First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Flawless install, nice work. Did you make the box completely out of wood or do you have a fiberglass shell with a wood face?

I'm planning to do the same type of install with a Kicker L7 10", but I need to make sure I have the volume for that sub in that pocket.

fsucutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red EX-L Hatchback
Country flag
Hey all, just got a 2017 Civic Hatchback LX and upgraded the stock stereo. Here is a pic of my custom subwoofer install. I thought I would share this since I didn't see many pics in the forum when I was researching upgrades for my own setup.

20170228_181149.jpg
Thats a great install and look! Nearly exactly what I would like to have done...can you tell me, it looks like an extremely smooth integration/transition from the existing trunk interior to your custom box. That is what I'm seeing, right? A great job matching the carpet and the lines of the trunk space...because I don't have that in mine, the area that your sub takes up is empty space in mine.

I've thought of - and wondered how hard it would be - to try and install a sub where the sub is normally installed in the Sport-Touring line. Seems it's opposite your install in the wheel well area.

So, just making sure of what I'm seeing - you created the box from scratch and installed it into a void in your trunk, right?

Great stuff.

Smitty33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Ex
Would love to put a sub there but my golf clubs fit perfectly across. I dont have to lower the back seats and load that way.

OP
OP

phoenixhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch LX
Sorry I should have specified in the initial post that I had my local audio shop build the box for me. I had them remove the spare tire tools from the side and relocate them in with the spare tire. As far as I can tell they only used wood for this install.

Fsucutter, you are correct that it is just a transition from the existing trunk liner. They did an amazing job matching the carpet color.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry I should have specified in the initial post that I had my local audio shop build the box for me. I had them remove the spare tire tools from the side and relocate them in with the spare tire. As far as I can tell they only used wood for this install.

Fsucutter, you are correct that it is just a transition from the existing trunk liner. They did an amazing job matching the carpet color.
If you don't mind I'd love to know how much this cost you. (mainly for the construction of the box, not the speaker). Bonus points if you are able to provide the interior volume of the box (usually measured in cubic feet).

OP
OP

phoenixhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch LX
Cost for building the box was $150 not including the subwoofer purchase. I talked to the audio shop, they said it was right around spec for an 8" subwoofer which is 0.4 cubic feet. I also confirmed that it is entirely made of wood. I guess they used a router to get the rounded edges.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Cost for building the box was $150 not including the subwoofer purchase. I talked to the audio shop, they said it was right around spec for an 8" subwoofer which is 0.4 cubic feet. I also confirmed that it is entirely made of wood. I guess they used a router to get the rounded edges.
$150 isn't bad. I would have guessed it was bigger than that though. An 8" sub sure beats a 0" sub.

fsucutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red EX-L Hatchback
Country flag

They sure did...! Can you tell me if the box is just 'sitting' in there or is is attached in ways we can't see. Basically I love this and would love to have it done for me/mine...so here we go!... any chance you would mind posting the name/phone number of the shop? I'd love to give them a call and see if they would build one for me!

Thanks again for the post and answers!

OP
OP

phoenixhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch LX
Sure! They actually drilled a small hole somewhere on the inside for a mounting screw that is not visible when the sub is removed and the spare tire tools are put back in. I originally left out the name of the company because I wasn't sure what forum rules are. I'll post it for now but if it is against the rules please let me know, I'll delete the post and take it to PM.

Sun Valley Stereo
sunvalleystereo.com
(602) 957-3397
2809 E Thomas Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85016

Ryan is who helped me and got me setup with everything.

Interestingly, there was another 2017 Civic Hatch there that day getting a system installed. Though this guy had the Sport 6 Speed Manual. Ryan told me he had to travel to Colorado from Arizona to get it. I would have loved to get a Sport 6 speed but I wasn't willing to go the extra mile to get it. CVT isn't too bad though :)

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They sure did...! Can you tell me if the box is just 'sitting' in there or is is attached in ways we can't see. Basically I love this and would love to have it done for me/mine...so here we go!... any chance you would mind posting the name/phone number of the shop? I'd love to give them a call and see if they would build one for me!

Thanks again for the post and answers!
I bet they could sell a fair number of these, it looks very cleanly done.

vonlaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
That looks super clean. Want to do something similar in mine. Was thinking about buying the sport touring sub enclosure and seeing if I can make it work. But this looks much easier. Let's get a group buy going!

fsucutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red EX-L Hatchback
Country flag
That looks super clean. Want to do something similar in mine. Was thinking about buying the sport touring sub enclosure and seeing if I can make it work. But this looks much easier. Let's get a group buy going!
Wait a second...where can ya' order the sub-enclosure? And that sounds like a great idea, and one I was already asking around to stereo installers about doing - a custom enclosure that utilizes the same place that the Sport Touring sub uses. So far, the pricing has been really steep - like first quote was $1400 - $1600, including a 10" Memphis sub, 400 watt amp, and wiring and install - this would be to build the custom box and cut it into the wheel well - where the Sport Tour sub is. Seemed wayyyyyy steep to me - then he tells me (after I show him the box above) that he would do it that way for $900. Again...seemed high.

But, I'm pretty new at this.

vonlaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
Wait a second...where can ya' order the sub-enclosure?
39140-TEA-A01
https://i.imgur.com/ZMBNToy.png
#5 in the drawing
~$150 includes 8" sub

But you'll have to either cut out the lining or buy the sport touring lining for almost $300. Not sure what else would be involved.

Here's the lining differences:
https://i.imgur.com/joicLCq.png
#5 is sport 84601-TGG-A01ZA
#6 is sport touring 84601-TGG-A11ZA

If someone has pics of the oem sub enclosure and how it sits I'd love to see. Otherwise it looks like building a box can be just as clean.
Sponsored