2017 Civic Touring Coupe, Automatic CVT, Shifting into neutral, bang.

1981CBX

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Touring Coupe (owned) 2018 Accord base model (leased) 1981 Honda CBX motorcycle
Country flag
Why isn’t there a lock out?
Sponsored

alias Igme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo 156, Honda Civic (1.5t hatchback)
Country flag
I'm confused on what we are looking here, but the whole thread (title, OP question, and specially civicls' reply) made my day :)

I'm guessing from the title that the OP in a CVT accidentally shifted to Neutral (from Drive perhaps) and encountered an issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
1981CBX

1981CBX

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Touring Coupe (owned) 2018 Accord base model (leased) 1981 Honda CBX motorcycle
Country flag
I'm confused on what we are looking here, but the whole thread (title, OP question, and specially civicls' reply) made my day :)

I'm guessing from the title that the OP in a CVT accidentally shifted to Neutral (from Drive perhaps) and encountered an issue.
Regardless, such a thing did not knock the tip off the spark plug which caused an engine failure in my 2017 civic touring coupe.
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Touring Coupe, Automatic CVT, Shifting into neutral, bang. 80FE812D-CDF3-4A00-A78D-8737AF633E6F

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yet another cryptic thread about your car failing with zero details provided ??

Were you tuned? How long if so? Driving style? Fuel? What exactly were you doing when it failed? Shifting into N from D wouldn't do what you're claiming it did. Were you 2 stepping or bouncing from the rev limiter in neutral? Or throttle to the floor when dropping into neutral?

You're either a troll or being intentionally dishonest.

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yet another cryptic thread about your car failing with zero details provided ??

Were you tuned? How long if so? Driving style? Fuel? What exactly were you doing when it failed? Shifting into N from D wouldn't do what you're claiming it did. Were you 2 stepping or bouncing from the rev limiter in neutral? Or throttle to the floor when dropping into neutral?

You're either a troll or being intentionally dishonest.
i dont think you can 2step on a cvt but it does seem like an over rev condition while car is in motion.

yes no details not good then why bother making a post ? heh

OhMyItsKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've accidentally shifted into N while driving about. No issues for me. OP you might want to begin your threads with some more details. At this point it just feels like you're just trying to raise your post count.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Kev,

Keep in mind the OP started this weird/vague thread two years ago. Then he goes two years without so much as a new post or topic. He reappears the other day to post a new thread with pics of his blown motor with not even a word explaining what happened or lead up to the failure.

Now he shows a picture of that f'd up spark plug. Trust me, that doesn't happen in a car that's driven normally or well maintained.

This has neglect or abuse written all over it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
1981CBX

1981CBX

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Now he shows a picture of that f'd up spark plug. Trust me, that doesn't happen in a car that's driven normally or well maintained.

This has neglect or abuse written all over it.
Yea, I used to take my spark plugs out daily, put them in a paint can with a bunch of ball bearings and spare parts, put the lid on it and take it over to Home Depot, have them shake it up on their paint can stirring machine. Just seemed like the thing to do, seeing as us civic drivers are a bunch of movers and shakers.

OP
OP
1981CBX

1981CBX

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i dont think you can 2step on a cvt but it does seem like an over rev condition while car is in motion.

yes no details not good then why bother making a post ? heh
if one likes to downshift for the slight amount of engine braking one gets out of the 1.5 L, there exists the risk of sliding back up and going past drive into neutral without any gate to keep one from accidentally going into it. Seems counterintuitive. The only time I want to go from reverse to forward without a gate is when I’m stuck in a ditch.
Sponsored