2016 Honda Civic EX-T suddenly shows 5 problems; car stutters/lurches and doesn't have much power

D Money

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2016 Honda Civic EX-T (White Orchid Pearl)
Purchased: June 2016
Mileage: 41,895

Today, after I finished working out at a gym near my house, I started my car and put it in reverse and felt an abrupt lurching movement. I thought I had accidentally parked on an elevated surface or something, but it turns out, my car had the Check Engine Light on.

I cautiously drove it around the parking lot for a few seconds and these 5 error messages started taking turns showing:

1. Transmission System Problem
2. Brake System Problem
3. Brake Hold System Problem
4. Hill Start Assist Problem
5. Electric Parking Brake Problem

I was only about 8 miles away from home, so I cautiously drove my car home.

It seemed to drive fine, except it was lurching. It was like stuttering at certain points. I never drove it faster than 40 MPH. It seemed like my car lacked power, and after a few minutes, there was a soft whining noise. I took video inside my car, so if needed, I can upload that.

It felt like someone was softly tapping the brakes on my car every so often.

This happened on Sunday so I'm going to drop it off at the nearby dealership tomorrow morning.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

(My car has been relatively problem-free, except for a few weeks ago I came home from vacation to a dead battery. After jumping the battery it worked for a bit before totally dying on me at work. I simply replaced the battery with a brand new one and the car has been starting fine since then.)

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic EX-T suddenly shows 5 problems; car stutters/lurches and doesn't have much power 2019-06-23 17.57.44

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic EX-T suddenly shows 5 problems; car stutters/lurches and doesn't have much power 2019-06-23 17.57.49

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic EX-T suddenly shows 5 problems; car stutters/lurches and doesn't have much power 2019-06-23 17.57.55

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic EX-T suddenly shows 5 problems; car stutters/lurches and doesn't have much power 2019-06-23 17.58.01

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic EX-T suddenly shows 5 problems; car stutters/lurches and doesn't have much power 2019-06-23 17.58.08

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
It sounds parking brake related to me. Is there any chance that someone rear ended the car while it was in the parking lot?

I can't explain the surging/whining unless the brake was sticking.

Please keep us updated. And good luck.

OP
OP
D Money

D Money

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It sounds parking brake related to me. Is there any chance that someone rear ended the car while it was in the parking lot?

I can't explain the surging/whining unless the brake was sticking.

Please keep us updated. And good luck.
I didn't notice anything wrong. No damage; I don't think anyone rear-ended the car.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Do you have the ability to look at your codes? Or a tuning unit to see your STFT?

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bet the codes magically go away when you drop it to the dealer it always seems to happen

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
The dealer will probably reboot the computer and it will go away. But at least the issue will be recorded at the dealer, in case it happens again.

OP
OP
D Money

D Money

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
At the dealership now, on my laptop using their wifi in the lounge.

Someone will run a diagnostic in 1.5-2 hours and they'll let me know what they find.

I described it the car's lurching-ness to the Honda guy and he said "That's limp mode."

Limp mode? As in a play on pimp mode? That's pretty funny. I'll let you guys know what they say. He didn't seem too alarmed but he did mention that after they diagnose, they can talk about what to do afterwards, whether that be a loaner car or a shuttle drop-off.

OP
OP
D Money

D Money

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It was a malfunction speed sensor.

Parts were $50. Labor was about $300 but he hooked me up with $75 off. So I paid about $315 total to get it done. Pretty quick job.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Damn that's not under powertrain since it's part of the trans ?

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
3yrs/36K would have covered that component.
The 60K covers mechanical, not electronics.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
My car is JUST over 3 years old, and has 41k miles. Some luck.
Yeah..that’s a real biter I agree. But, $300 isn’t breaking the bank right? Thank goodness that you don’t have a high pressure fuel pump fail on your BMW right after warrantee . Thus, I learned from that - twice even
Sponsored