2016 Civic Owners-Biggest Surprises/Disappointments so far?

Revver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Subaru Legacy SE Sedan
New Civic owners .. Any good stuff you can share that the guys behind you should know about?

What are the biggest surprises (positive) and disappointments so far?
Sponsored

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
I'm a soon to be owner and took my vehicle out for a ride today. I've read and seen many reviews about the Civic in the last month and always brushed off comments regarding the lack of a volume knob but I tell you, they are correct. The lack of a volume knob will take some getting used to as I adjusted the volume/ heat setting a few times on the test drive. I did play with the on-screen volume control and the steering wheel control and like the steering wheel control but again, it will take some time before I get used to it.

I thought I would hate the shark fin on the roof but it's barely noticeable from the front or front quarters.

The steering felt a little less crisp than my 2006 Civic EX (running Nokian Hakka 7) but still felt very good and direct, no lag or wobbly feeling like the ninth gen I've driven.

One more little surprise was how sloped the screen is. I didn't remember noticing how sloped it was in all the pics and videos I saw but will probably notice it if I review any of them.

Apart from that I loved the car, from the little indents/ handles in the side of the trunk lid that are exposed after popping the trunk open to the cavernous center console to the awesome seats. Oh, the wife absolutely loved the heated seats, she couldn't stop grinning all along our test ride.

I pick up my Touring Nov 21 so I'll have more to say then.

Last edited:

Aetheric Continua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Just got my EX today but did several test drives before.

Positive would be I like the Lane Watch more than I was expecting.

Disappointment would be its (and the rear camera)'s resolution. I'm expecting Honda to improve this before I finish paying this car off, but I'm overall super pleased.

Android Auto is awesome, the fact that the armrest is level with the shifter, the almost unexpected pep to the 2.0, the sleeker dash, the amount of adjustment with the steering wheel and driver seat makes it so I can dial everything in for an ideal, comfortable arrangement.

nebbiolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2005
Country flag
Now just a little bit more than 24 hours with my Canadian Civic LX. Love the car so far. Only thing I find strange is that according to the manual voice commands are limited compared to Touring. For instance I can ask to "Play <song>" but it appears that "Tune to 97.7 FM" is limited to navigation-equipped cars. Same thing for climate controls. Why implement only half the voice commands for non-Touring cars? Either do them all or none at all. Unless it *is* supported on the LX and it is just me who cannot find what to say for the car to recognize... Time will tell.

jdewd250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean blue EX hatch has joined my 2016 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
Biggest surprise is just how peppy the 2.0 liter motor is, don't get me wrong, it isn't a race car by any stretch of the imagination.

But it can get you up to highway speed with little effort.

The CVT is quite smooth.

Not a big disappointment, more of an inconvenience, but the 4 way button on the steering wheel that advances the tracks on the playlist right and left, changes sources up and down.

The only problem is in my 2014 CR-V ( which I have driven for a year now and 36,000 miles) up and down control's volume.

So I have inadvertently changed sources while trying to change the volume on the stereo.

No big deal, just the old dog new tricks thing coming into play.

I will adjust to it.

Aetheric Continua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
The only problem is in my 2014 CR-V ( which I have driven for a year now and 36,000 miles) up and down control's volume.

So I have inadvertently changed sources while trying to change the volume on the stereo.

I will adjust to it.
I have the same issue coming from driving my girlfriend's 2015 Civic :) But hers is a lease while mine is financed so I'm confident that we'll get a lot more use out of mine in the future, giving me plenty of time to get re-acclimated to the steering wheel controls.

manhunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas
I'm a soon to be owner and took my vehicle out for a ride today. I've read and seen many reviews about the Civic in the last month and always brushed off comments regarding the lack of a volume knob but I tell you, they are correct. The lack of a volume knob will take some getting used to as I adjusted the volume/ heat setting a few times on the test drive. I did play with the on-screen volume control and the steering wheel control and like the steering wheel control but again, it will take some time before I get used to it.
I think the lack of volume control is an issue sometimes when the passenger wants to turn down the volume. This happens more often than you would think. There's been times I was driving and the wife would be riding shotgun and get a phone call and reach for the volume. Instead of fiddling with the screen controls I can see just asking the driving to do it from the steering wheel buttons. Nitpicky but I can see that being quite annoying sometimes or after a while.

SuperTongue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX w/ Honda Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Biggest surprise is just how peppy the 2.0 liter motor is, don't get me wrong, it isn't a race car by any stretch of the imagination.

But it can get you up to highway speed with little effort.

The CVT is quite smooth.

Not a big disappointment, more of an inconvenience, but the 4 way button on the steering wheel that advances the tracks on the playlist right and left, changes sources up and down.

I will adjust to it.
Agree with all your points. The CVT is really nice getting up to highway speeds and general handling overall. I had the same issue with the volume for the first day as I was used to my 2013 Civic's volume controls. But that volume slider is so cool (and nice), that I've just gotten use to it by playing around haha.

Razer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda HR-V
@aetheric-continua - The camera resolution is fine, and there is a good reason for it. Higher megapixel count cameras get less light, imagine packing in 500,000 pixels in a camera sensor, or 5,000,000 in the exact same size sensor. The 500k pixels can be way, way bigger hence they pick up more light which is very, very important on a camera you'll use at night.

You can make up for small dense pixels in the sensor by slowing down the shutter speed and letting in more light but then you'll get motion blur which is less than ideal when using a camera to navigate in reverse and or try to see something other than a blur at 60 on the highway at night with the lane watch camera.

You could get a bigger size sensor, so you could get more pixels in a big sensor but then you'd have a lens like a big Nikon SLR camera hanging off your cars mirror and trunk lol. Compromising is the name of the game here. Sorry about all the info, I'm a bit of a camera geek due to work related reasons. I specifically sweat the details on low light cameras, resolutions and other odd stuff in applications totally not related to photography lol.

firstblud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I test drove just a Touring today. I was a bit surprised that the engine makes quite a bit of like a wheezing noise when you punch it. Sitting in the car did feel like being in a Civic and the car didn't feel too big. Also I did notice the turbo lag. I was at a couple stop signs and punched it and noticed it does take at least 1 sec (maybe 1.5 seconds) for it to take off. It's definitely peppy once it gets going. The leather interior was OK to me, definitely not something I'd compare to a Lexus, but it felt. Android Auto interface was snappy and responsive and the volume controls are convenient to get to on the UI (it's always there). My two passengers with me felt that the ride was really comfortable, smooth, and quiet compared to my 02' civic. I'm curious to see what other color offerings they have. I only saw black and MSM and they looked boring and lifeless (maybe because they were ridded with dusty rain spots). Rear view visibility was a bit narrower than I would have liked it to be when using the mirrors (so I guess that's where using the backup camera comes into play!).

Initially I was set on getting a Touring, but I think I'm now leaning towards the EX-L because I really don't see myself using all those extra features that the Touring has. The only main selling point was the 450 watt audio system and I can't justify spending an extra $3k for it. Also I just feel like the extra features just become extra points of failures and potential repairs since I wouldn't be using them much. I'm curious to see how it looks in other colors in person when more inventory comes in (the whites, silver, blues, and red).

jdewd250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean blue EX hatch has joined my 2016 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
Another very small annoyance/something to get used to: The seatbelt buckle's "head" is as big as the button used to release the buckle so I often end up pressing on the former when I mean to press the latter.

I do the same.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
I do the same.
Yes, I found that too. I set my seat as low as it goes (I'm tall from butt to head) and had a hard time buckling and unbuckling wearing my winter coat. It doesn't help now that the center armrest is so tall compared to my old Civic.
Sponsored