2017 1.5 MT Dyno Results

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Excuse my ignorance, but does this mean the CVT 1.5 Turbos are underrated as well? Could the MT transmission increase horsepower/torque OR could the MT transmission be easier to Dyno accurately?
I believe Hondata had already previously dynoed the CVT. yes it is underrated. if i remember, their numbers were 177hp & 190lb-tq
Sponsored

chucku33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lexus es300
wow shit getting real. no wonder last time i test drove the EXT with 4 people in the car, it pulled crazy in Sport launch mode

boozilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 honda civic FD7 1993 Nissan Skyline GT-R BNR32
We've just dynoed a 2017 1.5 MT 4 door Civic, and the results are very promising. The car was completely stock with 400 miles on the odometer.

On 87 octane this car made 190 hp and 190 lb-ft of torque. We were a little surprised so we compared this to our 2012 Civic Si.

CIvic 17 MT stock.gif

You can see the Si makes more power at the top of the rev range but the 1.5 turbo makes more power and torque from 2000-5900 rpm.

Civic 17 MT vs 12 Si.gif
I would love to see the result here in Europe with an 98,100,105 octane.
We don't have less then 95 octane.

serif

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9G Accord V6 Slushbox Sedan
I would love to see the result here in Europe with an 98,100,105 octane.
We don't have less then 95 octane.
The US and EU have different octane rating methods (RON vs AKI), so the US octane numbers read lower than EU. US "premium" 93 AKI is equivalent to EU 98 RON. But our minimum octane rating is 87, while the minimum EU is equivalent to 91. The 1.5T in Europe is rated at 179hp, so I'm willing to bet it's the same engine, just on higher minimum grade fuel.

Considering these numbers were made on 87 AKI, and expecting an extra 4-5hp after break-in and "learning", and 4-5hp for 93 AKI, I'd imagine 105 RON to make an additional 4-5hp. So right around 202-205hp. That's in line with the original announcement of the "Euro" 1.5T making 201hp and 260nm (~192lb-ft). Given my assumption that they're actually the same engine, Honda may be purposely underrating them across the board but showed their hand at the original engine announcement. So all the old "Why does Europe get more power than we do?" complaints are moot.

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT, 2015 Si (RIP)
Ringing it out to get power. The change is not bad. Just that the way to drive the Civic is different now. Everyday cars are becoming so fast and powerful throughout the rev range. It seems like it's been a turning point in our history with cars, and the next phase is all good, but bittersweet. :)

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I'll say it again, my 6MT Sport pulls like my 330i, which has an underrated 235 hp, but is 500 lbs heavier.

Definitely pulls harder on 93 octane though.
That's more to do with the torque curve than the actual output. I noticed the same behavior at the LA Auto show driving the WRX, GTI, and Civic Hatch back-to-back, and then walking back to drive the MS3 home. Similar throttle response very early in the powerband, though the MS3/WRX spool a bit later.

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
And if you put in 91 octane in, this M/T Civic (our shop car) makes almost 200 hp :)

The car definitely feels nice. We'll be uploading a driving impressions video of it soon.

I think the FlashPro is going to be the must have product for this 10th Gen Civic based on what I've seen. Will boost it to well beyond 200 hp.

Last edited:

hoodlum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Astra
Country flag
So does this mean that the 190hp CRV is the exact same setup as the civic? I know it's the same hardware, but thought maybe a different tune for a little more power.
The CRV bumped the boost pressure to 18.5 PSI from the 16.5 PSI in the Civic.

http://hondanews.com/channels/cr-v/releases/2017-honda-cr-v-powertrain

"Designed to operate on Regular Unleaded fuel, the engine's maximum boost pressure is set at 18.5 psi., up from a maximum of 16.5 psi in Civic turbocharged models."

mhwkr01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Civic LX sedan ASM, 2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan BNP
So the new Civic Si is gonna get a generous helping of horsepower and torque given that this gave the standard 174hp about 16 more hp and 40 more torques over the standard factory figures.

gnuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9th gen Civic Si
Thanks for doing this Hondata. I'm curious why you did a 4th gear pull on the 9th gen Si and a 3rd gear pull on the 1.5T? I know the Civic Si and the 1.5T have different gear ratios, so I wanted to know if this has been taken into account since the ratio on the comparison graph looks the same. Why was this dyno done in 3rd gear instead of 4th like the Si? I'm interested in trading my Si for a Sport Hatchback and this looks promising. Please don't take this as bashing but I just want to understand these "numbers" more after reading Vit's article a while back. I'm also tuned with your FlashPro on my Si with just a catted downpipe making 201whp. http://blog.vittuned.com/dynojet-fudging-tutorial-101/
Sponsored