2016 Civic Owners-Biggest Surprises/Disappointments so far?

Dappercoupe16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic coupe 2016
Hello, To shorten it up briefly here is a list (This list is mostly fit for EX-T models and up)

NEGATIVES:
Lack off volume button (easy to get used to)
No sun-glass holder
Worst turbo gauge
And probably the worst thing in my opinion would have to be the center console. The worst creation ever there is no need to have so many sliding parts and dividers that pop off all the time! i have had the car for a year and man this the only thing i cant get used to its just a terrible idea and creation.

POSITIVES:
Turbocharged models are quite powerful (especially if tuned) Sleeper!
Great! mpg
Tablets Customization
Heated seats are great.
No turbo lag!
Seats are comfortable for long trips
Hearing the turbo on a cold day
Great steering wheel.

Overall, I love this car its great for the price, i recommend the EX-T models and up not only are you getting an underrated engine with more power than whats printed on paper but at the same time your saving a lot of money on gas. The android tablet inside is pretty good for being and android tablet. Its a beautiful reliable car for a great price.

Tip: If you have one of the turbocharged models i HIGHLY recommend a tune you will be leaving some people in shock :)
Sponsored

Roombo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T w/ HS
Country flag
@aetheric-continua - The camera resolution is fine, and there is a good reason for it. Higher megapixel count cameras get less light, imagine packing in 500,000 pixels in a camera sensor, or 5,000,000 in the exact same size sensor. The 500k pixels can be way, way bigger hence they pick up more light which is very, very important on a camera you'll use at night.

You can make up for small dense pixels in the sensor by slowing down the shutter speed and letting in more light but then you'll get motion blur which is less than ideal when using a camera to navigate in reverse and or try to see something other than a blur at 60 on the highway at night with the lane watch camera.

You could get a bigger size sensor, so you could get more pixels in a big sensor but then you'd have a lens like a big Nikon SLR camera hanging off your cars mirror and trunk lol. Compromising is the name of the game here. Sorry about all the info, I'm a bit of a camera geek due to work related reasons. I specifically sweat the details on low light cameras, resolutions and other odd stuff in applications totally not related to photography lol.
All I know is that there is significant downgrade from my 2014 Civic in both cameras. Night visibility is also sub-par.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
All I know is that there is significant downgrade from my 2014 Civic in both cameras. Night visibility is also sub-par.
The fact that Honda was not even in the top 5 for reliability made me want to cry. I cannot believe Kia beat them out. Had a lot of problems with my Civic, I was very disappointed in it.
Loved the styling, the seats were super comfy, the turbo was a hoot, but the constant trips to the dealership to get things fixed was annoying AF.

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
I'm at 10,400 miles and not a single issue for me (yet!). I don't care about the volume control since I use steering wheel controls and LOVE Android Auto. Won't get a vehicle without it again. I really love the vehicle.

89AKurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T, 1969 Chevrolet C-10 pickup
Country flag
What's so difficult and expensive about welding on towing attachments?

SumDuud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX
Country flag
A few of my gripes are pretty minor and subjective to my preferences but include:
  • the display when I am listening to the radio - it crams words together and doesn't utilize over 1/3 of the right side of the screen. USB playback doesn't have this issue and I'm not sure why it is like that or how to change it
  • Sensitivity of the "Steering Required" when I am driving with gloves on or going straight for a while and not moving my hand
  • not being able to adjust the head rest in the back seats
  • seatbelt clasp/buckle feels cheap IMO
  • Assistive cruise control can be flaky and annoying at times
  • When I slow down to almost a stop and then try to go, the car lags like it wants me to make a complete stop before it gets moving
  • Not being able to display podcast info through car play (or whatever its called) and have Waze open on my phone. Phone and head unit have to be on the same app. I like having the controls for the audio playback on my podcast app while I drive, but also want to be able to monitor traffic, accidents and police reports in Waze
  • Rear cup holders in the armrest are pretty shallow and my kids can't really have their drinks in them without risk of spill
  • Road noise, its not a huge deal but moving from an 07 camry to this, the noise level was noticeable (expected I guess for comparison)
What I love:
  • The look of the car, I get compliments all of the time on it
  • Honda Sensing, having the car make minor turns in the road is amusing to me
  • Car is comfortable, I drive about 90 miles each way to work and it feels good
  • steering wheel system controls are convenient and I like them better than what I had on my 07 Camry
  • USB ports for charging and playing
  • roominess - I was able to fit 16 8' long 2x3s and 2 4x8 OSB boards cut into quarters in my 16 civic and get it home from home depot. Seats folded down and boards coming up to the front, but it worked!
Worthless grips but would be nice to have:
  • I would like some kind of change drawer, the one in the arm rest console area is ok for a little shelf, but a drawer with a little more depth would be preferred by me
  • I'd love to be able to activate the rear camera like I can the side camera so I can see how close that jerk is on my arse
  • can't figure out how to play video when I am stopped. When I am sitting at practice waiting on my kids or with the littlest in the car, a video might be nice
  • Would like to display the speedometer as a traditional needle reading instead of big numbers
  • Would like to start it and walk away and be able to lock it. Remote start has it locked, but sometimes I want to leave it running and lock it
There are probably more across the board (good and bad) but these are what come to mind now. Overall I love the car!

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Worthless grips but would be nice to have:
  • I'd love to be able to activate the rear camera like I can the side camera so I can see how close that jerk is on my arse
There's a video on Youtube with a guy throwing his car into reverse in a Ford Fusion, at highway speeds. Absolutely stupid, but the results were that the backup camera and lights come on, while the car maintained speed and the transmission didn't grenade.

Again, DO NOT TRY. But if you do, please report back what happens :)

SumDuud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX
Country flag
There's a video on Youtube with a guy throwing his car into reverse in a Ford Fusion, at highway speeds. Absolutely stupid, but the results were that the backup camera and lights come on, while the car maintained speed and the transmission didn't grenade.

LOL! NO farking way.... though before I went for a test drive it I read a review talking about the parking brake not being able to be activated while car war moving and that is false.... Maybe in a rental.;)

SumDuud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX
Country flag
Something that I LOVE that just came to mind... the inability to lock your keys in your trunk!!! Came across it by accident after a practice the other day. Had my keys in my backpack and put it in the trunk, shut the trunk and it popped open. Always paranoid about doing that in the past. Not that my civic keys ever leave my pocket, cuz why would they but this is a sweet feature!

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag

And please text what happens while driving backwards.

Last edited:

chasexway

Almost Stock & Enjoys Other People's Mods!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rallye Red 2016 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
New Civic owners .. Any good stuff you can share that the guys behind you should know about?

What are the biggest surprises (positive) and disappointments so far?
My dissapointments so far:
*whining mode on*
1. The civic ex sedan 2016 didn't come stock with piano black grille
2. Anybody has been inside the interior, it's a joke! If they made a compartment for your phone, at least make sure the cable comes out from under the iphone, not above! That makes us having to flip the iphones upside down.
3. Civic sedan ex doesn't come with steering wheel manual shifter thingy.
4. S mode is cool, but come on, on cvt models you don't get manual shifter option??? Even my 2016 sienna has it.
5. It's a civic. People buy this model to be seen as a sporty person. Why the front seats are not racing seats?
6. Orange side markers. Really? Luckily ijdmtoy sells clear ones.
7. Rear seats can't be adjusted a little?
8. Backup cam is useless without warning sounds! When i'm about to run over my grandma, it doesn't warn me about anything! Now we have to pay for her funeral. My sienna has that feature.
9. Civic. Again. A sporty car. Give us a stock black roof! Like my 2006 scion tc! Now i gotta pay for a wrap!

I still love them though.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
My dissapointments so far:
*whining mode on*
1. The civic ex sedan 2016 didn't come stock with piano black grille
2. Anybody has been inside the interior, it's a joke! If they made a compartment for your phone, at least make sure the cable comes out from under the iphone, not above! That makes us having to flip the iphones upside down.
3. Civic sedan ex doesn't come with steering wheel manual shifter thingy.
4. S mode is cool, but come on, on cvt models you don't get manual shifter option??? Even my 2016 sienna has it.
5. It's a civic. People buy this model to be seen as a sporty person. Why the front seats are not racing seats?
6. Orange side markers. Really? Luckily ijdmtoy sells clear ones.
7. Rear seats can't be adjusted a little?
8. Backup cam is useless without warning sounds! When i'm about to run over my grandma, it doesn't warn me about anything! Now we have to pay for her funeral. My sienna has that feature.
9. Civic. Again. A sporty car. Give us a stock black roof! Like my 2006 scion tc! Now i gotta pay for a wrap!

I still love them though.
I don't see how any of these can be a surprise, because you would have known it before you bought it...lol.

The Sienna has a traditional automatic, not a CVT. You realllly don't need shifter paddles, especially on a car with CVT - it just doesn't make sense.
It's a Civic! Most people buy it because it's reliable, and a little less boring than the Corolla. It's not meant to be "sporty". You want a sporty Civic, get the Si or the Type R lol - those will have bucket seats. The regular Civics are still a plebeian compact car.
Orange sidemarkers are a legal requirement in North America.
Backup camera is fine, what you're looking for are backup sensors.

I know you're nitpicking, and so am I, but to think a Civic is ACTUALLY a sporty car, you have a grossly loose definition of a "sporty car."

chasexway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see how any of these can be a surprise, because you would have known it before you bought it...lol.

The Sienna has a traditional automatic, not a CVT. You realllly don't need shifter paddles, especially on a car with CVT - it just doesn't make sense.
It's a Civic! Most people buy it because it's reliable, and a little less boring than the Corolla. It's not meant to be "sporty". You want a sporty Civic, get the Si or the Type R lol - those will have bucket seats. The regular Civics are still a plebeian compact car.
Orange sidemarkers are a legal requirement in North America.
Backup camera is fine, what you're looking for are backup sensors.

I know you're nitpicking, and so am I, but to think a Civic is ACTUALLY a sporty car, you have a grossly loose definition of a "sporty car."
Haha.. Like i said, that was just me with "whining mode" on. At the end of the day i bought it. :) That's as sporty as you can get for a new car with this price range. Let me just close it again with saying again.. i still love them! Cheers

chasexway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, so i posted my whining about what i don't like.

So these are the things i love about it:

1. Constant compliments about the car. My car still has spreen honda plates on it, so when i park in the mall lots, people would stop and stare at it. They think it's a showroom car.
2. Carplay. Beats bluetooth. Nuff said.
3. Materials used for the seat cloth. Really easy to clean the dirts from my kids shoes.
4. Dat e-brake flick switch.
5. The front of the car looks like it's saying "move over, i'm young but been to prison before, and not think twice before unplugging usb flash drive from my laptop unsafely."
6. The back of the car looks like i might have known some car designers from planet uranus. Really futuristic.
7. Rallye red. During the night it looks kind of like an expensive sports car. Might be able to pickup intoxicated female easier.
8. Remote start. Never fail to impress anyone.
9. Capless fuel tank. Feels like in college again. We just stick it in there. No hassles of having to unscrew a cap or ask her parents' permission.
10. This car is so smart. My wife puts her keys in her purse and i put it in the trunk. After i close the trunk, it would reopen by itself and beeps! It doesn't want us to leave the keys inside the trunk!
11. The license plate light already comes stock with white leds????? Got dam
12. The rearview mirror has some colors, not just matte black material.
13. It's a civic. Which is the most affordable good looking new car i can afford.
14. I bought it.

Canndo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda White 4-Door -Turbo 1.5
2016 civic 1.5 Touring, (Pro) USB, Remote start, No fuel cap, MPG---MPG----MPG WHEN YOU DRIVE GOOD, It's most affordable. (Con) No glove box light, Bad or not good Backup camera night visibility. And this car isn't a sleeper. It will never be a tuner, not like a Evo ,VW , supra and others cars. Great car to have fun with. Hey here's some mpg to day. The roads we drive on range from 25,35.45.55, city limit and some highways fairly flat.. I agree with a lot of others about this car, we have driven it good. Enjoy yours.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic Owners-Biggest Surprises/Disappointments so far? DSCN1376.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic Owners-Biggest Surprises/Disappointments so far? DSCN1373.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic Owners-Biggest Surprises/Disappointments so far? DSCN1377.JPG