Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I also believe the Si will be coupe and sedan only. The hatch will come as both the regular models and the Type R.
Sponsored

the_phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 320i Sport/6MT
I don't know about other buyers, but I like my 6MT cars to have some luxury features also. 2016 GTI Autobahns with Performance Pack and Lighting Pack (~$34k MSRP) are listed all over Cars.com for ~$27k; that'll be my pick in May when my lease is up unless Honda offers an Si Hatch with leather/HIDs/etc for <$30k. I'd consider a Sport Touring hatchback if they offered it with a 6MT, but the regular Sport trim might be a bit sparse amenities-wise, if the Accord is any indication.

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord Sedan 6-6, 2008 Honda Pilot
Country flag
I think we just got confirmation that we won't be seeing a 5 door Si, but we'll have to see for sure. Once again, Honda teasing and then not delivering.

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think Honda has stated this already. Si will be sedan and coupe while the Type-R is reserved for the hatchback.
Honda never said that the best of my knowledge, but things aren't looking good after the official 5 door PR release they just dropped.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
DavidJBrooks...

No one was expecting an Si hatch. From the beginning it was a given that it would be Coupe and Sedan. We knew the Type R would be the performance version of the hatch. Where do you come up with "Honda teasing and then not delivering"??? :doh:

thaseint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
I think we just got confirmation that we won't be seeing a 5 door Si, but we'll have to see for sure. Once again, Honda teasing and then not delivering.
If you've listened to the debut speeches closely for the Civic you'll see that Honda chose their words very carefully and the Si and hatch have never been mentioned in the same sentence.

The presenter always mentioned the Si after talking about the coupe and sedan body style and then in the next sentence would talk about the hatchback and then the Type R. So it would have been very easy to draw the conclusion that there would be an Si hatch based on the proximity of the Si and hatchback; however Si and hatchback were never actually mentioned together in the same sentence in any of the debuts as far as I know.

It sort of left it up for interpretation; but if you think about it, it wouldn't have made sense to separate Si and hatchback if Honda was planning on releasing a Si hatchback. One presenter during the hatchback concept unveiling even mentioned the Type R being available in the hatchback body style, so why not mention the Si? I think it's pretty clear that there will be no Si hatchback unfortunately. :(

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
DavidJBrooks...

No one was expecting an Si hatch. From the beginning it was a given that it would be Coupe and Sedan. We knew the Type R would be the performance version of the hatch. Where do you come up with "Honda teasing and then not delivering"??? :doh:
Maybe you and a handful of others here didn't expect an Si hatch, but many of us (including some of the journos) thought otherwise.

After all of this palaver about the 5 door being the "sporty" body style and all that, it does come as a shock that the "sporty" variant of the "sporty" body style is likely not going to make it.

And, no, the CTR isn't the "sporty" variant. That's the hard-core-ish racy variant.

But as for the "tease" - that's as much a "look what could have been" as it is a matter of what they promised or didn't promise.

But hey, evidently I read the release speeches wrong. The mules and speeches that I thought were referencing the Si 5 door seem to really be all about the Sport.

Looks pretty disappointing, since we won't even get a Sport Touring with the 6MT.

As for the wording of the releases and speeches - the Si has as of late been a different psuedo-model, much like the CTR. So, technically, we're talking about five different Civics; sedan, coupe, hatch, Si and CTR. It therefore doesn't really tell us much one way or the other based on the order in which they are mentioned or what sentence they are mentioned in, although in retrospect it can become clear that the wording was likely intentional and specific. The one clear bit of info we kept getting is that the CTR will NOT come as a sedan or coupe.

Brett Bynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 honda fit sport
I think the question is really about whether there will be an SI hatch, since they haven't even offered a hatch in forever.
IMHO, I think we will get the hatchback Si, just not right now. That may be a later addition in the model year. Like how the CR-V now has a special edition in its final iteration, and how the sport Accord is now a special edition, in it's final iteration.

optikalillusi0n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Why not??? I think they should add a Sport trim to EVERY Honda vehicle including the Odyssey Minivan!
I wrote this when it was reported by a couple sources that only the LX and Sport were going to be getting manual transmissions. I was frustrated because there were features of the EX that I really wanted and didn't want a stripped down trim without a moonroof option, audio system, and apple carplay/android auto.
Sponsored