2017 Civic Si Instrumented Test Results (0-60, 1/4 Mile) [Car and Driver]

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I am having the exact same thoughts and comparing both these cars right now. I haven't driven the Si but I did have a '15 WRX for almost two years... so I find it interesting that u say it felt less punchy. In my case, I plan to drive this much more and keep it longer than the Subie, so the Honda MPG numbers might be the deciding factor.....
The bigger twin scroll on the WRX takes longer to spool, with torque peaking at ~3.8K RPMs. Both the EX-T and Si have noticeably better throttle response in the lower RPMs.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Si Instrumented Test Results (0-60, 1/4 Mile) [Car and Driver] 546b31b23eedb_-_lagtorturetest-nxodrg-lg.jpeg?crop=1xw:1

Also, I get the reference above. In this category, specs matter to budget enthusiasts. Handling and engagement are much more difficult to quantify. Acceleration times are not. The Si's key selling points are similar to the GTI. It doesn't do anything best; but does everything reasonably well. The difference obviously is that VW's 2.0 offers more headroom.

This goes back to the original point made. The optics make this car difficult to sell at face value. And getting prospective buyers on the lot will become much harder as the "new model" honeymoon period ends.

CN: The car will sell just fine. But expect dealer pricing to drop soon.

Last edited:

Rikdrt1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, Honda Civic
Country flag
I expected better mileage than the 24 I was getting in my WRX but this is ridiculous :) 19532737_10158809739945543_432561069_o.jpg

My 2011 Limited with the SPT Cat-back. Si actually feels much more solid despite costing 7K less.
74144_10152426756445543_601246924_n.jpg

Yeah, this is nuts. I love the WRX but I wish the next generation was here and look at those MPG readings. Basically better MPG than the FRS with more power, turbo and seating for 5. DANG.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
The full article on the 2017 Civic Si instrumented test from the August 2017 issue is now available on Car and Driver's website.

There are a few doses of reality throughout and later in the article, but overall it gushes high praise for the Si.

"Now, not long after the spot in the old Si where the high-rpm cam lobes would engage and your spine started to tingle, this new Si gives you three quick flashes of the shift lights and smacks you in the face with the fuel cutoff. So long and farewell, VTEC-shrieking Civic Si. But how’s this new reality? Damn good. The Si has always been an adept handler, and this generation, available as a coupe or a sedan, is the best ever."

http://www.caranddriver.com/honda/civic-si

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I have been researching cost of ownership on this car and it's astonishingly low. Things like brake pads, interior wear bits, cv boots, hoses, clutch, flywheel, etc... all less than half to a third of the cost of the ST, GTI and WRX.

As expected, the only expensive wear items I found were the shocks, struts and top mounts. Replacing all four corners - even at wholesale prices - easily exceeds $1500.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Good review from Motor1. He tends to focus more about the car's all-around appeal & utility rather than simply performance. Which is something I've been trying to explain to others who may not understand the Si's niche in this segment.

A good watch if you have a few minutes:

grumpyguy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good review from Motor1. He tends to focus more about the car's all-around appeal & utility rather than simply performance. Which is something I've been trying to explain to others who may not understand the Si's niche in this segment.

A good watch if you have a few minutes:

Nice review! Thanks for posting it!

Archangel

Archangel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R CW #00006
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Based on the 0-X times, it looks like the jump from 0-50 to 0-60 is about half a second higher than the other jumps. Second gear also maxes out at just under 60 mph - I'd imagine that if a tune could get us to 60 mph in 2nd, we might have a shot at 0-60 in 5.9s.
It's Hondata Time!!!!

ronmcdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FiestaST, 19 Si, Camaro Z1LE, EvoX, 98 240sx
Country flag
The Si is a good all around car agreed. If you can and enjoy stick for street driving, I get the impression its a wonderful daily driver.

I admit I was skeptical of the Si and dissapointed with the power figures when it first got released, but I have been really impressed with how well it seems to handle and perform on a track. I think its the best option at its price point for something practical and fast.

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
My 2 cents on the si vs wrx (since I own both a 17 SI coupe and 17 wrx both manual). The wrx gearbox is noticeably less smooth on lower gears and I find the si gearbox much more satisfying. The punchiness though goes to the wrx despite the powerband having flat spots. I'm still breaking in the si but I'm not expecting it to best the wrx in terms of power or punch. I like the appearance of the wrx hands down though but I like the tech of the si (wrx is base). I really like both cars but the si seems more refined and the wrx seems more brutal. They are both great choices in my opinion. My wife ironically prefers the wrx and I prefer the si.

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My 2 cents on the si vs wrx (since I own both a 17 SI coupe and 17 wrx both manual). The wrx gearbox is noticeably less smooth on lower gears and I find the si gearbox much more satisfying. The punchiness though goes to the wrx despite the powerband having flat spots. I'm still breaking in the si but I'm not expecting it to best the wrx in terms of power or punch. I like the appearance of the wrx hands down though but I like the tech of the si (wrx is base). I really like both cars but the si seems more refined and the wrx seems more brutal. They are both great choices in my opinion. My wife ironically prefers the wrx and I prefer the si.
Damn good intel man, was looking at a WRX when i was shopping and everything you just said made me glad i chose the SI.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
No, not as good as the CTR. I'd say the closest competitor in handling would go to the Focus ST. The ST is a bit more neutral at the limits thanks to its trick rear swaybar setup. Something Honda also treated with the Si over the EX-T. Those stiffer rear springs and ARB really allow the chassis to rotate easier during corner entry.

I've also heard that Honda beefed up the jounce bumpers between the shock/strut body and upper mount. Thereby further reducing body roll under heavy cornering. Probably the reason for the front feeling much stiffer than its 7% delta would suggest.

#20 and #15 in the diagrams below:

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Si Instrumented Test Results (0-60, 1/4 Mile) [Car and Driver] upload_2017-9-26_16-34-52

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Si Instrumented Test Results (0-60, 1/4 Mile) [Car and Driver] upload_2017-9-26_16-36-13

ronmcdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FiestaST, 19 Si, Camaro Z1LE, EvoX, 98 240sx
Country flag
I wouldnt be surprised if the amount of grip between that of the ctr and si were fairly close.

However, it seems like one of the things the CTR suspension does most to impress is how well it deals with torque steer.

Side note, its really good to know the Si has higher rear spring rates. Not a bad thing to keep in mind when considering aftermarket suspension options.
Sponsored