2017 Civic Type R Sets 7:43.80 FWD Nurburgring Record! [Video]

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
7:12 is really fast. Almost as fast as the Nismo GTR with Nurburgring package.
Sponsored

romulanvox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord CL7A JDM
Country flag
The Porsche driver seems to be working less hard at steering than the CTR driver. In the CTR lap video, there are many instances where the steering looks quite twitchy, is it due to the CTR's fwd and high HP?

pukemon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 DBP Civic SI
31.1 seconds is a shit ton of time... they aren't even comparable.

Also, still slower than cheaper GT-R and '08 ACR viper

I have an idea. Since you are obviously such an expert, why don't you go to Germany, rent a GT3, and go show everyone how it's done and clock a 7:07, putting it in super-car territory.
Lmao. Not a pro by far. That Porsche seemed to have loads of grip leftover. Btw, my best time on the ring on gran turismo in a ~450's HP/TQ car is somewhere around ~7:40 on medium racing tires. I can do 8 mins flat all day long after a few practice laps in 300+ HP/TQ cars. And that's from a 0 m/ph start. An 8th gen civic is somewheres around 8.5 mins IIRC on a good lap tweaked to about 250hp/tq. And not a rolling start like the videos. I haven't been able to break 7:30, much less 7:15, but alas I only binge play a couple times a year now. Dont have the time to tweak my digital cars into track monsters like back in GT 1 and 2 days.

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
The Porsche driver seems to be working less hard at steering than the CTR driver. In the CTR lap video, there are many instances where the steering looks quite twitchy, is it due to the CTR's fwd and high HP?
It can be due to a lot of things. Probably a good deal of it is that the porsche is probably riding on nice german digressive shocks that are nice and soft on high speed bumps. Next time you see a porsche on the freeway take a look at the wheels as it moves. They look low but actually have a lot of stroke on the suspension and deals with bumps super well. Japanese shocks tend to not be as digressive, so to get good body control they end up with harsh hard shocks that doesn't deal well with bumps at speed.

A lot of the twitchiness looks like it's on corner entry. It could be that the GT3 has a lot more toe-in, especially on the rears, which makes the car more stable and auto-correcting in a straight line. I would think the type r wouldn't have as much toe in in the rear since it needs to get the rears to turn and doesn't have the advantage of using throttle to turn the rear.

It could also be that the gt3 has more downforce helping with traction on the bumps.

I'm sure there's a ton of other possible reasons too.

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
I read that the GT3 had also rear axle steering.
I drove such a car (Renault Talisman with 4Control, I guess same platform with Nissan Maxima). At speeds < 60kph the back wheels turn in opposite direction to the front ones, so the car can take turns very fast, small turning radius. It was taking roundabouts on wet like it was on rails. I could never do this with my Bimmer. At higher speeds the rear wheels turn in the same direction which results in going right/left faster and more stable. On wet road switching quite fast R-L at 80-90 mph no trace of sliding/ESP. Very difficult to loose the back as rear wheels will rotate instead of sliding.
Imagine now the implementation of Porsche for this system, how fast can you corner.
Imagine also if Honda implemented this system(an electrical steering rack on the back).

Last edited:

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
lower center of gravity
245f/305r mm wide tires
rear axle steering
Dynamic engine mounts
Torque Vectoring

Guesses:
I believe still has Bilsteins shocks
Not sure of the steering rack. but I assume it has progressive steering
progressive springs

Not sure how to compare VSA with PSM or if even those systems can be fully turned off. Our 07 C2S, shows PSM is turned off, but still intervenes at the limit.

pukemon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 DBP Civic SI
I think many people overlook the fact you don't need the harshest suspension to have control of the vehicle. Forgiving suspension goes a long way in handling. Too tight you misjudge the car's capability. Too soft and you probably won't throw it as hard. Meet in the middle and you're in control.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hondadata R&D finds 2017 Civic Type R limit.. But can't tell anyone.. ;) Due to liability.

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hondadata R&D finds 2017 Civic Type R limit.. But can't tell anyone.. ;) Due to liability.
You have to work for Honda. Throw out a vague teaser and not give any straight answers.

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So far BR performance tuned FK2R with same engine from stock: 310 Hp / 400 Nm to Stage 1: 350 Hp / 500 Nm Stage 2: 370 Hp / 520 Nm. I'm guessing it wouldn't be above 400HP/540NM this Hondata maximum.

Now for what the "limit" means. Even if current engine parameters are within normal ranges, on the longer term the powertrain can be subjected to an increased wear rate. It's normal as in car design the components are sized for specific loads, ok with some margin of safety. Unless these upgrades get reliability testing it's a gamble how the car will hold up on longer term.
I'd keep the car to enjoy it longer(5-10 yrs at least) and plan not to track it so stock is fine. Others will flip it faster and want more performance so why not upgrading.

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would be thrilled to own a Type R and just leave it stock. Drive it for the next 10 years even.
With this downsizing/environmentalist/tech trend I guess that in the not too distant future these nicely powered internal combustion enthusiast cars will be extinct. That's one of the reasons I'm looking for a keeper enthusiast's car. To taste it every now end then. Just to remember how it feels driving a real car.
Sponsored