Featured 2016 Civic engine recall - piston pin snap ring issue affecting some VINs

1. DarkLight

DarkLight Senior Member

Car(s):
    Civic-2016 LX 6MT
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2. StevenK

StevenK Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Civic LX
    if your oil pan seals fail prematurely

3. Brettjod

Brettjod Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Honda Civic LX
    It could do that from factory even

4. micha3lwin

micha3lwin Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 CBP EX-T, 2013 CRV EX
    Has anyone had this issue on a 1.5T? I was on the autobahn going ~160kph and my engine just cut off. No acceleration response from throttle at all and I checked my transmission to make sure I was still in D. I did notice however that the mpg bar was still reacting to throttle even though the my civic wasn't accelerating. Managed to pull over safely and turned off the car. When I tried to start again, the car wouldn't start and there was a noticeable shudder coming from under the hood. I waited a few more seconds and it started. This is a huge concern to me especially traveling on the autobahn..

5. Brettjod

Brettjod Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Honda Civic LX
    That could maybe be because you were going 160 km/h in a civic lol. This issue didn't effect the 1.5 and it would probably happen before going 160 km/h as well.

6. micha3lwin

micha3lwin Senior Member

Car(s):
    Well this could be logical but I've gone a lot faster than 160 km/h. My wife says it's happened to her before but she was only going 25 km/h over a speedbump. So in total there have only been 2 occurances thus far.

7. tacthecat

tacthecat Senior Member

Car(s):
    '12 Civic Si Sedan, '98 Civic EX Coupe 5MT
    Based on your 2 episodes, check for a loose wire/connector. A few members have had issues with loose battery clamps. Doubt the issue was speed related, more likely a bump or vibration.

invader and micha3lwin thanked this.
  8. pwschuh

pwschuh Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Civic LX 6-speed
    160 kph on the Autobahn is just keeping up with traffic.

kbacon and micha3lwin thanked this.
  9. appleseedb

appleseedb New Member

Car(s):
    2016 Civic TCP
    i've experienced this twice with my 1.5T, bought end of last month. Once was a week after got it, 2nd time was last night while driving at around 75kmph suddenly throttle not responding and speed drop to about 20kmph in few secs. i will bring the car to dealer tomorrow. did you get yours fixed? what was the problem?

10. micha3lwin

micha3lwin Senior Member

Car(s):
    I haven't had it fixed yet since I can't pinpoint the exact reason nor can I replicate the issue. Do you happen to have any HIDs installed?

11. appleseedb

appleseedb New Member

Car(s):
    2016 Civic TCP
    mine came with led.. any relation to the issue? i also faced intermittent electrical/electronic issue before - brake light won't off, side mirror won't fold..

12. Brettjod

Brettjod Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Honda Civic LX
    My car was fixed and I have yet to see any issues so far

hondiste thanked this.
  13. alphabetzoop

alphabetzoop Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Honda Civic EX
    Just to point out, my car was part of the 2.0 NA piston snap ring recall, and to my knowledge it was a preventative recall - i.e., Honda didn't find any such cases in North America after completing their inspections. So not to toot Honda's horn or anything but I think their engines are and will continue to be pretty damned reliable.

14. dick w

dick w Senior Member

Car(s):
    '16 Civic Sedan Touring (MSM/GR), '18 CR-V Touring AWD (BRPII/GR)
    They recall all the cars that "could" have been subject to this problem (that they can't prove from their records don't have it) during the time when they didn't properly execute their process to prevent this problem--a manufacturing error that was, apparently, getting caught but the problem sub-assemblies were not getting handled correctly once identified. It was only occurring in one plant making that engine. It was not some generic problem with properly built engines. Once the process is fixed and improved, what's to worry about this problem in new engines?!?

I don't think we know how many problems were found in cars where this was performed. We do know that, as of July 28th, they'd completed the recall (or removed destroyed cars) on 41,027 of 42,129 vehicles total. I bet the number that were found with problems that required more than inspection was no more than single digits, but that's a guess. Nobody has reported a problem found in their vehicles in this forum, IIRC.

tacthecat thanked this.
  15. dick w

dick w Senior Member

Car(s):
    '16 Civic Sedan Touring (MSM/GR), '18 CR-V Touring AWD (BRPII/GR)
    If what is true? Like to know what "what" was about?

A safety recall of vehicles where some are unsold (somewhere between the factory door and customer possession) creates a Stop Sale condition for those unsold vehicles. It's the law. This recall did create a stop sale condition for many vehicles. A stop sale does not necessarily imply a recall. (Say they were forgetting to put the bag of floor mats in the trunk.) A recall, if vehicles are unsold, implies a stop sale.

This recall is not some rumored, unclear, or possibly untrue thing. It happened and is very well documented both here and in public filings available on the NHTSA web site.