martyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boring Accord family hauler
Based on the history of introducing the 06 and 11, yes.

And don't rule out this spy shot as the test bed for the Si (vs. Type R). It's a stretch but, without engine shots, plausible:

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic Si available March 2016, Type-R info/preview at 2016 Geneva Motor Show? 2018-honda-civic-type-r-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100530324_l
I'd love to see an Si this modified from the base models but what would that leave for the Type R? This already has brembos, wide fenders, high spoiler.
Sponsored

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
So back on topic. Where do we think this new Si is going to be priced ???
The current 2015 Civic Si sedan has a list price, before destination, of $23,090. I think that's a lot of performance car for that money.

The 2016 Golf GTI 6MT lists for $25,595 before destination, but it has a 2.0 liter turbo.

If Honda puts a 2.0 liter turbo in the next Si, my guess is Honda will price it below the GTI. My guess if Honda is going with the 2.0 would be that new Civic Sedan with a manual transmission will list for about $24,500 before destination, making it $1100 less than a comparable GTI.

If, however, Honda puts the 1.5T in the Si, but we assume would give it VTEC, a more powerful turbo, and tune it to run on premium (giving it maybe 210 hp?), then maybe we're looking at a price only modestly higher than the current model, maybe $23.5 before destination.

What do others think?

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
All cars have gotten better over the years. And nearly all new models will go 100K trouble free.

The key difference is that both Honda & Toyota contract with a greater ratio of top tier suppliers including Denso, NGK, Tsubaki, Fujikura, and others. So while most motors go 200K with regular maintenance: other things such as AC compressors, alternators, coil packs, wiring harnesses, sensors, and injectors may start failing in some other brands.
Have you ever owned a VW up to 100k? I'm guessing not. But in general I more or less agree that most engines will go 100k easy if you give them regular oil changes. It's the other stuff that tends to break.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
The current 2015 Civic Si sedan has a list price, before destination, of $23,090. I think that's a lot of performance car for that money.

The 2016 Golf GTI 6MT lists for $25,595 before destination, but it has a 2.0 liter turbo.

If Honda puts a 2.0 liter turbo in the next Si, my guess is Honda will price it below the GTI. My guess if Honda is going with the 2.0 would be that new Civic Sedan with a manual transmission will list for about $24,500 before destination, making it $1100 less than a comparable GTI.

If, however, Honda puts the 1.5T in the Si, but we assume would give it VTEC, a more powerful turbo, and tune it to run on premium (giving it maybe 210 hp?), then maybe we're looking at a price only modestly higher than the current model, maybe $23.5 before destination.

What do others think?

I hope they don't use the 1.5 t But I hope price doesn't go up too much. The current engine would be awesome. The 2.0t would be great too. Honestly I thought the new turbo civic was going to be A lot more money then it is now. So My thinking is that What is the difference in cost from a 1.5 engine to a 2.0 engine. Does any one know if the 2.0 that is in the base the same engine as the type R but without the turbo? My thinking is mass producing becomes cheaper at a point.

OP
OP
MeGustaVtec

MeGustaVtec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
The 2.0 from the base model is not the same. It's internals are very diffrent from that of a Turbo engine from the Type R. Hopefully we can ge the 2.0 Turbo from Europe on the future Si.

Shralper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Acura RSX Type S
Country flag
What do others think?
I think that unless Honda puts a 250HP+ motor in the SI, they are wasting their time (and ours).

If that means the price has to go up 2 or 3 thousand, then so be it. Hell, even the base Focus ST is over $25k...as well as the GTI. WRX is even higher. If the Honda can't compete with these cars, what's the point of the SI model? It will continue to languish where it is now. Nowhere.

s2ker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000
Does any one know if the 2.0 that is in the base the same engine as the type R but without the turbo? My thinking is mass producing becomes cheaper at a point.
Not the same. That's why few people have said why doesn't Honda just turbo the 2.0L base engine. Everyone wants the 2.0T from the Type R because it's just that much better platform to work from.

I think that unless Honda puts a 250HP+ motor in the SI, they are wasting their time (and ours).

If that means the price has to go up 2 or 3 thousand, then so be it. Hell, even the base Focus ST is over $25k...as well as the GTI. WRX is even higher. If the Honda can't compete with these cars, what's the point of the SI model? It will continue to languish where it is now. Nowhere.
I'm on board with this guy. The 2016 Touring model is already $3500 more than the current Si sedan so it's not like 2-3 thousand increase in price will shock anyone, especially if it gets the performance boost over the current Si needed to be competitive with those cars.

///Mookster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I agree they need to take the CTR up a level if it wants to be taken seriously. Priced a few thousand more would still make it cheaper than just about any of the competitors it will be compared against.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
What if The si powertrain is the 1.5t with Electric motors for the rear wheels and its a super handling AWD and gets almost Hybrid mileage driven normal with regular gas. Driven hard still gets better mileage then current Si. Outside the box idea but electric motors are going to be awesome when used correctly and affordably.

disco13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 accord v6
I'm not sure they need to put in that size motor at all. If the driving dynamics and packaging is solid then they can give us 210-230 w/ 200-240 lb-ft and I'm sure people would take it over a GTI or ST. We still don't knw what the CTR will give us exactly but let's just say 300HP. I'm pretty sure an Si in the low-mid 200HP range and a CTR around 300HP will please us.

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
I think it will be within $500 of the current one if it keeps the N/A. If it goes turbo than $500-1000, and if they add an automatic as an option +$1000.
Agreed. Obviously Honda's been aggressive on pricing the new model, barely increasing pricing and even dropping pricing for one of the models. Where we saw any significant rise in price was for the new turbo engine ($1100 increase from the 2.0L to the 1.5T in the EX model), so I think any increase the Si sees will be $1100 or under. Maybe hopeful thinking but I think that this is a realistic guess.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Also think the tlx engine dct combo as well as awesome manual would be awesome for Si. You could potentially get 37 mpg highway driven normal. Because tlx gets 35 and it's heavier.

OP
OP
MeGustaVtec

MeGustaVtec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
I'd love to see an Si this modified from the base models but what would that leave for the Type R? This already has brembos, wide fenders, high spoiler.
Transmission, suspension and type r button. The type r is more of a factory track car. Hard on a pothole road.

Red Traveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
If i had to guess? Probably not far off from the current car just like the rest of the civic lineup... i don't see more than maybe a $500 or price increase, if that. What i see them doing is potentially offering 2 versions of the Si... one that mirrors the EX-T in features and one that mirrors the touring features possibly or at least a leather option, which they haven't had up to this point but i think alot of Si buyers would be interested in.
Has the Si historically been fully equipped like the upper trims? I can see multiple trims working. It is not so niche that the demand would not be there. I think they just need to price it right.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
I see them going cloth seats imo. All I know is I want a nice engine awesome rims spoiler. Alight aggressive body kit. And a dct ha. Oh and not more then 25 manual or 26 auto. Is this asking too much?
Sponsored