2017-2019 Civic Reliability

1. tekz

tekz Member

First Name:
    Tek
    Car(s):
    Mazda
    Hello Civic owners specifically MY 2017-2019, looking at the compact segment comparing between the Forte, Corolla and Civic (EX with 2.0L engine-not the 1.5T) would appreciate any feedback or real world experience in terms of any major issues/reliability so far. Not trying to get convinced on which model to get but just doing my research for possible purchase soon. Any info would help...Thanks!

2. NotSerious

NotSerious Senior Member

First Name:
    No
    Car(s):
    2018CivicLXSedanCVT
    Corolla has been the class leader in reliability for many years and that will likely continue. That said, the 2.0 Civic will probably be pretty close. The 2020 Corolla Sedan is a brand new generation, so they will likely have some teething problems however. The Korean cars have improved their "initial reliability" substantially over the years but are probably not as durable as a Honda or Toyota. This is why their resale value stinks.

If I was buying now, I would get a 2019 Civic Sport Sedan or 2019 EX (2.0 in Canada). You won't have to worry about the problems that the new generation Corolla will have and the Civic will likely last you more than 10 years. If Reliability is extremely important to you, just get the 2019 Corolla Sedan. Boring but proven.

3. gtman

gtman Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Cosmic Blue Civic EX-L
    #3 gtman, Jan 12, 2019 at 3:10 PM
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 4:13 PM
    A couple of points.

I have a turbo Civic and it's been a great car in my year and a half plus of ownership. I know you're looking at the 2.0, but I wanted to throw that out there.

I previously owned a last generation Forte SX and it was a great ride for my 7 years of ownership. Very reliable. I have a friend that owns a current gen Forte and she loves hers as well.

I actually got nearly 6 grand in trade from the Honda dealer on my 7 year old Forte. Resale value is getting better on Korean cars.

4. xcoreflyup

xcoreflyup Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Hatchback Sport
    #4 xcoreflyup, Jan 12, 2019 at 3:34 PM
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 1:38 AM
    My 2 years old 33k miles 1.5T civic has been great and reliable. My interior rattle a bit on rough roads or I turn up my music :dunno:

5. OP
    tekz

tekz Member

First Name:
    Tek
    Car(s):
    Mazda
    Thanks for the reply...I assume yours haven’t had any issues? How’s the CVT?

6. OP
    tekz

tekz Member

First Name:
    Tek
    Car(s):
    Mazda
    Thanks for the info...rattles are minor and are quite normal for the age and class...just worried abt the 1.5T as I live in an extremely cold climate and heard issues abt that engine

7. OP
    tekz

tekz Member

First Name:
    Tek
    Car(s):
    Mazda
    Here in Cda the EX only comes with the 2.0 engine...quite frankly worried abt the 1.5T engine issues in much colder climate regions. I know Corolla and civic are the kings with higher resale values than Forte and other makes...just haven’t had experience owning Korean brands to trust them with reliability as the Toyotas and Hondas...though heard they’ve come a long ways now

8. japan617

japan617 Member

First Name:
    James
    Car(s):
    2019 Civic Sport Sedan
    I don't think you can go wrong with either the Forte, Corolla, or Civic. The 2019 Corolla hatchback is a new model year so there might be more kinks to iron out (a recall was issued for the CVT). The Civic is in a mid generation cycle so it should be pretty reliable. Kia/Hyundai have been reportedly improving in reliability and their warranty is the best in class. Although.. when I was looking for a new car, I test drove a Hyundai and submitted the voucher for the $50 gift card for a test drive and the Hyundai dealership came back and told me the voucher had already been redeemed at another dealership. I've since filed a complaint through BBB because corporate Hyundai ignored my emails/messages. So I would take their warranty support with a grain of salt. They are reported to be real sticklers too who go an additional length to avoid owning up to any issues. Just my two cents.

9. Civics4Ever

Civics4Ever Ralley Red EXT

Swimming pool tech
    Car(s):
    97 civic, 99 civic, 16 civic
    2016 1.5T almost 60,000 miles. CVT. No problems.

lunarsilver, Billy4202, djasonw and 3 others thanked this.
  10. NotSerious

NotSerious Senior Member

First Name:
    No
    Car(s):
    2018CivicLXSedanCVT
    #10 NotSerious, Jan 12, 2019 at 5:44 PM
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 11:37 AM
    15 months in and it has been dead reliable. Just like my last Civic was for 16 years.
    The LX should be about $26,000 with tax in Ontario and the EX and Sport Sedan will probably be between $28,000 and $30,000. If you don't want to haggle, look up "APA.ca". They will save you about $800 off of list for a Honda or Toyota.

tekz thanked this.
  11. OP
    tekz

tekz Member

First Name:
    Tek
    Car(s):
    Mazda
    Thanks for the info....

12. WCELingad

WCELingad Senior Member

Respiratory Therapist
    Car(s):
    2016 Honda Civic EX, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
    2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan with 65,000 miles and never had any issues at all. My dealership did say that on my next maintenance my car will most likely notify me for new tire change.

lunarsilver thanked this.
  13. jred721

jred721 Senior Member

First Name:
    James
    Car(s):
    '18 Honda Civic EX, '18 BMW M550i, '13 Mercedes ML350
    Didnt see many 2.0 owners on here so thought i'd chime in. I have a 2018 EX 2.0 Sedan with about 6500 miles on the clock which isn't much at all but so far, its been nothing short of great. At this low of mileage obviously no one expects anything to go wrong, but even so the car has been great with no issues. I honestly belive from a reliability standpoint, theres no way the 2.0 will disappoint.

tekz thanked this.
  14. civicls

civicls Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
    Wait, the civic notifies you for new tires? I think your mistaken, they probably meant tire rotation, or they're telling you a load of bs...

15. WCELingad

WCELingad Senior Member

Respiratory Therapist
    Car(s):
    2016 Honda Civic EX, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
    Well, I think they did say that it might show on my maintenance minder that I may require new tires either that or they will check the tires when I come again. They do tire rotation every time I go come in for maintenance so I'm sure they meant new tires and besides I have 65,000+ miles on the car and I still have the same tires from when I first bought the car in 2016. So it all make sense that I would need new tires soon.