. They are a bit bright...not harsh though. I have listened to some Polk, Infinity and JBL recently...all at similar price points, and I am perfectly happy with the MB Quart. If I had wanted to spend more, I would have gone for JLs, but my goal was an entire system for under $1500 including all of the installation parts and tools and I was able to do that, until I decide to replace the head unit. But dollar for dollar, I am THRILLED with this setup.

Sail Panels are the last two parts on the page:
https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.co...atcgry3=5DR+EX&catcgry4=KACVT&catcgry5=MIRROR

Here was the original:
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatch 8" subwoofer install fUsbMtdqWQf_8JfZrt-VLz0zFVM3poD_S2PFvAJe-YNmWeBKj2qDoQf93Ue-R9QmPhHMAPjVqBzl9YmaQ=w1577-h1182-no

Here's the EX sail:

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatch 8" subwoofer install 0H-u70CEVKXX3T4ziu4IRZe9eXDeQ4_Heg71OBmGJrTi_KL1-hKdJwhbsHueXzwVi0vL0nDc80Q_RGwXk=w1577-h1182-no

Last edited:

jepoi03

First Name
Rolando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I bought the sail panels from the EX and they required very little modification. I was torn on where to put the crossovers...I don't like putting them in the doors for two reasons: first, you have to pull the panel off if you need to get to them for any reason, and also because of the concern of moisture. I asked a couple friends about distance...they both said that an extra 10 feet won't make a difference, and since I had 4 of them to hide, I figured this way was cleaner. I did run all new wire to the doors...and that wasn't a lot of fun getting through the rubber wire path between the frame and door.

Clearance was no issue...in fact, the said panels were on backorder and I drilled out the original ones and had them mounted flush in there before I was able to get the sail panels. No clearance issue either way, I just liked the look of the EX sail panels and like that they are angled a bit toward you.

I do love the Z-lines...I have the tweeter set at -6 db. They are a bit bright...not harsh though. I have listened to some Polk, Infinity and JBL recently...all at similar price points, and I am perfectly happy with the MB Quart. If I had wanted to spend more, I would have gone for JLs, but my goal was an entire system for under $1500 including all of the installation parts and tools and I was able to do that, until I decide to replace the head unit. But dollar for dollar, I am THRILLED with this setup.

https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.co...atcgry3=5DR+EX&catcgry4=KACVT&catcgry5=MIRROR

Here was the original:
fUsbMtdqWQf_8JfZrt-VLz0zFVM3poD_S2PFvAJe-YNmWeBKj2qDoQf93Ue-R9QmPhHMAPjVqBzl9YmaQ=w1577-h1182-no.jpg

Here's the EX sail:

0H-u70CEVKXX3T4ziu4IRZe9eXDeQ4_Heg71OBmGJrTi_KL1-hKdJwhbsHueXzwVi0vL0nDc80Q_RGwXk=w1577-h1182-no.jpg
Thank you again!!!

rjm161

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I did just remember one thing. I used these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JK1484S/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and I did have to cut the metal in the bottom of each door to get the speakers to fit. Not sure if it was the profile on the basket of the MB Quarts or if you'd have to do it for any speaker. I would recommend having a jigsaw with good metal blades available. Mine wasn't so pretty and I was in hour 14 of the install, so I was just trying to get it done.

Also, I used these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016LFVKHY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 just because I figured I'd give them a shot. I tested one with and one without and feel they really made a difference.

jepoi03

First Name
Rolando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I did just remember one thing. I used these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JK1484S/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and I did have to cut the metal in the bottom of each door to get the speakers to fit. Not sure if it was the profile on the basket of the MB Quarts or if you'd have to do it for any speaker. I would recommend having a jigsaw with good metal blades available. Mine wasn't so pretty and I was in hour 14 of the install, so I was just trying to get it done.

Also, I used these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016LFVKHY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 just because I figured I'd give them a shot. I tested one with and one without and feel they really made a difference.
I might need to look for a different set of speakers, im not confident cutting metal on the doors.

rjm161

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I might need to look for a different set of speakers, im not confident cutting metal on the doors.
I realize the concern, but it was VERY minimal cutting necessary to get them to fit. Just about a 1.5" section at the bottom by where the two pieces from the trim clip down into slots. I wish I had taken a picture, but once you pull the factory ones out, you can see the two parts that protrude up into the speaker basket.

It might be necessary with any 6.5"...I'm not sure.

cestjoel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag

Here was the original:
fUsbMtdqWQf_8JfZrt-VLz0zFVM3poD_S2PFvAJe-YNmWeBKj2qDoQf93Ue-R9QmPhHMAPjVqBzl9YmaQ=w1577-h1182-no.jpg

Here's the EX sail:

0H-u70CEVKXX3T4ziu4IRZe9eXDeQ4_Heg71OBmGJrTi_KL1-hKdJwhbsHueXzwVi0vL0nDc80Q_RGwXk=w1577-h1182-no.jpg
Does it sound better with the EX sail panels? I thought of this after I already installed the tweeters. Also, what's the biggest size you can use in the EX sail panel tweeter opening? My tweeters are bigger than normal at 1.1" vs 3/4" like most.

This is my set up.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatch 8" subwoofer install IMG_7210.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatch 8" subwoofer install IMG_7211.JPG

dastanli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry, Tacoma
Country flag
Cost for building the box was $150 not including the subwoofer purchase. I talked to the audio shop, they said it was right around spec for an 8" subwoofer which is 0.4 cubic feet. I also confirmed that it is entirely made of wood. I guess they used a router to get the rounded edges.
Damn the JL audio 8inch sub I am looking at requires at least a suggested .875cuft. Gonna ask around the local shops and get an est on cost to build a box. Maybe I'll just have to build one myself.
Sponsored