PirelliPZero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EJ6, CBR
Actually the NSX was offered with a 4-speed automatic from start to finish (1990 to 2005).

I also don't buy the "It's always been that way" argument. What about that the Civic Si had always been a hatchback - no one cared about that when the Si became coupe-only for the 6th gen. What about the 7th gen when the Civic Si introduced front struts instead of wishbones? Or the 8th gen when it was joined by a sedan body style? Or when the 9th gen went to electric power steering. The Civic Si resembles very little what it was when it was introduced.

Let's not even talk about the new JDM-legendary-nameplate Type-R being a European-made 5-door body; American-made low-revving turbo engine; front strut, rear torsion beam chassis...

So who gets to pick and choose what traditions are okay and what traditions are perfectly fine to drop? I would say only Honda - the company that creates all these products and badges in the first place. If they make an automatic Si, so be it.
Sponsored

dirtybird222

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 STI, 1994 Accord Chumpcar
Yes they were offered with an Auto; but, they always came with a manual.....

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Honda is pretty good about keeping things true to their roots as far as a manual goes. If it's a sporty model it will have a manual. Every civic si ever, rsx type-s, nsx, s2000, etc. I wouldn't worry and I doubt it'll get an auto unless it's the 8speed DCT from the ILX/TLX.
Subaru is selling WRX's faster than they can make 'em now. No one would have ever believed that the WRX would get a CVT off all things. A LOT of people were/are pissed that Subaru killed off the hatchback WRX and also gave it a CVT. But, the proof is in the sales. Of course, the WRX is still an awesome car anyways.

Don't be surprised if Honda puts a CVT in the Si.

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
They haven't really given ANY info on the next Si.... other than the fact its coming after the sedan and coupe hit the market. They haven't said what engine it might get. At this point it could be 1 of 3. the 1.5T uptuned to Si standards, the 2.0T from the type R tuned down or they could stick with the 2.4 earth dreams engine.... The possibility of adding a DCT is speculated mostly because of the ILX application which makes similar numbers to the current Si.
Acura hasn't been very attention holding in recent years so didn't realize ILX had a DCT. That's great news to me and like you said definitely makes it a possibility (even if remote) that we might see it in one of the Civic models.

///Mookster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Subaru is selling WRX's faster than they can make 'em now. No one would have ever believed that the WRX would get a CVT off all things. A LOT of people were/are pissed that Subaru killed off the hatchback WRX and also gave it a CVT. But, the proof is in the sales. Of course, the WRX is still an awesome car anyways.

Don't be surprised if Honda puts a CVT in the Si.
We're seeing more CVT throughout Honda's range so I defintiely wouldn't be surprised to see it in the Si. My prediction is Si gets offered with both CVT and a manual. As long as they keep giving manuals at least as an option in the different models then I'm happy.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We're seeing more CVT throughout Honda's range so I defintiely wouldn't be surprised to see it in the Si. My prediction is Si gets offered with both CVT and a manual. As long as they keep giving manuals at least as an option in the different models then I'm happy.
No matter what honda does they'll never completely get rid of their manual transmission. It's the one thing that hasn't dulled with age, it's one of the best in the industry and gets way too much praise to ever be phased out completely (especially from their sport models). Id prefer the DCT in the Si, but i wouldn't hate the CVT either. Supposedly honda completely rebuilt their CVT for the civic to be more sport oriented, quicker reacting etc so i'm looking forward to seeing how it performs. I really don't mind the CVT in my 14' coupe now, i like it better than the old 5 speed and the sport mode is nice on occasion so an Si with CVT would be ok, and would keep it differentiated from the ILX.

Viva la vida

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
Honda is pretty good about keeping things true to their roots as far as a manual goes. If it's a sporty model it will have a manual. Every civic si ever, rsx type-s, nsx, s2000, etc. I wouldn't worry and I doubt it'll get an auto unless it's the 8speed DCT from the ILX/TLX.
Agreed and it is not like a muscle car where the gas mileage is so bad it's having any major effect on CAFE numbers. Soon enough performance cars like the Mustang will probably not even have a manual option (it's already optional) since the out of the box mileage is not so good.

royac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
buick
Actually the NSX was offered with a 4-speed automatic from start to finish (1990 to 2005).

I also don't buy the "It's always been that way" argument. What about that the Civic Si had always been a hatchback - no one cared about that when the Si became coupe-only for the 6th gen. What about the 7th gen when the Civic Si introduced front struts instead of wishbones? Or the 8th gen when it was joined by a sedan body style? Or when the 9th gen went to electric power steering. The Civic Si resembles very little what it was when it was introduced.

Let's not even talk about the new JDM-legendary-nameplate Type-R being a European-made 5-door body; American-made low-revving turbo engine; front strut, rear torsion beam chassis...

So who gets to pick and choose what traditions are okay and what traditions are perfectly fine to drop? I would say only Honda - the company that creates all these products and badges in the first place. If they make an automatic Si, so be it.

nade shot

Threads
Reaction score
Agreed and it is not like a muscle car where the gas mileage is so bad it's having any major effect on CAFE numbers. Soon enough performance cars like the Mustang will probably not even have a manual option (it's already optional) since the out of the box mileage is not so good.
It's already starting to happen to more and more premium performance cars. Next generation M5/M6 will lose its manual option for example. Interesting that the more affordable cars seem to be keeping their manuals better than premium cars.

As for performance cars like the Mustang I think you might see it go away eventually on more base levels like the V6 model but it'll be decades before it goes away for the hi-po models like the GT350/GT500.

BigBang09

nsbryant09
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Former: 2004 Mustang V6, 2008 Civic LX)
It's already starting to happen to more and more premium performance cars. Next generation M5/M6 will lose its manual option for example. Interesting that the more affordable cars seem to be keeping their manuals better than premium cars.

As for performance cars like the Mustang I think you might see it go away eventually on more base levels like the V6 model but it'll be decades before it goes away for the hi-po models like the GT350/GT500.
Interesting indeed, and my guess is the "status symbol" concept comes into play. Most people who can afford the more expensive makes aren't as concerned about actual performance, and just want their car to be "superior" to more affordable ones. With that in mind, respective bigwigs figure it's not worth the extra cost of developing/maintaining a manual option for such models. If someone's willing/able to shell out a little extra for the same badge, in return for something sportier, they're usually more concerned about the actual driving, and thus leaving the manual option makes more sense.

Of course there's exceptions, but they'll be few and far between. For badges as a whole, Porsche *might* be an exception, since they've been making a few models such as the Cayman GT4 specifically with only a manual for those who didn't like most of their models going dual clutch. Beyond that, it comes down to the individual.

Tap Out

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 CRV
Interesting indeed, and my guess is the "status symbol" concept comes into play. Most people who can afford the more expensive makes aren't as concerned about actual performance, and just want their car to be "superior" to more affordable ones. With that in mind, respective bigwigs figure it's not worth the extra cost of developing/maintaining a manual option for such models. If someone's willing/able to shell out a little extra for the same badge, in return for something sportier, they're usually more concerned about the actual driving, and thus leaving the manual option makes more sense.
I think it might also have to do with marketing... dual clutch and autos can now be faster than manual transmissions unlike in the past when manuals gave faster acceleration than autos. So for auto companies being able to advertise faster and faster 0-60 times is a plus when it comes to the 'auto' type transmissions.

Uncle Jack

Threads
Reaction score
This is the first I remember DCT being brought up as a possible transmission. Any rumors that may be true? I've only heard of CVT as the 'auto' transmission that's coming.

Would LOVE to have DCT so I hope it's more than a rumor.
I don't think anything but maybe the Type R would really benefit much from a dual clutch transmission other than bragging rights kind of thing. CVT and conventional autos have gotten so good anyways..

nade shot

Threads
Reaction score
Just noticed 26k+ views for this thread?! Lots of interest in the sedan or just a new generation civic in general?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Civic EX
Country flag
I don't think anything but maybe the Type R would really benefit much from a dual clutch transmission other than bragging rights kind of thing. CVT and conventional autos have gotten so good anyways..
Some people really don't like how the CVT one gear action feels tho. And dual clutch is still faster than a traditional auto. Dual clutch should also be able to handle higher maximum power levels compared to auto, but maybe only important for tuners and owners who go crazy modifying.

Just noticed 26k+ views for this thread?! Lots of interest in the sedan or just a new generation civic in general?
I saw it on some auto blogs and other sites. Would be surprised if there was this much interest from enthusiasts for just the sedan. The coupe and Type R must be what most of us r here for.

Shortbus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Fit Blue Sensation
Some people really don't like how the CVT one gear action feels tho. And dual clutch is still faster than a traditional auto. Dual clutch should also be able to handle higher maximum power levels compared to auto, but maybe only important for tuners and owners who go crazy modifying.
Dual clutch is too fancy for the Civic and not needed. It's more expensive too and will only jack up the price unnecessarily.
Sponsored