2016 Civic Touring Sedan vs. 2002 S2000

1. Dicecube

Dicecube Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Honda Civic Touring
    I have been unhappy with my Touring for 13 months straight out of 14 months of ownership and instead of living with this piece of crap, I have been looking around at what's out there. I have decided on getting an S2000 because it compliments what I want in a car, mainly a pure enthusiasts driving experience. In my location, s2ks are scarce and what is out there is overpriced. I was even thinking of heading south of the border to pick up one of these gems at a steal of a price. Last night, one of the s2ks that was previously overpriced, was lowered by 5k. Today I went in, took it for a test drive, was thoroughly amazed that Honda came out with this beautiful machine but scaled it back with the newer unexciting lineup. Yes I know s2ks did not sell well so they ended production on them but they should have incorporated the s2000 in some way with modern cars instead of steering away from it. I was sold.

Until the salesman said there's 11 thousand damage on it. So my quest to get rid of this CVTrash is ongoing for now.

2. mis3

mis3 Senior Member

First Name:
    PT
    Car(s):
    Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
    11 thousand damage? CVTrash?
    Can you please elaborate?

3. OP
    OP
    Dicecube

Dicecube Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Honda Civic Touring
    11k damage on the s2k I was looking at which in turn was a deal breaker for me. Honda uses this unexciting cvt that totally neuters the driving experience in the civic so I think of it as trash.

4. Stock_07

Stock_07 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Civic LX
    Are you planning on driving the s2000 daily and in winter? Every Cvt car I had I like for the first month then wanted a manual again. Lesson learned, always buy manual.

5. charleswrivers

charleswrivers Senior Member

EMNCS(SS)
    First Name:
    Charles
    Car(s):
    '14 Odyssey EX-L '18 Civic SI Sedan '94 300zx twin turbo 2001 Ford F-150 Sport
    11k in damage?! Thats half or more of what the car is worth. I think their price has gotten out of hand. As crazy as it sounds, my cousin traded a mint low mileage CRX plus $1000 for a S2000 w/over 100k miles. Kid wanted the CRX to mod and make much faster than the S2000. My cousin works on charter yachts and the car spent most of it's like in the garage. So... yeah, he took the deal. That was probably 10 years ago now. He still has the S2000.

I didn't think S2000s commanded that high of a price... though I just looked on Auto trader and saw some examples at nearly 30k, though most are 15-25k. I swear they were a lot cheaper a few years ago.

6. Donuyen18

Donuyen18 Senior Member

Car(s):
    Honda s2000
    I was expecting a side by side comparison or pro vs con list but all your doing is having buyers remorse. Obviously if you're looking a driving experience, civic should not have been on your list. Each person is different and will have different preferences on what they want to get put of their vehicle. I traded in my 2005 s2k for my ex hatch and I'd do it again given the chance. For me, I drive an hour in traffic to and from work so having an automatic was better for me. Don't get me wrong, the moments I was in my s2k with the top down with no traffic around was pure bliss. However, the drivers experience was not enough to overcome that commute, poor gas mileage, buying premium gas, $60 oil changes, expensive insurance, maintenance on a old vehicle, trunk space, 2 seats, no tech, over priced after market parts, wear and tear of a 12 year car, etc... my point is there's always positives and negatives to everything. Throwing up the peace sign to s2k owners as they drove by always felt great. Like a secret club

7. Rawnerve1

Rawnerve1 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2010 crv
    Did you test drive the civic before you bought it?

fiatlux and Donuyen18 thanked this.
  8. internalaudit

internalaudit Member

Car(s):
    2002 Civic 5 M/T, 2011 I4 Accord Coupe 5 A/T
    Are you leasing your Touring or is it paid off? I may be interested, lol, if the price is right.

9. brienp

brienp Senior Member

Car(s):
    Honda Civic Coupe Touring
    wait, so you bought a sedan and are now upset it doesn't meet the driving enthusiasm of a two seat roadster? Yeah, man, I totally hate it when I buy a minivan and the piece of crap doesnt handle like a corvette. total disappointment.

10gCiViC, fiatlux, TheComebackKid and 5 others thanked this.
  10. jeremiah

jeremiah Senior Member

First Name:
    Jeremiah
    Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic Si coupe, 1999 Lexus Gs300
    #10 jeremiah, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    IMG_4811.jpg

S2000s are great cars, here in California they do command a high resale price due to the market demand and the face they are discontinued.

Garage queen examples sell for $25-35K
    Daily driven examples with average mileage are $17-22K
    Salvage title and or beat up ones are priced around $15K and below.

One of the last great Hondas made next to the NSX. (not the hybrid NSX, the OG model)

As for the OP, good choice going to a S2000...though an automatic civic is a whole different animal.
    Cant even compare the two.

11. charleswrivers

EMNCS(SS)
    First Name:
    Charles
    Car(s):
    I still feel like I was finding them for 10k-20k all over the place 6-8 years ago when I looked at getting one and ultimately decided I was uninterested... with a bunch being closer to 10k. Did they come out w/another F&TF movie where the S2000 was the hero vehicle...?

Anyways, agreed. Totally different cars. I still keep my old turbo Z for fun when the Civic cannot scratch that itch. I still went more 'sporty' by getting the SI, but it's still my slow fun car.

12. jeremiah

jeremiah Senior Member

First Name:
    Jeremiah
    Car(s):
    #12 jeremiah, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    You are correct, they were selling for much less before the demand rose. And no S2K hero vehicle...just a raw rwd vtec screaming Honda that people want.

Here are some cars in California that ive seen rise up in resale:
    1. S2000
    2. Nsx
    3. Nissan 240sx/300zx
    4. Bmw E30
    5. Acura Intega Gsr/Type R
    6. Honda Crx

I can say that while newer cars offer the refinement....older cars just have that raw feeling. Less weight, electronics, better clutch feel, etc.
    Even the RSX and 8th gen Civic Si has a pretty raw feel for a modern car compared to the 10th generation Hondas.

nissan-240sx-s14-kouki-1.jpg

Nissans went up in resale price cause everyone and their grandma wants to be a mad drifter yo.
    Plus finding clean stock examples is damn near impossible, so when one does arise its price is through the roof.

Any photos of your Z?

13. charleswrivers

EMNCS(SS)
    First Name:
    Charles
    Car(s):
    Well... I've got the 300zx covered, but they have not risen in price much on the east coast. N/As with TT swaps are a dime a dozen. My '94 TT (a real one w/a 5 speed) has the solenoid based HICAS that we're on 94-95 so I don't have to worry about leaks like my '90 had. Tall spoiler. No OBDII and still have VVT unlike the 96s.

I guess this is were I fail as a Honda fan, despite me owning a bunch and liking them. The S2000, to me, was just like a fast Miata. Very purist sports car but no allure. They never grew on me. I guess a big heavy, technology ridden, laggy, twin turbo powered machine that, IMO, is just about the prettiest thing a man ever designed to go down a road stole my heart when I was 16. I've had 5 Zs since then, and stopped at Z32s. To each their own.

FB_IMG_1510419051938.jpg

neteng101, Civics4Ever and jeremiah thanked this.
  14. jeremiah

jeremiah Senior Member

First Name:
    Jeremiah
    Car(s):
    Beautiful 300Z you have there, how many miles do you have on her?
    Never sell her.

Back in the day my friend's cousin had a 2+2 and I never paid much attention to it. I was to much into Hondas to really open my eyes to other makes and models.

Now I can see the appeal after getting to ride in one.
    The fighter jet esque cockpit view from the driver's seat is great.

5599411238_7fc2441f45_b.jpg

15. charleswrivers

EMNCS(SS)
    First Name:
    Charles
    Car(s):
    I got it with 90k miles probably 4 years ago. It's at 101k now. I don't drive it often, but what miles it gets are hard miles.

I've sunk too much money, well more than the value of the car itself into it since I've had it. New turbos, Intercoolers, exhaust, new OEM adjustable dampers, A/C loop is all new, cooling system replaced, lots of the leather interior bits, BOSE system ripped out for something that actually works, the normal 60k maintenance stuff, big injectors, dual intake through 2 MAFs and a Selin translator, ECU, clutch. She could use a real tune though no one around these parts will touch it. Gotta drive a few hours but it'll happen eventually. Needs a fresh coat of paint too, and that'll happen eventually as well.

Too much damn money... but after 5 of them, it's probably the last Z I'll ever have. Might as well do it all. And no... I won't sell it. Even though it doesn't get driven much and it doesn't have ONE SINGLE cupholder I know I'd regret it and end up having to get another. Its a 'hold on tight!' kind of experience.

jeremiah thanked this.