2017 Civic Hatch Sport Tire Pressure Light

skrappss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Pathfinder
Country flag
I have just under 1000 miles on my 2017 Hatch Sport (6mt) and got a nail in my tire. I realized that there was an issue when the tire pressure light went on in the dash. I brought it in and thankfully the nail was in the tread so I just had it plugged. I had them make sure all 4 tires were set to what the sticker said in the door. After leaving the shop and driving for a bit, the light never went off in my dash.

Has anyone seen this? Do you think I may have a bad sensor or is there a way to just reset the computer myself?

I used to have a Hyundai and if the light went on, I would fill it with air and it would go off after a few minutes of driving. Just trying to save a trip to the dealer if I can resolve myself.

Thank you.
Sponsored

Last edited:

paid2play

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Honda Hatchback Sport
You don't have a bad sensor. When you drove your civic of the lot, all the tires were over inflated and sensor was set to that setting. When you had your tires all set to correct recommended inflation the sensors read them as under-inflated. Your sensor needs to be reset. I haven't taken my civic in yet so that light has been on for 3 weeks. Just need to find the time to go the dealer.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Hmm not sure how the hatch backs work. But do you guys have the computer screen? Head into settings and vehicle, you should see a tire pressure recalibration button click it.

OP
OP
skrappss

skrappss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Pathfinder
Country flag
You don't have a bad sensor. When you drove your civic of the lot, all the tires were over inflated and sensor was set to that setting. When you had your tires all set to correct recommended inflation the sensors read them as under-inflated. Your sensor needs to be reset. I haven't taken my civic in yet so that light has been on for 3 weeks. Just need to find the time to go the dealer.
That's so funny you say that because the one piece of information I forgot to add was that when the light went on and I stopped to check my tires, all of them were filled to almost 50psi and the one that had the nail was around 20psi. When I went to the tire shop, the guy kindly reminded me that I should be keeping them at the recommended levels on the sticker in the drivers side door.

WTF, is that how they ship them from overseas at the factory and my dealer forgot to reset? Silly question but could have I done any damage by driving on them at 50psi for 1000 miles? I have been checking the pressure almost every time I get in the car so knowing this is a relief.

This is why I love this forum, Thanks again. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
skrappss

skrappss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Pathfinder
Country flag
Hmm not sure how the hatch backs work. But do you guys have the computer screen? Head into settings and vehicle, you should see a tire pressure recalibration button click it.
I will check this later when I get back to my car but the setting menu on the Sport model is very limited (it doesn't have the infotainment system like the sport touring). Thank you for the suggestion.

bmbpenguin

Brian
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport, 2007 Odyssey, 2003 Accord EX-V6
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
WTF, is that how they ship them from overseas at the factory and my dealer forgot to reset? Silly question but could have I done any damage by driving on them at 50psi for 1000 miles? I have been checking the pressure almost every time I get in the car so knowing this is a relief.
There is another thread on here talking about the tire pressure. I think almost all of us went home with 50+ psi in our tires.

Arlington10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic EX-T
We dont have have actual TPMS sensors. Its a calculation. Use the Tire Calibration in the settings if you have a touch screen, and drive. It will go off. When I put 19s on my ride, i had to do the calibration a few times before the light stayed off bc I figured out it take 30 minutes of driving to recalibrate.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Hatch Sport Tire Pressure Light TPMS

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I keep a pressure gauge in my car and always double check after a shop touches the wheels. Learned this from my dad.

In my case, the TPMS light came on during the first drive home from the dealer. I checked the pressures and the right front was underinflated (about 32 psi instead of the recommended 35). We went back the next day to pick up my wife's new CR-V and had them check mine again. They said they recalibrated it and it would be fine.

However, the light came on again. I checked them myself again, and the right front was still at 32 psi; they hadn't added any air. I topped it off (and made sure the other three were still good), started another recalibration cycle, and the TPMS light hasn't come back on since then.

Last edited:

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We dont have have actual TPMS sensors. Its a calculation. Use the Tire Calibration in the settings if you have a touch screen, and drive. It will go off. When I put 19s on my ride, i had to do the calibration a few times before the light stayed off bc I figured out it take 30 minutes of driving to recalibrate.

TPMS.jpg
Since OP does not have the touch screen, he needs to use the button as shown in @Arlington10thgen 's post . I believe it's to the left of the steering wheel.

bmbpenguin

Brian
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport, 2007 Odyssey, 2003 Accord EX-V6
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hold Tire Button that is to the left of the steering wheel till the light goes off. Then drive for 20-30 minutes, preferably at constant speeds. Cruise the interstate for 30 minutes.

OP
OP
skrappss

skrappss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Pathfinder
Country flag
Hold Tire Button that is to the left of the steering wheel till the light goes off. Then drive for 20-30 minutes, preferably at constant speeds. Cruise the interstate for 30 minutes.
I kind of feel silly that I never realized that button was to the left of my steering wheel since I have been driving the car for 1000 miles :doh:. Problem was solved by holding the button until light went off and then drove for a bit. I am assuming that means it is now set to the current/proper tire pressure.

Still a little pist that the dealer originally had my tires at 50psi but since I drove 200+ miles to pick it up, I'm not exactly going back to question it... With that said, thank you all for the comments and hope to pay it forward by helping others on this forum.

itbedave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There is another thread on here talking about the tire pressure. I think almost all of us went home with 50+ psi in our tires.
I thought I was completely crazy when I just got my 2017 Civic EX Hatchback back from it's first service and they said the tires were inflated to 50psi and they adjusted them to 32psi (even though they actually were only at 28 when I checked them after 10 minutes of driving because the low pressure sensor warning went off!)

Glad I'm not the only one to experience this! The sidewalls do say max pressure (on my 17's) is 51psi... so lackey at the dealer must be reading that instead of the door sticker.
Sponsored