2017-2019 Civic Reliability

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
Well, I think they did say that it might show on my maintenance minder that I may require new tires either that or they will check the tires when I come again. They do tire rotation every time I go come in for maintenance so I'm sure they meant new tires and besides I have 65,000+ miles on the car and I still have the same tires from when I first bought the car in 2016. So it all make sense that I would need new tires soon.
Oh, that's interesting. Curious, is yours a Canadian model? Because Canadian models are a bit different than American...
Sponsored

WCELingad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan in Crystal Black Pearl
Country flag
Oh, that's interesting. Curious, is yours a Canadian model? Because Canadian models are a bit different than American...
Mine is American model I know there are slight variations with American/Canadian models.

OP
OP

tekz

First Name
Tek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan with 65,000 miles and never had any issues at all. My dealership did say that on my next maintenance my car will most likely notify me for new tire change.
How’s the CVT? Do you like it? I assume no issues yet?

OP
OP

tekz

First Name
Tek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Didnt see many 2.0 owners on here so thought i'd chime in. I have a 2018 EX 2.0 Sedan with about 6500 miles on the clock which isn't much at all but so far, its been nothing short of great. At this low of mileage obviously no one expects anything to go wrong, but even so the car has been great with no issues. I honestly belive from a reliability standpoint, theres no way the 2.0 will disappoint.
Good to know...how do you find the CVT and fuel economy? Any issues?

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Good to know...how do you find the CVT and fuel economy? Any issues?
CVT in these cars is surprisingly one of the best things. Doesnt have thaf "rubber band effect" and as long as your not flooring the car all the time its quiet, refined, and you pretty much barely notice its not a traditional automatic. As for fuel econ, its highway mileage is great and I always get around 36-37 MPG highway and depending on the kknd of city traffic, 26-27 MPG for heavy stop and go traffic and 28-30 MPG for less dense city traffic.

DoctorCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
I know you said '17-'19 year Civics, but just wanted to chime in about my '16 Civic (first year of the 10th gen refresh so higher likelihood of having issues). This past summer took my '16 Civic on an 11,000 mile North American road trip over 7 weeks, going to many national parks, temps ranging from 40's to 110's, elevation change from sea level to 10,000 feet, and all I needed on the trip was an oil change and a quick stop at a dealer to fasten a few screws on an underbody panel. Even took it offroading in the Grand Canyon, handled the trip like a champ (up to 650 miles per day). At 34,000 miles now and no issues (knock on wood). Averaged 42 mpg over the 11,000 miles.

dfc888

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX (w/ Honda Sensing)
Country flag
2016 Civic LX w/ Sensing - Almost at 93,000 miles in 2.5 years of ownership.

It's my daily 110 mile (2 hour total) round-trip car for 5 days a week with no traffic either way (so you can say, it's 95% highway miles).

8 oil and filter changes thus far (every 12K miles), 1 CVT fluid change (50K), 1 new set of tires (originals lasted 75K), changed cabin and engine air filter twice (early, at 40K each, due to the extremely sooty California wildfires in 2017, and recent 2018), and flushed the brake fluids/lubed the caliper pins (right at 2 year mark). With the exception of the air filters, just followed the Maintenance Minder.

The only actual issue the car had from the factory (knocking on wood HARD) is a loose overhead dome light (the one by the center rearview mirror). The clip on the inside is loose so occasionally I see it drooping with a 1 CM gap from the headliner.

In 2.5 years of ownership... here's my observations (extremely minor issues):
-Seat comfort could be better.
-Windshield quality is questionable (appears to be "soft" compared to older cars from past. There are so many little speckles and chips everywhere.
-Tan interior is disgusting. Don't ask. Get dark interior when possible, or leather seats, etc.
-Also, my electronic rear brake has the open software recall (where, electronic rear brake may not engage, if engaged after ignition is shut off). Have not had any issues with the e-brakes actuating even after ignition off so far. *again, knocks hard on wood*

Otherwise, the car's been okay!

Last edited:

WCELingad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan in Crystal Black Pearl
Country flag
How’s the CVT? Do you like it? I assume no issues yet?
I love the CVT on my Civic and I have never had any issues with it. I don't think I can go back to regular automatic after getting used to driving an amazing CVT transmission unless a regular automatic can shift so quick that you will never notice it lol.

Jimmyson27

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sedan 2019 Sprot
Country flag
Bought civic 2019 sport sedan. It a great car. Right off thr bat 3 days later having the car, the honda sensing features popped up on my display panel popping problems. Took it to dealership and took care if it. As of now everything is good. So far driven 1500 miles.

CosmicX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6M
Country flag
2016 LX 2.0 and 6MT.
Almost to 92000 miles, no real issues with the engine.
I threw codes a couple times for a knock sensor.
They re-flashed the PGM, and no more codes.
My mileage has dropped since swapping tires to something with more grip/rolling resistance.
Cannot complain about anything on this car except the thin paint.

*update 10-23-19 Now up to 119,000 miles, no issues to report. Just regular maintenance stuff.
Extended warranty goes away in 1000 more miles*

Last edited:

Adil

First Name
Adil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5t
Country flag
Have the 1.5T. Live in SA, done almost 60 000km. No issues. CVT can be noisy only when pushed hard. Love the CVT and turbo combo and the hardling/ride. No major issues. I think our get built in Thailand:hmm:

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Well, I think they did say that it might show on my maintenance minder that I may require new tires either that or they will check the tires when I come again. They do tire rotation every time I go come in for maintenance so I'm sure they meant new tires and besides I have 65,000+ miles on the car and I still have the same tires from when I first bought the car in 2016. So it all make sense that I would need new tires soon.

Yes with 65K miles on original tires, you may need new tires.

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX CVT
Country flag
Mine is probably an exception to the rule and is a 1.5T Hatch, but here has been my experience. Purchased new in August of 2017 and am sitting just shy of 16,000 miles currently.

- Hatch door was loose from the factory and made a knocking sound over every bump. The dealer thought they fixed it, but didn't. I ended up adjusting two rubber "bumpers" on the door which took care of the issue.
- CVT was violently bucking at every stop during a trip 4 months into ownership. Turning the car off then on again fixed it.
- Loud metallic knock AND clunk in the steering which is felt and heard when leaving a parking spot. Two dealers have looked at it a total of 6 times and even with Honda of America involved, everyone claims they can't reproduce the problem and that nothing is wrong.
- A/C makes a loud chirping sound. Dealer replaced the blower motor which didn't fix the problem.

Other than that the car is great. Turbo and CVT is a good combo and the car handles well.

alias Igme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo 156, Honda Civic (1.5t hatchback)
Country flag
I understand that I am replying to an old thread, but thank you very much for the input.

I was concerned about the 2019 Civic hatchback only being available in 1.5T CVT here, but the feedback on its reliability finally won me over to get one. I should have mine by next week.

I hope that it makes me smile while driving as much as my good ol' Alfa Romeo 156 did.

Cheers!
Sponsored