civvie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Most likely the LED lights will be standard only on the Touring model. They might have a lighting package available for lower trims, but knowing honda i wouldn't count on it. I want an EX and depending on cost i'll either buy the LED housings online and swap them out myself or if i don't mind the look of the projectors i'll buy bulbs that will match the LED accent lights more closely (if they don't already match well enough).
With lighting getting more complex will it be as easy as swapping a housing? Might need its own separate ballast and maybe even some coding done on the car to code out error messages?

Have we gotten a look at what the LED lights will look like? Sorry if I missed it.
Sponsored

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With lighting getting more complex will it be as easy as swapping a housing? Might need its own separate ballast and maybe even some coding done on the car to code out error messages?

Have we gotten a look at what the LED lights will look like? Sorry if I missed it.
Yea, some of the spy shots of the sedan floating around show the LED headlights. They look similar to the ones on the touring accord and the civic concept car where it's multiple reflector housings with the turn signal in a strip across the top of the light.

As for swapping, it may or may not be easy. Ballasts are no big deal, i have a friend that had to put them in his accord and it was no big deal. As for CPU and coding, in my experience all the trims have the necessary coding for all the trim parts, its just whether or not it has those specific parts to make the cpu function that way. The only thing i could think being an issue is that the LED headlights have auto brights that the normal lights won't have, but i'd forgo that feature if i could have the LED lights.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag

I'm just glad LED technology got to where LED headlights could catch on. Hopefully HID will die completely.

C Note

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--
I'm just glad LED technology got to where LED headlights could catch on. Hopefully HID will die completely.
Gonna take a while for that to happen. Hell, halogens are still standard base headlights in cars these days. We'll probably get to a point where xenon are standard base headlights in a few years.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Gonna take a while for that to happen. Hell, halogens are still standard base headlights in cars these days. We'll probably get to a point where xenon are standard base headlights in a few years.
Actually we are at a point where HID lamps+ballasts are becoming more expensive to manufacture (for the OEMs, let's not think of eBay Chinese kits) than LEDs. I think HIDs will linger on in legacy designs, but going forward it'll be halogen and/or LED. Lumens per dollar are already an advantage for LED, just gotta get the OEM lighting vendors to scale up on LED lighting production.

Good example is the flashlight industry. They went straight from incandescent to LED, there were only a few rare HID lights made. Nowadays your choices are mostly LED and some incandescent flashlights.

BTW hopefully Honda isn't using Subaru's LED lighting vendor. The WRX is having issues with it's LED headlights. On some cars they are just randomly shutting off one headlight and illuminating a warning message on the LCD in the instrument cluster.

Golf6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK6 Golf
+1

LEDs are better all around. Long life, run cooler, draws less power. Manufacturers are still charging a big premium for LED lights because it's the top end headlight option (except for the cars now coming out with laser lights) but the price for it should come down as LED headlights become even more common and old tech.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Has anyone else noticed how tall the rear deck inside the car is? It literally looks like it raises up taller than the rear head rests in order to meet the bottom of the back window. (talking about the plastic area where the back speakers are usually mounted) in some of the shots where you can see the back through the windshield you can see it. What an odd look. But the trunk is so high up and the back window is so steeply raked i guess they had to do it to make the deck meet the window without lowering the seats too much. The sedan shots don't appear to have this since the back window isn't as raked.

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
I never noticed until you pointed it out but it does look a bit odd. Hopefully that doesn't come out too clunky looking or really hamper visibility out of the rear. It's too bad they never previewed the interior in the civic concept, it sounds like they had big plans to drastically improve the interior but so far not so sure if we are seeing a total revolutionary leap. Only a few more days until we find out!

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I never noticed until you pointed it out but it does look a bit odd. Hopefully that doesn't come out too clunky looking or really hamper visibility out of the rear. It's too bad they never previewed the interior in the civic concept, it sounds like they had big plans to drastically improve the interior but so far not so sure if we are seeing a total revolutionary leap. Only a few more days until we find out!
It took me a few times looking before i noticed it. At first i thought maybe i was seeing something through the back window that was behind the car, but i can't see anything that would/could be that... so it has to be the rear deck.

I'm excited for the official reveal as well! Can't wait to see the press ready images and finally see the gauge cluster.

Type-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Fit Sport
Now that you mention it, it's the back window rake makes the coupe's rear roofline look so good. Looks like we're going to sacrifice some visibility and maybe rear headroom for styling?

Hard to tell without a driver or right nextt to other cars IMO. The sedan looked bigger next to the current sedan in some pics posted here earlier.
I think it's already expected that the sedan and coupe will all be bit bigger than the current models.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Now that you mention it, it's the back window rake makes the coupe's rear roofline look so good. Looks like we're going to sacrifice some visibility and maybe rear headroom for styling?

I think it's already expected that the sedan and coupe will all be bit bigger than the current models.
Based off of all the pics we've seen i think most of the growth will be width. They're definitely alot wider than the current car. I don't expect length to grow too much. a few inches at most. And according to honda it's actually suppose to be lower in terms of height. I think most of the illusion of length is because of the new body style and the angles the photos are taken at.

Viva la vida

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
Based off of all the pics we've seen i think most of the growth will be width. They're definitely alot wider than the current car. I don't expect length to grow too much. a few inches at most. And according to honda it's actually suppose to be lower in terms of height. I think most of the illusion of length is because of the new body style and the angles the photos are taken at.
Yep I bet most of the length increase is an illusion. The fastback shape and swoop shape of the whole car makes it look longer than it is. For ex the Audi A7 isn't a small car but it's also not as monsterously long as it looks because of that fastback trunk. Anyway I like the new style even if it did add an inch or two. :love:

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
Just came across this video from Honda but I don't think I've seen here. Something to keep us excited about the coupe :)

It's just of the coupe concept but the sedan kept it pretty close to the concept design so the coupe should be very close.

Tegster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Integra (Tafetta White)
Looking at the concept again, the blacked out center bar makes so much difference. Also love that bottom center mesh grill - very aggressive. Hope something like that ends up on the Si model.
Sponsored