Moichi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fit & CR-V
Country flag
What will the Type R cost in the U.S.? It starts at £29,995 with the GT version adding £2,300 to that amount. That translates to $44,750 and $3500 more for the GT version.

Think it will translate directly to US prices or how much more will the imported version cost?
Sponsored

Guzmannn

Threads
Reaction score
Won't translate directly. We luckily pay less for our cars than other markets. There's no way it'll be in the 40's. Mid 30's is my guess for US pricing.

NIN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas 4 life
Won't translate directly. We luckily pay less for our cars than other markets. There's no way it'll be in the 40's. Mid 30's is my guess for US pricing.
If it goes above mid-30k it's gonna be a tough sell. Can't imagine selling many hatchbacks at 35-40k price range.

Whoosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Let's do a comparison then.... the Focus ST is a close rival and is avail in both UK and US. It starts at bit over £22,000 in the UK so if the Type R runs about £8,000 more than a Focus ST there, it's safe to assume it would run at least $8K more than a Focus ST in the US. It starts at about $24K in the states so you could extrapolate that it wouldn't start below $30K and probably won't be less than $32K.

Viva la vida

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
Let's do a comparison then.... the Focus ST is a close rival and is avail in both UK and US. It starts at bit over £22,000 in the UK so if the Type R runs about £8,000 more than a Focus ST there, it's safe to assume it would run at least $8K more than a Focus ST in the US. It starts at about $24K in the states so you could extrapolate that it wouldn't start below $30K and probably won't be less than $32K.
I wouldn't expect it to be less than $35k. People are gonna say that's expensive for a Civic but how many sub-$35k cars can run 7:50 on the nurburgring? ;)

martyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boring Accord family hauler
Above or below $35,000 they are losing money on each Type R that will be sold in the U.S. The homologation costs alone will run them tens of millions.

This one is strictly to create enthusiasm, for brand image and bragging rights.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Civic EX
Country flag
I wouldn't expect it to be less than $35k. People are gonna say that's expensive for a Civic but how many sub-$35k cars can run 7:50 on the nurburgring? ;)
Yea being built in UK and imported pretty much guarantees it will have a price premium. It's the opposite effect of what happens when we export our gas guzzlers over there.

It's like with the EP3 Civic Si/SiR hatchback in the early to mid 2000s... which pretty much sold like crap. I remember Honda trying to sell the EP3 Civic hatchback for around $20,000 in the US and around $25,000 in Canada. And that was something like 50% more over the regular Civic sedan.

C Note

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--
Price it at 35K and give a great alternative to the Focus RS. It'll have to stay competitive pricing wise to grab buyers away from that and the Golf R

MMM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fit
35 grand is also the price point of the WRX STI. Lots of good competition at that price range. But the TypeR still beats it on the Nurburgring ;)

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
Price it at 35K and give a great alternative to the Focus RS. It'll have to stay competitive pricing wise to grab buyers away from that and the Golf R
Focus RS been priced yet?

iamjack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I haven't seen a released price, yet.
My guess is Type R will enjoy a price advantage (relatively speaking) since the Japanese yen is down so much against the dollar. Ford meanwhile has to deal completely in US dollars.

I do wonder if Honda finally decided to bring the Type R into the U.S. in response to Ford announcing the Focus RS for the U.S. or if it's all just coincidence?

Emina

Threads
Reaction score
My guess is Type R will enjoy a price advantage (relatively speaking) since the Japanese yen is down so much against the dollar. Ford meanwhile has to deal completely in US dollars.

I do wonder if Honda finally decided to bring the Type R into the U.S. in response to Ford announcing the Focus RS for the U.S. or if it's all just coincidence?
I think the "me too" announcement by Honda was no coincidence. But keep in mind the Focus RS will be available spring 2016 and the Type R will be at least a yr or two after.

iamjack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I think the "me too" announcement by Honda was no coincidence. But keep in mind the Focus RS will be available spring 2016 and the Type R will be at least a yr or two after.
Well then good for Ford for announcing the RS for US :) Can't wait to see the hot hatch comparos from US publications -- Type R vs Focus RS vs Golf R

///Mookster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm looking forward to the Focus RS pricing. It should give a good idea what the Type R will be at and probably will be slightly cheaper.
Sponsored