2017 Civic Si or CR-V Turbine wheel in TD03 turbo swap for Turbo EX-T?

SlowRideL15B

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Si
Turns out the Civic Si puts out around 25 more hp than the EX-T. Evidently they used a larger 9 blade turbine wheel. How can I get a hold of one of these? I saw a BMW N54 TD03 turbine wheel that looks comparable. Just want to figure out how to exact the science before I buy stuff and tear things apart. Is there any other MHI turbos that fit the bolt pattern of the 2016+ civics? I wonder if an old 14B would fit on there? Or is there a cartridge compressor and turbine wheel swap that I can throw in there to increase more power?
Sponsored

Reactions: Myx

drtye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FA5 FK8
Country flag
Turns out the Civic Si puts out around 25 more hp than the EX-T. Evidently they used a larger 9 blade turbine wheel. How can I get a hold of one of these? I saw a BMW N54 TD03 turbine wheel that looks comparable. Just want to figure out how to exact the science before I buy stuff and tear things apart. Is there any other MHI turbos that fit the bolt pattern of the 2016+ civics? I wonder if an old 14B would fit on there? Or is there a cartridge compressor and turbine wheel swap that I can throw in there to increase more power?
This is a great question.
Are the specs on the factory turbo floating around somewhere? P/N for the turbos would be helpfull as well. Going to start digging...

OK,

ex turbo #'s
oem P/N 18900-5AA-A01
mhi P/N 49373-07011

si turbo #'s
oem P/N 18900-5PA-A01
mhi P/N 49373-07100

Stock Civic Turbo:
  • Compressor Wheel - Split 6 Blade with 39.1mm Inducer and 46.0mm Exducer
  • Turbine Wheel - 11 Blade with 37.1mm Inducer and 32.3mm Exducer
CRV/Si Turbo:
  • Compressor Wheel - Same Exact Specs as the Civic's
  • Turbine Wheel - 9 blade with 37.1mm Inducer and 33.3mm Exducer
The CRV/Si's 1mm larger, 9 blade turbine wheel explains why the CR-V (and most-likely the Si) are rated about 20 hp/tq higher. All flanges, flange locations etc are identical, so yes our downpipe assembly will work.

taken from http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-OEM-Honda-Civic-1-5T-Si-CR-V-Turbocharger-Upgrade-Kit-/172743939777

so it looks like the turbos are a direct swap.

Last edited:
OP
OP

SlowRideL15B

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Si
This is a great question.
Are the specs on the factory turbo floating around somewhere? P/N for the turbos would be helpfull as well. Going to start digging...

OK,

ex turbo #'s
oem P/N 18900-5AA-A01
mhi P/N 49373-07011

si turbo #'s
oem P/N 18900-5PA-A01
mhi P/N 49373-07100

Stock Civic Turbo:
  • Compressor Wheel - Split 6 Blade with 39.1mm Inducer and 46.0mm Exducer
  • Turbine Wheel - 11 Blade with 37.1mm Inducer and 32.3mm Exducer
CRV/Si Turbo:
  • Compressor Wheel - Same Exact Specs as the Civic's
  • Turbine Wheel - 9 blade with 37.1mm Inducer and 33.3mm Exducer
The CRV/Si's 1mm larger, 9 blade turbine wheel explains why the CR-V (and most-likely the Si) are rated about 20 hp/tq higher. All flanges, flange locations etc are identical, so yes our downpipe assembly will work.

taken from http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-OEM-Honda-Civic-1-5T-Si-CR-V-Turbocharger-Upgrade-Kit-/172743939777

so it looks like the turbos are a direct swap.
Awesome information, thank you. So, doesn't it make sense that someone should have the turbine wheel for sale somewhere?

drtye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FA5 FK8
Country flag
No, just buy a crv/si turbo assembly, no reason to disassemble it. Not unless there are aftermarket wheels available then you might be able to buy one, but I haven't found any out there yet.

I feel that once this is more common knowledge somebody might make a center section upgrade or even send the turbo out to get bigger wheels in, like you can get 20g wheels in a 18g housing kind of thing.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If they are swapped, would you need to have anything done to the ECU?

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The part is basically a direct swap but I don't think anyone has done it yet. The truth of the matter is the power difference is not really worth the expense. I think what most of us are doing that are looking for power are Ktuner/Hondata + downpipe and waiting for a more significant turbo upgrade option.

drtye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FA5 FK8
Country flag
I would imagine that nothing 'technically' would be needed in terms of tuning, however it will make boost better (easier) in the higher rpm range. (strictly speaking from flow potential, not taking into account turbine wheel aerodynamics)

If you are not ever planning on tuning the car, gains would be marginal, if any. This turbo with a tune would net maybe not higher power levels but could result in lower IAT's I would imagine.

This turbo with custom wheels (larger, billet ect) put into it could easily net higher power levels (with more boost) at or below stock IAT'S.
If I had an si or ex and wanted to actually make more power (and had supporting mods to do so) I would send the stock turbo out to have larger wheels put into it. This is nothing new and any company worth their salt in this niche market could easily do this for you. I personally would steer clear of doing it myself on account of not having a lathe to cut the housings or the expensive balancing machine needed to properly balance the center section.

OP
OP

SlowRideL15B

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Si
No, just buy a crv/si turbo assembly, no reason to disassemble it. Not unless there are aftermarket wheels available then you might be able to buy one, but I haven't found any out there yet.

I feel that once this is more common knowledge somebody might make a center section upgrade or even send the turbo out to get bigger wheels in, like you can get 20g wheels in a 18g housing kind of thing.
That is exactly what I am talking about... I don't want to take this thing too far but definitely want to get closer to 300 whp.

OP
OP

SlowRideL15B

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Si
I would imagine that nothing 'technically' would be needed in terms of tuning, however it will make boost better (easier) in the higher rpm range. (strictly speaking from flow potential, not taking into account turbine wheel aerodynamics)

If you are not ever planning on tuning the car, gains would be marginal, if any. This turbo with a tune would net maybe not higher power levels but could result in lower IAT's I would imagine.

This turbo with custom wheels (larger, billet ect) put into it could easily net higher power levels (with more boost) at or below stock IAT'S.
If I had an si or ex and wanted to actually make more power (and had supporting mods to do so) I would send the stock turbo out to have larger wheels put into it. This is nothing new and any company worth their salt in this niche market could easily do this for you. I personally would steer clear of doing it myself on account of not having a lathe to cut the housings or the expensive balancing machine needed to properly balance the center section.
Where are the two intake air temp sensors. I am guessing one is right behind the air filter, wherre is the second one? I would guess after ithe intercooler?

highroller

First Name
U Hash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo
Country flag
how much stock civic si turbo would cost? is it TD03 or TD04?

would be really interested to know anyone who upgraded their civic to si turbo.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
how much stock civic si turbo would cost? is it TD03 or TD04?

would be really interested to know anyone who upgraded their civic to si turbo.
Cost new probably around $1000 and used $400-$500 and it’s TD025 lol smaller than TD03 and run a little better
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Si or CR-V Turbine wheel in TD03 turbo swap for Turbo EX-T? 0E7CBD57-6ED5-47E4-BB7F-22DDB0FFDB97

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
This is the wrong forum to post this question. You will get more appropriate answers of the ext or si forums.
Sponsored