First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 WOP Civic HB Sport 6MT, '03 Honda CBR600RR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I didnt do any step down on mine and its been running since august 2017. Granted it just gives me the fish eye view but better than nothing. I figured if and when I decide to update my HU to something with Android auto/apply play I'd try and wire up something to get all 3 views.
Sponsored

dcjes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I just replaced the stock backup camera. The Alpine camera I got looks almost factory. I only have 1 view but it works great.

quality_sound

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport HB
Country flag
About 3 months ago I installed:
Polk tweeters/Polk speakers in the front door utilizing the tweeter faceplates (~$30 delivered) from a higher model and installing a passive crossovers inside the door. Speaker cost was ~$120 delivered. I have not done the rear speakers.
No need for me to describe a how to--see the pictures here for the way to do the tweeters/speakers
http://www.civicx.com/threads/2016-ex-t-audio-system-install.3610/

About 10 days ago I received:
Kenwood DDX 773BH DVD Receiver, Metra 95-7812B Faceplate, AXXESS ASWC-1, Metra 70-1731 Harness, Metra 40-HD11 Antenna Adapter. Total Cost was ~$360 delivered.

Additionally, I bought a Metra 70-1729 for the pins to wire the oem bluetooth microphone. for ~$15.

The new DVD receiver has been installed for about 6 days plus, so this post is a little late. The speaker tweeter upgrade made a difference with the stock headunit mostly in terms of clarity and the highs, however midrange and lows were lacking. I couldn't wait to get the lackluster headunit out. The receiver upgrade makes day/night difference in terms of sound, features, etc. I just can't say how much more enjoyable this car is now that it has a better sound system that does not filter out frequencies and has adjustability re crossover points/features/dvd player etc.

My reference articles were the following (Many thanks to the OPs!):

http://www.civicx.com/threads/lx-radio-replacement-thread.2116/
http://www.civicx.com/threads/kit-avail-for-2016-civic.3503/
http://www.civicx.com/threads/ht-take-out-that-lx-radio.1858/
http://contentdocs.installernet.com//documents/product/34201.pdf
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/civic/2016/4dr/foglights.pdf
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/civic/2016/4dr/illuminatedconsolekit.pdf
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/civic/2016/4dr/illuminateddoorsilltrim.pdf
http://www.metraonline.com/files/aswc/ASWC-1_INST_16.pdf
(rear deck removal video so I could run some wire)
http://www.CivicX.com/forum/11-exterior-interior/6826-diy-tail-light-removal-bulb-change.html (however I think OP got some colors switched--DOUBLE CHECK me!)

Some general comments re the install:
My first goal was to get all the connections soldered together. There were some exceptions: the illumination wire off the Kenwood that was connected directly to the rear parking led tailights, the power control wire for a future subwoofer, and the brown wire from the ASWC-1 3.5 adapter directly to the blue/yellow wire of the Kenwood. Butt connectors were used in those 3 connections

Next, I wanted to wire it so that the OEM microphone would work. I used pins from the metra 17-1729 connector and wired it to a stripped 3.5 mm stereo plug. The mic+ goes to pin 22, mic - to pin 23, and the mic shield goes to pin 6.

Then, I ran 2 wires from the driver tail light to the radio. A wire was connected to the reverse light and the led taillight. The positive current from each would trigger the reverse camera and the illumination (dimming) circuit respectively.

Lastly I ran the rca patch cords and remote turn on for the future sub. However after this past week of driving I may just keep the car as is now since I now have plenty of bass from the rear deck speakers and also from the front to satisfy my needs in my commuter car.

Regarding the ASWC-1, I had to program it manually using the directions. It did not auto detect for some reason. Relatively easy to do, just took some time and had to read the directions. ALL steering wheel controls work.

If anyone is undecided on changing out the radio--Just Do It!!
It makes a world of difference!

IMG_3341.JPG

IMG_3342.JPG

IMG_3343.JPG

IMG_3360.JPG

IMG_3361.JPG

For the mic, which wire in the new 3.5mm cable is the positive and which is negative? I would think it wouldn't matter as it would only affect the polarity and should still work, but I wanted to ask before I started making connections.

Thanks!

rjm161

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
For the mic, which wire in the new 3.5mm cable is the positive and which is negative? I would think it wouldn't matter as it would only affect the polarity and should still work, but I wanted to ask before I started making connections.

Thanks!
I went through this the first time and although it worked, everyone said it was pretty muffled sounding. Perhaps I did something wrong.

I ended up removing the original mic from the overhead tray, and put the Pioneer one in there. My fix isn't pretty but it's all hidden and works fantastic.

I just ran the wire tucked up under the headliner, down the A pillar and back over to the deck.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic LX Kenwood Audio Receiver Install rFCmb9Ibd1PS_HBetcWe7PiFodzsBN5fhNcw7QaHdmo1WRk7AiF4uuB44zesTkNq5GTgt9krvbISVpsct=w1944-h1458-no

quality_sound

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport HB
Country flag
I went through this the first time and although it worked, everyone said it was pretty muffled sounding. Perhaps I did something wrong.

I ended up removing the original mic from the overhead tray, and put the Pioneer one in there. My fix isn't pretty but it's all hidden and works fantastic.

I just ran the wire tucked up under the headliner, down the A pillar and back over to the deck.

rFCmb9Ibd1PS_HBetcWe7PiFodzsBN5fhNcw7QaHdmo1WRk7AiF4uuB44zesTkNq5GTgt9krvbISVpsct=w1944-h1458-no.jpg
Right but you have a pioneer and I have a Kenwood. Pioneer uses mono mics and Kenwood uses stereo mics lic the OEM mic. Worst case, I’ll probably leave it on the steering column. It sounds phenomenal there.

rjm161

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Right but you have a pioneer and I have a Kenwood. Pioneer uses mono mics and Kenwood uses stereo mics lic the OEM mic. Worst case, I’ll probably leave it on the steering column. It sounds phenomenal there.
Funny enough, it was my Kenwood that was all muffled sounding with the OEM mic. I had major issues with the Kenwood and sent it back and got the Pioneer. When I installed the deck, that's when I swapped out the mic.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
If you guys are talking about the mic that's used to calibrate and EQ the system; yeah... the polarity and placement will make a huge difference.

I've personally never bothered with that stuff. But if ya' gotta'... I'd hold the mic to the bridge of my nose and calibrate that as a starting point. Then adjust to taste.

quality_sound

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport HB
Country flag
Funny enough, it was my Kenwood that was all muffled sounding with the OEM mic. I had major issues with the Kenwood and sent it back and got the Pioneer. When I installed the deck, that's when I swapped out the mic.
Interesting. I repinned the Metra harness but one of the pins wouldn't line up properly and bent when plugging it in so I said screw it. I was tired of messing with it and just installed the Kenwood mic on the headliner right next to the rearview mirror and my radar detector. Sounds great and is very hard to see. Apparently it sounds great up there as well.

I do still want to add the satellite antenna OEM cable from the shark fin to the front, but for now I have the antenna on the corner of the dash and it works great.

quality_sound

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport HB
Country flag
I just replaced the stock backup camera. The Alpine camera I got looks almost factory. I only have 1 view but it works great.

DO you have any pics of what your camera looks like installed? I'm half tempted to swap mine.

garrywadams

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic LX
Country flag
Resurrecting an old thread here, but I've been doing some reading and this is the closest thing I've found to what I'm wanting to accomplish. I'm attempting a Kenwood Head Unit install in my '17 Honda Civic LX. I ordered from Crutchfield and they pre-wired the harness up including a 6v stepdown for the camera, but I've got an 8v stepdown I may try to swap it with.

I'm particularly interested in keeping the factory mic and factory camera if I can make it work. Anyone here in this thread ever get those things working with an aftermarket HU? I'd love to pick your brain. Feel free to drop me a PM.

Thanks!

garrywadams

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic LX
Country flag