2017 Civic EX-T- can you just swap radios easily?

dby2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T sedan
Country flag
Hello-I have a 2017 Civic EX-T. To make a long story short, I installed a software update on my radio that really wasn't meant for the sedan. Everything works fine with the exception of any audio app on Android Auto. It is a known issue with the 197 update and other users have reported it. I also have the older software that was on the radio, but the radio will not let me go back to an older version of the software when I stick the usb drive in. I really want the ability to use the audio apps in Android Auto again. I assume it would be useless to go to my dealer when they are going to see a software version on my radio that shouldn't be there. I doubt they will cover anything under warranty since it's my own doing. I am seeing used 2017 Civic radios on eBay for $200. Could I buy one of them and just switch them out without having to do much of anything else? I plan on keeping my car for a long time and really miss using AA on the radio. I didn't know if a simple swap would work or if there is something else that needs to be done once a different radio is installed. Thanks
Sponsored

daPyr0x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T
Country flag
The answer as with all things is "it depends."

To replace the radio with an equivalent, your best bet would be to confirm the full part number of your current radio and ensure to purchase the exact same part number as your replacement. Different regions, different trim levels, will have different connections on the radio and may not be fully compatible with your vehicle.

It's just a software fault. You caused it, but it's just a software fault. A full radio replacement shouldn't be necessary. I'd recommend going, hat in hand, to your dealer to ask what they can offer as a fix. I doubt they'll say "it's a write-off, gotta buy a new radio from Honda."

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
The answer as with all things is "it depends."
It's just a software fault. You caused it, but it's just a software fault. A full radio replacement shouldn't be necessary. I'd recommend going, hat in hand, to your dealer to ask what they can offer as a fix. I doubt they'll say "it's a write-off, gotta buy a new radio from Honda."
Mine did :banghead:...

Most dealers do not have a clue when it come to issues with the radio... so their "easy" solution is to say it's FRIED, and throw in a new unit.

Then its a long argument as to if they will accept it was warranty, or want to charge you direct. :catfight:
Sponsored