2017 Civic Type R Reviews Compilation

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Country flag
from everything so far, there is not much of a feel. Also the dual axis set up actually mutes even more feel for eliminating torquesteer. Focus RS is up there with porsche electric systems in feel.
The reviews have not been consistent on this - some reviewers have stated that there is enough feel to know what the wheels are doing, and a few said the steering was communicative. And those that have mentioned it as a drawback have indicated it's not a major concern. I haven't read any review that explicitly claims the RS steering feel is any better.

Anyways I don't think this is what the questioner was asking - he's talking about the actual in-hand feel of the steering wheel itself, not how communicative it is.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Country flag
Jalopnik review just went up....

http://jalopnik.com/the-2018-honda-civic-type-r-is-a-beast-but-you-wont-for-1796079078

First negative review so far - not so much due to any explicit comments, but more the "meh" tone of the piece - he clearly found the car a letdown. He's the first reviewer to find torque steer a problem, and he bangs away at the lack of a fierce exhaust note. He also hammers away at the switch blanks and the (admittedly ridiculous) fake grill blanks near the fog lamps and around back.

Last edited:

Tonezorz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Series.Yellow BRZ, 2014 Legacy, 2015 Crosstrek. Previous: 2011 Miata GT PRHT 2009 Forester XT, 2007 Cobalt
TFLCAR posted their new video about an hour ago..not sure if it was shared yet
That was terrible. Most hacked together review yet.

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
To me, the best review yet is the Engineering Explained one, mostly from the mechanical perspective the CTR is a weapon and pretty much what you’re looking for to do/ mod in a FWD car, already in stock form.

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

http://jalopnik.com/the-2018-honda-civic-type-r-is-a-beast-but-you-wont-for-1796079078

First negative review so far - not so much due to any explicit comments, but more the "meh" tone of the piece - he clearly found the car a letdown. He's the first reviewer to find torque steer a problem, and he bangs away at the lack of a fierce exhaust note. He also hammers away at the switch blanks and the (admittedly ridiculous) fake grill blanks near the fog lamps and around back.
Jalopnik author writes this article like a ranting kid. I don't know enough about him to know his credentials and his ability to drive a track, but he seems to be the first person I've seen that complained about how it drives. I get that there is a heritage to follow, but the comparisons with the Integra are ridiculous and frankly overplayed at this point. The Civics we grew up with were much smaller and lighter, and the overall trend across all manufacturers was to make the cars bigger. Plus, he makes it sound like they use to come off the factory line pumping full of track testosterone... oh but wait, people modded the hell out of these cars because it's fun and that's what enthusiasts do. With any review it must be taken with a grain of salt, and perhaps I am somewhat bias because I am getting the FK8 in less than a month, but his review just came across immature.

To me, the best review yet is the Engineering Explained one, mostly from the mechanical perspective the CTR is a weapon and pretty much what you’re looking for to do/ mod in a FWD car, already in stock form.
Jason from EE is incredibly professional with this reviews and puts in a lot of effort to make his videos educational. A lot of the other reviews felt like a read from the brochure; "Has air vents, turbo, wing, goes fast, no torque steer, I like car." EE was the review I was waiting for most out of all of them.

ronmcdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FiestaST, 19 Si, Camaro Z1LE, EvoX, 98 240sx
Country flag
What is the reasoning behind this instistence

I didn't get the sense that it was negative overall, but I agree it seemed like there was some letdown. I think it's helpful to get different types of drivers on the track and see what they got out of the experience. What I got from this review was that the car needed to be driven smoothly to get the most out of it. What I failed to find clarity over, was why the car may not have been performing so well in the last few laps. My guess would be that the tires have something to do with it, the Continentals being used something that's entirely new.

I was pleased to read the things that do matter to me, like the seats, brakes holding up, shifter, steering, etc all holding up well. I think it would be unrealistic to assume there is zero torque steer, so I was not really bothered too much about that. Having a quiet exhaust was a real positive to me, and I imagine not everyone would consider that a negative.

I agree that it seems silly that there are so many blank buttons and it would have been welcome to allow the user to calibrate individual settings as part of the different 3 drive modes instead of lumping steering weight, throttle response, rev match, etc into a single setting.

Last edited:

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
ETA: The review linked above by Northern is my favourite video review so far, and one of the best-driven.

People may not like the Jalopnik review, but he wins - for this quote from his follow-up article:

"Fog lights should be yellow, especially on Japanese cars. And especially on white Japanese cars. I am not interested in counter-arguments." http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/five-mods-id-do-to-my-2018-honda-civic-type-r-immediate-1796108313

Also, http://jalopnik.com/you-ll-never-guess-why-the-2018-honda-civic-type-r-has-1796080537

While I'm here, AutoBild's run of the CTR to top speed (on, I presume, the Autobahn):

Last edited:

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
ETA: The review linked above by Northern is my favourite video review so far, and one of the best-driven.

People may not like the Jalopnik review, but he wins - for this quote from his follow-up article:

"Fog lights should be yellow, especially on Japanese cars. And especially on white Japanese cars. I am not interested in counter-arguments." http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/five-mods-id-do-to-my-2018-honda-civic-type-r-immediate-1796108313

Also, http://jalopnik.com/you-ll-never-guess-why-the-2018-honda-civic-type-r-has-1796080537

While I'm here, AutoBild's run of the CTR to top speed (on, I presume, the Autobahn):
Wow 276! The gearing will do 300 forsure around 7000.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Roadshow review:

Just wow. Loved that demonstration of the absolute disappearance of torque steer.
I watched the vid solely because of what you said (for those who haven't watched Roadshow's review, he demos it at 2:55).

That was eerie. I wouldn't have believed it if he hadn't shown what it could do hands-off the wheel. Not even my '86 Civic DX, with as little power as it had, could avoid torque steer.

Grr. Wishing more and more that I hadn't been on such a time crunch to replace my EP.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Bravo, Road & Track, Bravo.
He even wrote Abe Simpson into it.

I wonder how Yr. fthfl svrt, the late R&T writer Henry R. Manney III, would have described the R. Or how clearly Dennis Simanaitis would have broken down how the dual-axis suspension works (although the Engineering Explained kid does a great job himself).

Man, I miss the old days of R&T...
Sponsored