baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Clarkson's review is up, ETA: https://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews/clarkson/clarkson-review-2017-honda-civic-type-r/ (NLA: but it's behind a paywall right now: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/magazine...clarkson-review-honda-civic-type-r-97h2wbr5g#)

Basically, he covers the same content/point-of-view as Chris Harris' video review at TopGear.com , except in less detail.

Eventually it will be available for free. In the meantime, some quotes:

The 2-litre turbocharged engine is said to be largely unchanged from the previous model but whatever small alterations Honda has made have transformed it into a big, comforting muscle. You find yourself pressing the throttle gently just to experience the beginning of a shove. It’s like limbering up for an arm-wrestle with a man who builds oil rigs. You haven’t felt the power yet, but you know pretty soon you’re going to have a dislocated shoulder.

However, it’s not the shove or the speed that impresses most with the Type R. It’s the chassis. There’s a wider track than on the last incarnation and a stiffer superstructure. And that sounds as if you’re in for more grip, if you can tolerate the bone-shaking ride. Nope. What you get is phenomenal grip and a ride that’s actually quite absorbent. It’s not a Labrador puppy, obviously, but it won’t shake out your fillings either.

This is a wonderful car to drive hard. Yes, it’s a bit of a fatty but you’re never really aware of the weight because it changes direction like an electrocuted swallow. Couple that to the 315 rampaging horsepowers, the 295 torques and the bark from a weird triple exhaust system and there’s no doubt Honda is back with a car that’s extremely good fun.
And I also hate the Type R because just look at it. Have you ever seen anything so wilfully yobbish? We’re told all its winglets and spoilers are there for a reason and I think I know what the reason is: to tell your neighbours you are very fond of football violence and shoplifting. And you have a knife.

I know a guardsman who is thinking of getting a Type R and I just know that if he does, he will wear his bearskin back to front.

I was embarrassed to drive it. Yes, a number of people pointed, made enthusiastic noises and took photographs, but a far larger number pointed for different reasons. You could see them thinking: “How small does your penis have to be before you’d buy a car like that?”

There’s a similar problem of course with the Ford Focus RS and Mercedes-AMG A 45. Neither is as in yer face as the Honda but they both wear their street-fighting credentials on the outside. Maybe this doesn’t bother you. Maybe you quite like to stir things up. But if you don’t, buy a VW Golf R. It’s not as much fun as the Honda and it isn’t as fast at top speed. But you will look less of a knob.

Last edited:

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Country flag
^ Clarkson's understandably sensitive about driving a car that attracts attention - he doesn't want to be on show every time he's out on the road. Despite being able to afford any car he wants (his net worth must run to 100 million by now), his daily is a Golf GTI for just this reason.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
Clarkson's pretty spot-on about the driving experience vs looks from a grown adult perspective. I thankfully don't get any looks or comments (being in Texas most don't even know what it is) and my coworkers seem to think it's cool.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Country flag
That's a bit of a surprise. When you look at some of the other contenders - Ford GT, AMG GT, Lambo, McLaren - that is one very impressive achievement, even allowing for some possible pro-British bias on the part of the review team (the made in Swindon bit).

Last edited:

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag

Mike R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW Golf R. 2017 Nissan Micra.
Country flag
Not exactly a review but an interesting video of the TypeR chasing down Porsches and several more!

Mike R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW Golf R. 2017 Nissan Micra.
Country flag
A review from New Zealand

Scott SiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #232, 2003 Accord 6-6, 2010 Accord 6-6
Vehicle Showcase
A good review from Motor Trend / ignition

When you can impress a 4 time IndyCar champ, you must be doing good!