Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
2016 Honda Civic Coupe 1.5T CVT
AN ENGAGING COUPE FROM THE ONE-TIME MAKER OF ENGAGING COUPES.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic Coupe 1.5T CVT - Instrumented Test Review 2016-Honda-Civic-EX-L-coupe-101-876x535

Instrumented Test

From the May 2016 issue

DIMENSIONS:

Wheelbase: 106.3 in
Length: 176.9 in
Width: 70.8 in Height: 54.9 in
Passenger volume: 89 cu ft
Trunk volume: 12 cu ft
Curb weight: 2882 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:

Zero to 60 mph: 6.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 16.9 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 27.3 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 7.2 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 3.9 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 4.7 sec
Standing ÂĽ-mile: 15.1 sec @ 95 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 125 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 173 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.83 g

The old Civic coupe is a minivan. Not literally. But after driving the new one, last year’s model feels—there’s no nice way to put this—like a gigantic Cheerio depository.

Gone are the thick and distant A-pillars, and the busy two-tier instrument panel is also out, replaced by a big tachometer front and center with a digital speedo inside. Honda moved the hip point—where your glutes hit the seat—way down. As you sit closer to the ground, the narrower A-pillars and the simple and elegant dashboard work to erase that old minivan feeling. The mom jeans are off; the Civic is back to being a car, a very good one.

Taut suspension tuning means body motions are quickly damped, and the steering is alive. There’s a Volkswagen GTI–like eagerness to the turn-in, complemented by excellent cornering stability. Skidpad grip is an unimpressive 0.83 g, mostly due to the all-season rubber, but every bit of that grip is accessible and easy to modulate. A firm brake pedal provides the right amount of initial bite, although the brakes did exhibit slight fade at the track. In testing, the sixth successive stop from 70 mph measured 10 feet more than the first stop, but the pedal pressure remained constant and secure.

A new structure lies under the new skin. Honda claims it’s 25 percent stiffer than before. The structure dispatches big jolts with the brief tuung! of a tightly tuned tom-tom. Its predecessor had a hollow and weedier structure that couldn’t adequately suppress the engine or the suspension. Tire noise is still intrusive on concrete freeways, but the engine seems farther away now, and there’s virtually no wind noise. You don’t hear much at 70 mph, just 67 decibels of tire and mechanical hum, a five-decibel improvement over the old coupe.

Honda claims that the coupe’s unibody is 76 pounds lighter than before, and it may be. But with all the pieces attached and a new turbocharged 1.5-liter four, this car weighs 2882 pounds, or 31 more than the last coupe we tested. That slight weight gain is more than offset by the engine, which makes 31 more horsepower and 33 more pound-feet of torque than the old 1.8-liter. Acceleration to 60 mph takes 6.6 seconds, a full two seconds quicker than before.

At this point, Honda’s CVT automatic is the sole transmission for the 1.5-liter turbo. A big serving of turbo torque starts below 2000 rpm and keeps the CVT from having to zing into the higher revs in normal driving. In drive or sport mode, the transmission “shifts” virtual gears and the changing revs eliminate the unrelenting high-rpm wail characteristic of CVTs. In low mode, the CVT does hold the engine near the redline from about 40 mph until the governor engages at 125 mph. We achieved the quickest acceleration times with the transmission in low. Stepping through the fake gears added a couple of tenths to zero-to-60 runs. And unlike the previous car’s CVT, there isn’t any way to select or hold “gears” if you wish to shift for yourself.

For now, manual enthusiasts have to settle for the naturally aspirated 158-hp 2.0-liter. Paired with the manual, the 2.0-liter has the rev-happy character of Honda engines past. But the easy torque and the extra horsepower of the turbo engine is seductive, so you may want to wait until later this year when Honda will offer a six-speed manual with the 1.5-liter turbo four.

In our hands, the EX-L with the 1.5-liter returned 29 mpg. EPA estimates are forthcoming, but we are told by Honda to expect an improvement: 31 city and 41 highway.

In addition to the old alien-spacecraft console, designers wisely threw out every other aspect of the previous generation. Material quality is hugely improved and the electric parking brake allows for a cavernous center console, but we’d still like to have a volume knob instead of having to swipe the border of the touchscreen. The seat cushions are Porsche firm, but some riders might find the lumbar support excessive.

Much of the exterior seems to have been designed to highlight the Civic’s 1.8-inch-wider body. A chrome nose ring sits just above knee height, and the rear fenders flare out below the pinched-in rear window. The wheelbase has grown by 3.1 inches to 106.3, but the overall length is down an inch. Along with the added width, the longer wheelbase shortens overhangs and yields an assertive stance. The rear end is perhaps the oddest part of the styling, bulging outward in a way that may conjure up images of a robot with a full diaper.

Honda hadn’t announced pricing when we went to press, but it assures us that the coupe will carry only a slight premium over the sedan. Take that to mean a range from $20,000 to nearly $28,000. We’d estimate that our EX-L with the Honda Sensing package that adds active cruise and lane-departure, blind-spot, and forward-collision warnings will cost $25,500. Going to the top Touring level adds nav, a 10-speaker stereo, and LED headlights.

The Civic coupe is a return to form for Honda. But as good as the Civic is, we would wait for the turbo to hook up with the manual before signing any forms.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic Coupe 1.5T CVT - Instrumented Test Review 2016-Honda-Civic-EX-L-coupe-102-876x535

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Gas mileage 29 mpg average? HMMM. hopefully once broken in will be more like 33-36 average

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Gas mileage 29 mpg average? HMMM. hopefully once broken in will be more like 33-36 average
In my experience with the 4 new honda's i've had in the past 8 years gas mileage is awful until breakin, but it does go up slightly as weeks and miles go by. My 8th gens started out pulling 16-28mpg but by time i hit the first 8000 miles they were averaging 32-38 and were capable of 41+.

Same with my 9th gens. So i'd say no worries on the gas mileage front, it should be just as good as what we've seen on the sedans.

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T, 2000 Honda Insight
Vehicle Showcase
In my experience with the 4 new honda's i've had in the past 8 years gas mileage is awful until breakin, but it does go up slightly as weeks and miles go by. My 8th gens started out pulling 16-28mpg but by time i hit the first 8000 miles they were averaging 32-38 and were capable of 41+.

Same with my 9th gens. So i'd say no worries on the gas mileage front, it should be just as good as what we've seen on the sedans.
Not unless there is a definite gearing difference. I doubt there is, just saying.

mvance30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 si
I am really curious of how it handles. I highly dislike how my 15 SI drives and handles. Maybe with better tires it wouldn't be so bad.

87Si89Base16EXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX-T '13 Accord Sport '08 Scion xD '94 Altima
5th paragraph - "At this point, Honda’s CVT automatic is the sole transmission for the 1.5-liter turbo. A big serving of turbo torque starts below 2000 rpm and keeps the CVT from having to zing into the higher revs in normal driving. In drive or sport mode, the transmission “shifts” virtual gears and the changing revs eliminate the unrelenting high-rpm wail characteristic of CVTs. In low mode, the CVT does hold the engine near the redline from about 40 mph until the governor engages at 125 mph. We achieved the quickest acceleration times with the transmission in low. Stepping through the fake gears added a couple of tenths to zero-to-60 runs. And unlike the previous car’s CVT, there isn’t any way to select or hold “gears” if you wish to shift for yourself."

I'm guessing this is C&D's difference between the sedan's 6.8 0-60 and coupe 6.6. They used S when they tested the sedan last fall. Found another site (Edmunds long term test) who tested the sedan in L and got 6.7.

Last edited:

SoichiroSan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI Sport, '17 Si coupe
This car would be perfect with a manual transmission. It would totally spank my dearly departed 8th-gen Si. Makes me wonder just how much better the new Si will be. I salivate.

Jon Snow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic Blue Metallic
Country flag
Why is the 0-60 time faster than the 5-60 time? Is that normal. It doesn't make sense to me.

Jon Snow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic Blue Metallic
Country flag
One unknown is the weight of the driver and/or passengers between the sedan and coupe tests. I don't know if they attempt to eliminate this factor somehow (maybe by having the same driver or adding compensating weight) but it could be significant.

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I am really curious of how it handles. I highly dislike how my 15 SI drives and handles. Maybe with better tires it wouldn't be so bad.
I actually thought the 2013-15 Si handled pretty solidly. It wasn't as tight as my 2006 Si, but God- nothing was as awful as the 2012 Si. I've been in tighter Corollas than that car there was so much body roll and drifting.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
5th paragraph - "At this point, Honda’s CVT automatic is the sole transmission for the 1.5-liter turbo. A big serving of turbo torque starts below 2000 rpm and keeps the CVT from having to zing into the higher revs in normal driving. In drive or sport mode, the transmission “shifts” virtual gears and the changing revs eliminate the unrelenting high-rpm wail characteristic of CVTs. In low mode, the CVT does hold the engine near the redline from about 40 mph until the governor engages at 125 mph. We achieved the quickest acceleration times with the transmission in low. Stepping through the fake gears added a couple of tenths to zero-to-60 runs. And unlike the previous car’s CVT, there isn’t any way to select or hold “gears” if you wish to shift for yourself."

I'm guessing this is C&D's difference between the sedan's 6.8 0-60 and coupe 6.6. They used S when they tested the sedan last fall. Found another site (Edmunds long term test) who tested the sedan in L and got 6.7.
http://www.civicx.com/threads/purchased-touring-model-last-friday.630/page-2#post-7759
:cool:

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Why is the 0-60 time faster than the 5-60 time? Is that normal. It doesn't make sense to me.
0-60 they can brake-torque by pressing on the accelerator and brake at the same time, to build up revs and boost before launching. Kind of the same idea as what drag racers do. 5-60mph, they just get up to 5mph then floor it. 5-60 would be more representative of the acceleration time that most people achieve when flooring it from a stop.
Sponsored