dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
When I picked up the car last night, they informed me that my piston rings had, in fact, cracked.
Can you post a scan/photo of the repair order? Wondering what parts they used and how much labor.
Sponsored

SethK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I made my appointment for yesterday and actually received an email the morning of that the parts came in. When I picked up the car last night, they informed me that my piston rings had, in fact, cracked. This was the better option he had said because if you were one of the cars that did not have them at all, it could of been a multi-day fix. I haven't noticed any real differences (maybe a little more "pep" but could be placebo of having to drive my wife's Kia Soul for the day lol).
"Cracked" piston snap ring? That would definitely be a concern as it would indicate poor materials being used in the making of the snap rings. They should certainly not crack and if one did, the others could as well. The recall was for missing or miss-set snap rings which was an assembly issue not a manufacturing issue.

I would verify that statement with your service advisor. Either way, cracked, misset or missing, the repair procedure would be the same and it is not something that would have happened this fast as they are required to first submit the inspection findings for parts, approval, etc. Additionally, if it was cracked, missing or missset, there could be possible damage to the cylinder wall which would mean replacement of the engine block.

If they were able to fix this and have it to you the next day, then I don't see how they could have found that there was a missing, miss-set or cracked piston snap ring.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Perhaps "gap" and "crack" are being used synonymously. The goal of this inspection is to observe that the snap rings are present (i.e., snap ring not missing) and that the expected and normal gap between the ends of the snap ring is roughly 1-1/2 times the width of the piston pin ID-OD (i.e., snap ring not mis-set).

If @ja_rubo had mis-set snap rings that probably would have been multi-day repair as well, if for no other reason than the dealer would have had to get a set of pistons approved and supplied by Honda and that would have been a minimum overnight wait for parts, not to mention the time it would take to do the work. Clarity on this is why I suggested posting a scan of the RO so parts and labor used would be clear.

ja_rubo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX
When I get home today, I will take a picture of the service receipt to show the parts. There were about 8 things off the top of my head.

My2016Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing - Modern Steel Metallic / Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I get home today, I will take a picture of the service receipt to show the parts. There were about 8 things off the top of my head.
8 line items sounds about right for a clean inspection (no issues found) when you take into account the Gaskets they need to replace, HondaBond, Bolts, Oil and other related parts.

My2016Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yep thats what mine said...any idea what these all are for?
These are things they needed to remove to gain access to the areas they needed to inspect.

Even on a clean inspection with no issues found, parts that they could not (should not) re-use, they replaced with new parts.

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
Yea, these posts are exactly why I challenged ja_rubo's initial post on this issue. It just didn't make sense.

ja_rubo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX
Yea, these posts are exactly why I challenged ja_rubo's initial post on this issue. It just didn't make sense.
The service guy could of just not known what he was talking about. I will double check my form just to make sure it was the same.

ja_rubo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX
Sorry forgot to post this when I got home. I was wrong...mine had more than 8. Here are the parts and the description. Mine does appear to have the oil added but my oil life is still where it was.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic engine recall - piston pin snap ring issue affecting some VINs 20160415_051300

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
Sorry forgot to post this when I got home. I was wrong...mine had more than 8. Here are the parts and the description. Mine does appear to have the oil added but my oil life is still where it was.

20160415_051300.jpg
Maybe somebody with more knowledge that I have will disagree, but that looks like an inspection with no problem found.

Also subject to correction by somebody if I'm wrong, but I think I'd reset the oil life maintenance minder, because it looks like you also got new oil, and the owner's manual only calls for a filter replacement every other oil change.

ja_rubo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX
Maybe somebody with more knowledge that I have will disagree, but that looks like an inspection with no problem found.

Also subject to correction by somebody if I'm wrong, but I think I'd reset the oil life maintenance minder, because it looks like you also got new oil, and the owner's manual only calls for a filter replacement every other oil change.
I will give them a call and get to the bottom of everything. A free oil change would be nice (even if I was only at 60% oil life).

My2016Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Based on the service write-up this is definitely an inspection with no problems found, so it seems your car is good, nothing to worry about.

It seems like you had a simple break-down in verbal communication, it happens. I would call them to confirm and clarify what they told you though just to be sure..
Sponsored