2016 Civic 1.5L Turbo Surges at Highway Speeds (45–70 MPH) S.B. #16-028

chrisliese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic exl-t, 2002 Honda s2000 turbo, 2016 Honda Odyssey
New to the forums as of Saturday. My son just bought a new 2016 civic LX non turbo 2 weeks ago. We decided to road trip this last weekend and on the way home cruising at about 70 mph the rpms revved from 2000 to 4000 for several miles. Decided I better get off the freeway and take a look. 920 miles on the car. As I got off the freeway I had throttle but no drive train. Ended up having to push the car into the station. Is this the same issue as with the turbo??? Flashing lights for braking system, check engine, and anti slip. Had to have it towed to a nearby dealership and still waiting to hear the diagnosis. Any help would be appreciated.
Ps I have a video of the dash but not sure how to add that to the post.
I WOULD RETURN THE CAR AND GET A REFUND THEN GO TO ANOTHER DEALER AND START OVER. YOU HAVE 5 DAYS TO RETURN.
Sponsored

eXultanCe

eXult
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
I WOULD RETURN THE CAR AND GET A REFUND THEN GO TO ANOTHER DEALER AND START OVER. YOU HAVE 5 DAYS TO RETURN.
"My son just bought a new 2016 civic LX non turbo 2 weeks ago." Not only that, he's already at 1k miles. Not sure he cant return it at this point.

Mukbang818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Country flag
I want this car so bad, but reading about all these issues has me really hesitant. My local dealer has one on order for me to arrive in the next week but I'm thinking about not taking delivery on it. I feel bad for making the dealer think they got a sale but don't want to get stuck with a problematic car

Tsturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 MDX Advance SH-AWD, 2018 TLX 2.4 w/8DCT
Country flag
Just tell the dealer you have decided you want a 2017, problem solved.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My EXT was manufactured in may 2016. After 1 week, I went from Chicago to Memphis, I experienced no surging. In August I went from Chicago to Texas and back. Again I have not noticed this problem. Are all 1.5 T affected by the bulletin?

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Are all 1.5 T affected by the bulletin?
Highly likely that whatever software fix they were putting on in the field for affected vehicles they rolled into regular production at some point. We don't know when. Probably sometime before this bulletin was issued.

BobM_Jr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Don't take everything read here to mean there are rampant problems with the Civic model. There are about 35,000 Civics rolling off the dealer lots every month there are bound to be problems with some. People are going to come here to complain about problems first and are not likely to come here to rave about their purchase to owners of the same model. I for one have been extremely happy with my Civic EX-T and would buy it again.

I want this car so bad, but reading about all these issues has me really hesitant. My local dealer has one on order for me to arrive in the next week but I'm thinking about not taking delivery on it. I feel bad for making the dealer think they got a sale but don't want to get stuck with a problematic car

eXultanCe

eXult
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Like @BobM_Jr said, if the issues were rampant, we would be seeing many recalls at this point. While I do have some issues with mine, I trust Honda will correct them. They have built their rep for a very long time, and I wouldn't think it'd be now that they'd ruin that.

se7encrows

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Question. How do we know if we have the update in our vehicle? Is there a way to check this in the car?

I'm purchasing an EX-T in the next week and this and the infotainment update are a concern for me.

Tsturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Question. How do we know if we have the update in our vehicle? Is there a way to check this in the car?

I'm purchasing an EX-T in the next week and this and the infotainment update are a concern for me.
I would have the service department run your VIN#, I would think they would be able to see if it needs to be done. I am sure others will chime in. Do you know the build date? Others who have bought recently made vehicles do not seem to be having any issues and as some said earlier, they must have already updated the assembly line PRIOR to releasing it to dealers!!
Good luck and keep us posted!

se7encrows

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I would have the service department run your VIN#, I would think they would be able to see if it needs to be done. I am sure others will chime in. Do you know the build date? Others who have bought recently made vehicles do not seem to be having any issues and as some said earlier, they must have already updated the assembly line PRIOR to releasing it to dealers!!
Good luck and keep us posted!
I don't have a specific one picked out yet. Any ideas on a date I need to be looking for as far as a date that these problems have been remedied? I'm still reading posts and seeing videos as soon as a few days ago. Kind of worrying.

Tsturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Unfortunately I do not know the dates, just remember seeing some post from buyers who recently bought. Look on the inside door jam for build date and try to find one with a recent build date.

chrisliese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic exl-t, 2002 Honda s2000 turbo, 2016 Honda Odyssey
My EXT was manufactured in may 2016. After 1 week, I went from Chicago to Memphis, I experienced no surging. In August I went from Chicago to Texas and back. Again I have not noticed this problem. Are all 1.5 T affected by the bulletin?
Yes. Hold the car at 50 mph on a flat road. Boost should be at one bar. Car will studder as the turbo is on the threshold of boost and vacum

lzaffuto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX and 2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic
Country flag
Is it pretty safe to assume the 2017 hatchbacks won't have this issue?
Sponsored