First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok so I just wanted to threw this out there as I am sure alot of people have thought to change their lights to led's. This is a general bases of what halogen looks like over led. It also shows the down range difference.

I am a strong belieiver of led lights so i have all mine converted and i think it makes the car that much more brighter and cooler at night.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Led Vs Holgen 20180926_063309

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Led Vs Holgen 20180926_063317

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Led Vs Holgen 20180926_063330

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Led Vs Holgen 20180926_063409

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Led Vs Holgen 20180926_063418

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Led Vs Holgen 20180926_063423

CyberCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Nice comparison. I also did the LED upgrade which is cheaper and brighter than just buying Honda's default LED assemblies. Mine are barely bluer than the stock DRL but significantly brighter. You can't hear the LED fans while in the car while it's on. These come with at least a 2 year warranty too.

Fogs:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07581DB7N/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
Low Beams:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079SRVKJR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
High Beams:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078TTY98S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ninebreaker8

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 JGM Rsx-S (Soon to be sold) 2002 GPW Mugen EP3 (RIP)
Country flag
Most people have found that LEDs seem brighter because their glow is more diffuse directly in front of you but they have less range.
HID's however... no comparison.
I second this. Have seen first hand both LED as well as HID kit (with relay of course) in civic. The LED threw light immediately in front and look great, but the HID allowed farther range and more throw. For reference, The Hid kit used was the morimoto H11 elite kit.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Even putting a "Xenon 10k" Halogen bulb in your lights is going to look like an improvement over OEM halogens because of the color temperature difference. This is why people think the OEM LED lamps on the Touring/CTR are so good. In dry conditions a color temp of 6k is going to seem much brighter than something around 4000-4300k. The true test is when the roads are wet. IMO, absolutely nothing compares to a 5000k HID for wet and dry conditions.

Your comparison shots seem more like a Halogen > LED proof. You can see the throw and brightness of the LED is less than the halogen. For throw, look at the house 2nd floor. The halogen has that lit up nicely, the LED is barely touching it. The halogen being brighter is also very noticeable. The halogen has that porch completely lit up, the LED does not.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Even putting a "Xenon 10k" Halogen bulb in your lights is going to look like an improvement over OEM halogens because of the color temperature difference. This is why people think the OEM LED lamps on the Touring/CTR are so good. In dry conditions a color temp of 6k is going to seem much brighter than something around 4000-4300k. The true test is when the roads are wet. IMO, absolutely nothing compares to a 5000k HID for wet and dry conditions.

Your comparison shots seem more like a Halogen > LED proof. You can see the throw and brightness of the LED is less than the halogen. For throw, look at the house 2nd floor. The halogen has that lit up nicely, the LED is barely touching it. The halogen being brighter is also very noticeable. The halogen has that porch completely lit up, the LED does not.
The tourings are not bad, just switched from a good PNP HID kit 4500k over to OEM touring headlights. They are the only LED upgrade that is worth upgrading to, in the rain though you can definitely tell how much better the HID temperature was and the distance is not as good. My friend has LED bulbs in the oem projectors though and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that it is the worse "upgrade" you can do to your headlights. The only thing you get is the "cool" color.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The tourings are not bad, just switched from a good PNP HID kit 4500k over to OEM touring headlights. They are the only LED upgrade that is worth upgrading to, in the rain though you can definitely tell how much better the HID temperature was and the distance is not as good. My friend has LED bulbs in the oem projectors though and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that it is the worse "upgrade" you can do to your headlights. The only thing you get is the "cool" color.
I bet if you paired the OEM LED lights with a nice set of amber fog lights you'd have the best of both. My WRX has 6k HID low beams and 3k HID fog lights. I love it.
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Led Vs Holgen 2016-03-02 05.15.13

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To get a LED lamp that performs even close to a proper HID lamp+bulb combo you've got to spend around $400 for it. The only LED I've ever seen that comes close is the Morimoto Bi-LED M LED lamps.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bi-led-morimoto-m-led-headlight-projectors.html

We are nearing a time when LED will be better than HID. I would say it's only 2-3 years away. With that being said, LED and HID bulbs that replace halogen bulbs WILL NEVER COMPARE to proper HID/Lamp and LED/Lamp combos.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
rt
To get a LED lamp that performs even close to a proper HID lamp+bulb combo you've got to spend around $400 for it. The only LED I've ever seen that comes close is the Morimoto Bi-LED M LED lamps.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bi-led-morimoto-m-led-headlight-projectors.html

We are nearing a time when LED will be better than HID. I would say it's only 2-3 years away. With that being said, LED and HID bulbs that replace halogen bulbs WILL NEVER COMPARE to proper HID/Lamp and LED/Lamp combos.
That's obvious. Engineering headlights is a little more involved than just exchanging light bulbs and needs to be specific to the light source. If substituting different types of lightbulbs works just OK, it's a success.

I don't just look at "how far" or "how bright." Once it's far and bright enough, HIDs are just a hassle to me, and for this reason they will likely be soon marginalized by LEDs.

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
Country flag
Another huge problem is people running lights not designed for that particular housing and blinding everyone on the road with their low beams. I see it every night (I work till 11pm daily), and I'll see older semi trucks with obviously the wrong head lamps in there that while are brighter, are not designed for it and damn near put me in the ditch when it's raining out and going around a corner with them coming head on at me. It isn't just big rigs...but it's blatantly obvious a 40 year old truck wasn't designed for those bulbs. I am all for better lighting, but not at the expense of other's safety.
I have so much reading to do before I ever upgrade my lights. But I definitely want to upgrade....all it takes is one deer, coon, cougar, etc and my car is a goner. Good info on this thread y'all. Thanks. Following.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Another huge problem is people running lights not designed for that particular housing and blinding everyone on the road with their low beams. I see it every night (I work till 11pm daily), and I'll see older semi trucks with obviously the wrong head lamps in there that while are brighter, are not designed for it and damn near put me in the ditch when it's raining out and going around a corner with them coming head on at me. It isn't just big rigs...but it's blatantly obvious a 40 year old truck wasn't designed for those bulbs. I am all for better lighting, but not at the expense of other's safety.
I have so much reading to do before I ever upgrade my lights. But I definitely want to upgrade....all it takes is one deer, coon, cougar, etc and my car is a goner. Good info on this thread y'all. Thanks. Following.
I legit lol'd at the cougar part.

If anybody has retrofit questions, I created a thread about my retrofit that might have some answers. Feel free to PM me with questions about retrofitting as well.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/fx-r-3-0-retrofit.15997/

OP
OP
deathjam4

deathjam4

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

The biggest issue with leds is the simply fact that you have a large piece that the lamp is in the way off *the stick is attached to*. not a problem for alot of lights but when i tested 2 types i had dark spots with one and not with anouther due to its design. Most head lamps now adays have a shield over the low beam to keep the lights at a particular height. But as you said yes it does make a little more focus on hologen bulbs and this is due to un hindered beam focus and the type of light *3000k vs 6000k*

one thing i do notice is my leds do light the road better at night during damp weathers do to the cooler light focus and less intense beam. The major bonus you get from a led tho is the view degrees is much better as holgens are built to focus the bulb down range. My high beam led i just bought gives me a wider range and the same distance and then some the only reason it seams less bright is due to the more blue tone to it. so the light does not show as bright due to this.
Sponsored

Last edited: