2017 Civic Si press drives in May. Reviews come June 6.

joe007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra
Country flag
If they can push the boost to 18+ PSI with upgraded engine internals, add sport seats, exhaust from the sport hatchback, stiffer + lower suspension, lighter wheels, keyless start, a tasteful body kit, GOOD LED headlights (not the existing crap Civic ones) and keep the curb weight at 27xx then yeah, I think it's worth $25,000+.
Sponsored

SoichiroSan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI Sport, '17 Si coupe
We're you the guy who inflated VW mpg's ??? HAHAHA.. Did you fix the VW from blowing black smoke cold start? Back in 2003 I considered a new VW but every single one blew black smoke then I left and bought a Honda.. :)

With all due respect, "Honda Pro", it's not 2003 anymore. It's 2017 and the GTI is widely regarded as the best all-around sport compact on the market. I actually broke down and bought one while waiting all these months for Honda to release the new Civic Si. Still no Si in sight, and I'm enjoying my 258 lb-ft of torque, lighting package, Performance package, and blowing by 90s-era Civic coupes with fart can mufflers.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Where are you people coming up with this stuff? How is it delayed? What is drawn out?

Honda showed the Si prototype November 2016. They said it would go on sale Spring 2017.

It's going to go on sale Spring 2017. Nothing has changed. Nothing is delayed. It has nothing to do with the CTR. It is not drawn out. It is on a schedule, as all corporate products are.

If the issue is that people are excited for the Si and check the forum 30 times a day for the past 4 months in hopes of some new info having sneaked out, and that makes it feel like an eternity to them, or that Honda is teasing or torturing them... that's on those individuals and has nothing to do with Honda.
I would consider it slightly delayed. The original schedule was to release all trims within 18 months from October 2015. By the looks of things, it will probably end up being 2-3 months behind schedule.

1.5CivicEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
With all due respect, "Honda Pro", it's not 2003 anymore. It's 2017 and the GTI is widely regarded as the best all-around sport compact on the market. I actually broke down and bought one while waiting all these months for Honda to release the new Civic Si. Still no Si in sight, and I'm enjoying my 258 lb-ft of torque, lighting package, Performance package, and blowing by 90s-era Civic coupes with fart can mufflers.
Tough to argue with this review: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-volkswagen-golf-gti-tested-review

Jessegovols

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda CRV EXL, 2004 Acura TSX Manual Previous: 92 Mazda MX6 GT, 93 Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4, 99 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
The GTI is a truly excellent car and gets just about everything right. It's performance and practicality simply can't be beat. My only concern with them is long term ownership costs related to reliability after 60,000 miles much like Audi and BMW.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
Hey Everyone, I'm new to this forum, having just discovered it while searching for info on the '17 SI. I am surprised by some of the Honda bashing I have read on this post, and I think some of you guys need to look at it from a slightly different perspective. Here's my two cents:

If any of you think that the Civic Type R will be selling for sticker price, I think you might be in for a huge surprise. Case, in point, does anyone remember the Mugen SI? I remember it was going for much more than sticker price because of the demand for the car. I think the sticker on one I saw back in '08 was 28k or thereabouts, and the dealer was getting 30-32k for it. What is going to happen is Honda is going to severely limit production of CTR, which will raise the price of the cars, and drive SI sales. I think the CTR, because of inflation (limited availability, high demand) will go for 38-42k. I may be wrong, but just my thoughts.

Also, I think a lot of people don't realize that the CTR is a RACE CAR, for all intents and purposes. I don't think it makes the best daily driver, although it would be extremely exciting. Much like the vaunted Hemi's from Mopar in the 60's, while they were great motors, they sucked on the street and nobody really wanted them, because they were basically race motors (the solid lifter cams needed a lot of adjustment, and maintenance for example). I think the CTR is analogous to any factory race car.

Also, this car, as far as I can tell, will most likely appreciate in value, and I know if I were to buy one, I would limit the wear and tear and mileage on it, so as to keep maximum value.

Finally, I like to keep in mind what makes a great car, truly great. Its a combination of many things, clearly. To me, however, what makes a great car is performance, design, functionality, fun to drive, components, etc. This is where Honda excels beyond VW, Ford, and the others, in my opinion. While the others may have more torque and power over the SI, they lack in other areas, that the SI more than makes up for. I can have kids, and still have a fun, economical, stylish, and good performing car in the SI, which I don't think I could in the Golf. The Focus ST, well, that's a very cool car, but I'm partial to Honda in their reliability factor. As far as the GTI is concerned, I hear they're great cars, but I wouldn't buy one (no offense to anyone, please). I don't trust VW's because they're over-engineered. They have their fans though, so they are doing something right, just not for me.

I just think the SI is appealing to everyone who wants a fun, performance oriented car, without spending big bucks, and that is what Honda accomplishes with their cars, hence why you see so many of them on the road. The Japanese are every bit the engineers that the Germans are, in my opinion, because they too value form and function, but the beauty is in the simplicity of their designs. Honda has that something extra, that other manufacturers strive for, but often fall short.

I bought my 08 SI brand new, knowing nothing about the car, and having been a fan of American vehicles. My SI was the best car I have ever owned, and became an extension of me, I think. I put 225k on that car, and still had the original clutch, and all the original belts. IT NEVER LET ME DOWN. Several weeks ago, I [mistakenly] purchased a truck, as I am building a house etc. After driving the truck for less than a month, I am getting rid of it as soon as I can for a new SI. It doesn't matter to me the HP, torque, or much else, because I know I am getting the all-around best car for my money, that will last be years and years, and still be fun to drive. I never got sick of that car, and I regret not having it.

Cheers.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You could have saved yourself $5,000 and bought a Civic manual EXT 1.5T for ~ $19500. Sure your VW Gti is highly reguarded.. But I would rather own and drive the 2016 Car of the year. ;)

Aero2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Country flag
The GTI is a truly excellent car and gets just about everything right. It's performance and practicality simply can't be beat. My only concern with them is long term ownership costs related to reliability after 60,000 miles much like Audi and BMW.
Same here, though it's also about little things going wrong at any time. While long ago, my experience with a 1995 Jetta GLX VR6 is difficult to shake. When we bought it, some VW-owning friends laughed, and said we'd love it until about 50,000 miles. That was about right. All sorts of stuff went wrong, and repairs were sometimes absurdly expensive. For example, a bulb in the gauge panel went out, which required replacement of the entire "bezel" for $400 (in 2000 dollars). By 100k miles, it was losing structural integrity, so the door seals would open going over bumps. To be fair, the frame took extra abuse courtesy of aftermarket suspensions, but a VW should have been able to handle that.

In contrast, I've had my 2010 TSX for 7.5 years and 106k miles, and other than normal wear, the AC needed to be recharged and a tiny trim piece rattled until fixed. Nearly perfect. It drives like new, and is tight as a drum. It feels like it will go another 100k easily.

German and American cars rarely provide this type of experience, but at least American cars are less expensive to fix, and you can get them repaired anywhere in the country. (When my old SAAB's fuel injection system blew up in rural Southern Illinois, I learned about this issue, big time.) That's why I'd probably take a Focus ST over a GTI, even though the GTI is probably better in many ways.

But I'll gladly give up a little power for Honda reliability, which is why I'd probably take an Si over a Focus ST -- but of course I'd need to drive the Si first. The FoST is a fantastic car IMO, and a real bargain too.

HMan

AB 1.5T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe EXT
Same here, though it's also about little things going wrong at any time. While long ago, my experience with a 1995 Jetta GLX VR6 is difficult to shake. When we bought it, some VW-owning friends laughed, and said we'd love it until about 50,000 miles. That was about right. All sorts of stuff went wrong, and repairs were sometimes absurdly expensive. For example, a bulb in the gauge panel went out, which required replacement of the entire "bezel" for $400 (in 2000 dollars). By 100k miles, it was losing structural integrity, so the door seals would open going over bumps. To be fair, the frame took extra abuse courtesy of aftermarket suspensions, but a VW should have been able to handle that.

In contrast, I've had my 2010 TSX for 7.5 years and 106k miles, and other than normal wear, the AC needed to be recharged and a tiny trim piece rattled until fixed. Nearly perfect. It drives like new, and is tight as a drum. It feels like it will go another 100k easily.

German and American cars rarely provide this type of experience, but at least American cars are less expensive to fix, and you can get them repaired anywhere in the country. (When my old SAAB's fuel injection system blew up in rural Southern Illinois, I learned about this issue, big time.) That's why I'd probably take a Focus ST over a GTI, even though the GTI is probably better in many ways.

But I'll gladly give up a little power for Honda reliability, which is why I'd probably take an Si over a Focus ST -- but of course I'd need to drive the Si first. The FoST is a fantastic car IMO, and a real bargain too.
All this talk on Vdubs and Ford. True they are in the market. I've owned many VW cars and loved them... Half a dozen , all fun to drive , all riddled with expensive problems (and parts and this is sourcing parts and doing the work myself). The golf is a decent car before it is made to be a gti. The focus is a pos (which goes for 32k *similarly equipped I just built one, their site includes a bunch of fake rebates returning lease future lease return bla blah) . I wasn't impressed with a focus that was brand new ( rental I had for a week) my point is if a car company builds a shoddy soulless car before it piles 10k worth of parts in it to make it better , does that make it a better car, not in my book. Still polishing a turd. I know the car and driver says, road and track says... Just a feeling and experience that if a car company feels its ok to put out a 20k car like that, I really don't care what the reviews say.
The Si and the CTR will both be a blast. They are starting on a solid, lighter platform. You get what you pay for.

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
All this talk on Vdubs and Ford. True they are in the market. I've owned many VW cars and loved them... Half a dozen , all fun to drive , all riddled with expensive problems (and parts and this is sourcing parts and doing the work myself). The golf is a decent car before it is made to be a gti. The focus is a pos (which goes for 32k *similarly equipped I just built one, their site includes a bunch of fake rebates returning lease future lease return bla blah) . I wasn't impressed with a focus that was brand new ( rental I had for a week) my point is if a car company builds a shoddy soulless car before it piles 10k worth of parts in it to make it better , does that make it a better car, not in my book. Still polishing a turd. I know the car and driver says, road and track says... Just a feeling and experience that if a car company feels its ok to put out a 20k car like that, I really don't care what the reviews say.
The Si and the CTR will both be a blast. They are starting on a solid, lighter platform. You get what you pay for.
Completely disagree with you, you can find base Focus STs for under 25k before rebates.

I had the ST3 package on mine which came with all the bells and whistles and was under 30k before taxes. stage 1 tuned with a Cobb access port and this car will smoke lots of vehicles twice it's price.

Just because you drove a rental Focus don't try to knock a FoST until you have driven one same for the GTI.

I highly recommend driving both the 2017 Civic Si and 2017 Ford Focus ST back to back and then decide.

The only way i see Honda beating the ST in terms of overall package is if they undercut the price of the ST by 3-4k.

I have no Brand loyalty and this will be my first Honda as i plan on getting the CTR.

It seems most people are just frustrated with Honda's slow release and lack of information regarding their future products, as well as the decision to not put the 2.0 engine in the Si, pretty sure some loyalist will be committing Seppuku after hearing that news.

Cheers

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
You could have saved yourself $5,000 and bought a Civic manual EXT 1.5T for ~ $19500. Sure your VW Gti is highly reguarded.. But I would rather own and drive the 2016 Car of the year. ;)

Wouldn't you rather drive the 2017 GTI won a bunch of accolades and awards. If I wasn't getting the CTR i would definitely scoop up a 2017 GTI with the sport package.

Good to see all this competition in the Hot Hatch market

Inertiaman70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Mazda 3 i Touring Hatchback
Country flag
Wouldn't you rather drive the 2017 GTI won a bunch of accolades and awards. If I wasn't getting the CTR i would definitely scoop up a 2017 GTI with the sport package.

Good to see all this competition in the Hot Hatch market
Yeah, the GTI won Car of the Year in 2015, when it was new. Plus numerous appearances on C&Ds 10 best list, etc., etc.

I get that some prefer Honda, and I am waiting to see and drive the new Si, but it's going to have to be awfully good to sway me away from buying a GTI, even if I have to spend the extra $$.

joe007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra
Country flag
Yeah, I bet the VW is great, until you have to force-patch your ECU to pass smog, because they lied / cheated to pass regulations. They are crooks and I will never buy any of their products.