NeoDiNardo

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Red Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I totally agree with that video review above that the CTR is about performance mixed with practicality and fun vs sheer numbers. And then I eye those stock seats and wheels that I’m spending thousands to downgrade to normal daily driver comfort levels. At least I don’t have to upgrade the engine :)

ixdime

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
Country flag
I love Throttle House!! Glad to see they were enjoying the car

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
The 286hp Golf GTI TCR isn't coming to the USA; 'TCR' is a model variant, not a car built for TCR; and Autocar used the presenter who doesn't like Civics as much as he likes Golfs; but:

FK8: Lap time46.6 sec; Top speed (on course) 106mph; Bottom speed (fastest corner) 56.8 mph.
GTI TCR: 48.6 sec. 104mph 54.8mph

Not really worth watching, but good for trolling your GTI buddies.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The 286hp Golf GTI TCR isn't coming to the USA; 'TCR' is a model variant, not a car built for TCR; and Autocar used the presenter who doesn't like Civics as much as he likes Golfs; but:

FK8: Lap time46.6 sec; Top speed (on course) 106mph; Bottom speed (fastest corner) 56.8 mph.
GTI TCR: 48.6 sec. 104mph 54.8mph

Not really worth watching, but good for trolling your GTI buddies.

They also just picked about the worst spec car with sunroof, without Performance pack or optional Cup 2s....

I'd actually be curious to see a head 2 head comparison between the old Clubsport S vs a Type R...

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
They also just picked about the worst spec car with sunroof, without Performance pack or optional Cup 2s....

I'd actually be curious to see a head 2 head comparison between the old Clubsport S vs a Type R...
... and the GTI owners come out, LoL. ;-)

You are right though, the GTI should have been better spec'd. I'd guess that the lap times would have been close.

The thing that I don't like about the Clubsport S was that very few were made - 150 for the UK, 250 for everyone else IIRC. Anyone can buy a Type R - although nobody can buy the Type R as it ran at Nurburgring. Even though limited, I think that the production Clubsport S could beat a production Type R on quite a few circuits. I know that I would take a Clubsport S over a Type R ... although what I would really want is the RS3 motor in a GTI.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
lol, I think TCR is kind of a dumb car, they should have made it as good as the Clubsport S was, instead its just sort of a slightly hotter edition whatever they get in EU.

I really like Clubsport S, but being sort of a limited special is really not good for anyone. Type R is something you can just walk to the dealer and buy(um, mostly, I guess as long as its not in US).

driv300mph

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Grey CTR (#22412 of ???), 2011 Lotus Exige S260 (#19 of 30)
Country flag
... and the GTI owners come out, LoL. ;-)

You are right though, the GTI should have been better spec'd. I'd guess that the lap times would have been close.

The thing that I don't like about the Clubsport S was that very few were made - 150 for the UK, 250 for everyone else IIRC. Anyone can buy a Type R - although nobody can buy the Type R as it ran at Nurburgring. Even though limited, I think that the production Clubsport S could beat a production Type R on quite a few circuits. I know that I would take a Clubsport S over a Type R ... although what I would really want is the RS3 motor in a GTI.
What do you mean "as it ran at Nurburgring"? Was there a spec difference compared to production?

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
What do you mean "as it ran at Nurburgring"? Was there a spec difference compared to production?
Yes. This has been discussed to death in other threads.

To get back on topic, two 2019 CTR vs. Veloster N comparisons.

The Straight Pipes!

Redline Review:TypeR @ MSRP; Velo if the TypeR has ADM.
Sponsored

Last edited: