2017 CIVIC Type R Tire Replacement Procedure Video Official Honda Video for Honda Employees

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
I wanted to share this short video that was originally 4 separate clips with my fellow CivicX members. It is for Honda employees who will work on the Type R's. I'm sure there will be more to come, but this is all that's available for now. This section is exclusively for Tires and mounting procedures.

Sponsored

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Thank you! If there are any more CTR specific training videos, please share them.

@JYR, was this the dealer hold up you were referring to?

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
My gut tells me that there will be a lot of scratched up CTR rims in the next year or two due to inexperienced techs.

Detailmylifeaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type r , s2000 , delsol & soon to be a NSX
Country flag
Very nice info !! I wonder if all Honda dealerships will get one of those machines?

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Very nice info !! I wonder if all Honda dealerships will get one of those machines?
Per the video, it's highly recommended but not mandatory. In other words, majority of the dealers won't be spending 5-10k just to service a few CTRs a year.

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I go through a LOT of tires. This is going to suck if they don't have those machines. How long those specific models have been distributed?

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
I go through a LOT of tires. This is going to suck if they don't have those machines. How long those specific models have been distributed?
There are better wheel and tire options if you go through tires quickly. The OEM tires are only meant for commuting and occasional canyon driving IMO.

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am waiting for good options for rims. Might take a bit until after the car is released. Plus, I am very picky. Once I go through the OEM tires, going to go with PS4's.

hondatech nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline
Per the video, it's highly recommended but not mandatory. In other words, majority of the dealers won't be spending 5-10k just to service a few CTRs a year.
Try 50k that's how much the revolution is. The hunter guy was just at my dealer when we had to buy a new balancer and he had that machine on his demo truck.

hondatech nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline
My gut tells me that there will be a lot of scratched up CTR rims in the next year or two due to inexperienced techs.
Doesn't matter how experienced you are if you don't have the right equipment. In the test from honda they have a link to shops that have the right equipment to change them and we are supposed to tell customers where to go if they dont have the machine.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Doesn't matter how experienced you are if you don't have the right equipment. In the test from honda they have a link to shops that have the right equipment to change them and we are supposed to tell customers where to go if they dont have the machine.
I don't have a lot of faith in the service advisors knowing that the CTR will require a special machine. They'll most likely make the appointment anyway and some tech will end up scratching the rim.

hondatech nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline
I don't have a lot of faith in the service advisors knowing that the CTR will require a special machine. They'll most likely make the appointment anyway and some tech will end up scratching the rim.
That's why you are on here. Now you have the information just make sure you ask if they have the machine when you make an appointment. If they don't go elsewhere. I'm going to have to go somewhere else to get my tires installed and I work at a honda dealer because they aren't going to spend that kinda money to service 1 cars tires.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
That's why you are on here. Now you have the information just make sure you ask if they have the machine when you make an appointment. If they don't go elsewhere. I'm going to have to go somewhere else to get my tires installed and I work at a honda dealer because they aren't going to spend that kinda money to service 1 cars tires.
Works in theory, but not in practice.

1. Most owners won't know and or won't care to know this information.
2. Service advisor will give you a blank face if you ask them.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Very good info. Thank you very much. Im going to also post this in the wheel thread.
On a side note - did anyone else notice that the red pin striping on the CTR in the demo video was already peeling?