2017 Civic Type R Reviews Compilation

Tonezorz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Series.Yellow BRZ, 2014 Legacy, 2015 Crosstrek. Previous: 2011 Miata GT PRHT 2009 Forester XT, 2007 Cobalt
The only stop-gap from making me confident that I could use a Type R as a daily driver, is my ability to put smaller (yes, smaller) wheels on it with larger sidewall all-season or even winter tires on it. I wonder how on earth we'll find out of there's anything at all that would work for that.
Sponsored

mamba907

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Civic Si
how likely do you think a 29,900 base CTR is?
US 2017 will be touring trim only. Early rumors of multiples for 2018 which appears to be nearly identical to the 17 only higher production which in turn leads to the variations. I'm super stoked for my 17 not only for the incredible machine but the limited production and individuality #'d will make them highly sought after for years to come, great investment.

Boba Debt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Long Bed, 2017 WRX STi
Country flag
US 2017 will be touring trim only. Early rumors of multiples for 2018 which appears to be nearly identical to the 17 only higher production which in turn leads to the variations. I'm super stoked for my 17 not only for the incredible machine but the limited production and individuality #'d will make them highly sought after for years to come, great investment.
That's funny.

I bet 2017s blue book at 25K by the end of 2018

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Country flag
Based on all these reviews, it looks like Honda has rounded all the bases with this car and maybe even hit it out of the park. The main FWD bugaboos - torque steer, understeer washout - have been dealt with effectively.

From all accounts it handles brilliantly on track and off. The car has a usability range from DD to track weapon that the FoRS can't match. It has a better power to weight ratio than anything in its class but the ~350 lb heavier FoRS (the straight line performance of which has been pretty disappointing). It has a great shifter paired with a top-notch rev-matching system. Comfortable but very supportive seats. A tractable engine that still has a nice top end. Great visibility, good NVH control. It's cheaper than its main rivals.

Setting aside the subjective question of the styling, what's not to like here? Maybe the steering could be a bit more feelsome, and it would be nice to have a more vigourous exhaust note at full bore, but these are relatively minor complaints, and the latter can be handled by the aftermarket.

typerfanboy282

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagen Jetta Mark VI
Based on all these reviews, it looks like Honda has rounded all the bases with this car and maybe even hit it out of the park. The main FWD bugaboos - torque steer, understeer washout - have been dealt with effectively.

From all accounts it handles brilliantly on track and off. The car has a usability range from DD to track weapon that the FoRS can't match. It has a better power to weight ratio than anything in its class but the ~350 lb heavier FoRS (the straight line performance of which has been pretty disappointing). It has a great shifter paired with a top-notch rev-matching system. Comfortable but very supportive seats. A tractable engine that still has a nice top end. Great visibility, good NVH control. It's cheaper than its main rivals.

Setting aside the subjective question of the styling, what's not to like here? Maybe the steering could be a bit more feelsome, and it would be nice to have a more vigourous exhaust note at full bore, but these are relatively minor complaints, and the latter can be handled by the aftermarket.
Does anyone know if the steering wheel feels as good as the Ford Focus Rs wheel?

Phantisy

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.primalsynthetics.com
Vehicle(s)
'13 Honda Fit Sport, 17 Honda CTR
Country flag
The only stop-gap from making me confident that I could use a Type R as a daily driver, is my ability to put smaller (yes, smaller) wheels on it with larger sidewall all-season or even winter tires on it. I wonder how on earth we'll find out of there's anything at all that would work for that.
You can put 18's on the car.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
Does anyone know if the steering wheel feels as good as the Ford Focus Rs wheel?
from everything so far, there is not much of a feel. Also the dual axis set up actually mutes even more feel for eliminating torquesteer. Focus RS is up there with porsche electric systems in feel.

TTRPGGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord LX
All the reviews are saying that this is such a great car and how the SI is just trash...except for hondaproJason offcourse.
Weird. I'm pretty sure I've read all the SI reviews and none of em have called it trash. Granted, there's some expressing disappointment at the 205 horsepower, turbo, and lack of vtec, and perhaps besides HOndaProJason there haven't been any "Oh my god this is the greatest thing to happen on four wheels since the internal combustion engine" reviews, but the general consensus of the SI reviews is that its a high quality sporty fun daily driver. Perhaps that's not what the SI should be in some minds, but that's certainly not trash.

Ah well - enjoy your R type when ya get it. Looks like a great car.

Last edited: